Belgian Blonde - S-33, Wy3787 or Wy3739-PC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewuuhu

Reaction score
Next up on my to-brew list is a Belgian-style Blonde from a grain kit that I got for free. As far as I can see, it's just a Blonde with some extra floral hops to go with the typical spicy and fruity flavors from Belgian yeast.

The kit comes with Safale S-33, but I didn't see too many good experiences with this yeast when I checked it online. Other options I have in the fridge right now are Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity (used it before in a BDSA, worked great) and Wyeast PC 3739 Flanders Golden Ale, which I haven't used yet and is rumored to come from the brewers of Gulden Draak.

What experiences do you guys have with these yeasts? Anyone else had any bad luck with S-33? Which yeast would you recommend for a Belgian blonde beer? Cheers!

Btw, I'll split the kit in two (don't have the equipment or empty bottles for full 5 gallon batch) so I can always tweak something for the second half!

I have a belgian blonde that is about 3 months in the bottle and was fermented with S-33. I like it a lot and would recommend that yeast. It has minimal funkiness but there is character from this yeast. I found out it's a British style and I can get some of that in the flavor as well.

Haven't used the other strains but someone else may have some experience with them. I would definitely use s-33 again!

I've used Wyeast 1214 and 3787 for a Belgian Blonde before. Both turned out excellent. I found 3787 to put out a bit more clove than I wanted, but both were very clean and tasted great.

If you have some 3787 laying around, go for it!

I've used Wyeast 1214 and 3787 for a Belgian Blonde before. Both turned out excellent. I found 3787 to put out a bit more clove than I wanted, but both were very clean and tasted great.

If you have some 3787 laying around, go for it!

Yea I guess I can't go wrong with the 3787. Might try half with that and half with 3739 just because I'm curious how that one will taste!

Back