Non-Ideal American Wheat Yeast Choice Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barleycapable

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy friends, I'm about to try brewing NB's summer shandy which a few friends are very excited about. However, the LHBS is fresh out of American wheat beer yeast, and I don't want to order liquid yeast because of the hellish heat here in Texas.

While at the store I snagged a packet of WB-06 and a pouch of good ol' WLP 001. The Safale dry yeast didn't have much info on it other than "wheat beer yeast," so I figured it might be a decent contender. However, after some research, this yeast seems intended for higher-ester/phenol German styles, not so much American ones.

For an American wheat beer destined to become a shandy, which would you choose, the WB-06 or the WLP 001?

Personally, I would go with WLP 001. It's a clean yeast and with American Wheat's you want a clean yeast profile.

I've had success using S04 as well in case you want to try a different yeast next time.
I brewed an American wheat with lager yeast that turned out good.

"Belgiumy." Is that a word?

Nope. And neither is "Belgiany." But that doesn't stop people from using it to describe some characterstics that are not common to all Belgian beers and that are also found in some non-Belgian beers. Which is unfortunate, because Belgium has arguably the most diverse beer styles of any country.

Thanks for the thoughts and info, everyone! I think I'll go with the 001 this time and save the 06 for something else.
++. Save the WB06 for bread or something. I’m sure there’s a beer style it works well for, but I haven’t found it yet.

I keep a stash of dry yeast in my cupboard so I can brew without making a trip out. RiteBrew is cheap and gives a discount if you order 10 packs, but if you want to push cash to your LHBS instead, that’s totally understandable.

++. Save the WB06 for bread or something. I’m sure there’s a beer style it works well for, but I haven’t found it yet.

I keep a stash of dry yeast in my cupboard so I can brew without making a trip out. RiteBrew is cheap and gives a discount if you order 10 packs, but if you want to push cash to your LHBS instead, that’s totally understandable.
Interesting! I hadn't considered using it for bread.

Good idea re: dry stash, I have a liquid yeast bank but propagating that over and over can be a pain. And I do like to support the LHBS because they're the last one in town and I don't want them to go away too 😥

Back