Beer line cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbillings2

Reaction score
Just purchased a used kegerator. Trying to clean the beer line, but have one spot about halfway that is black and wont come clean. Any suggestions on how to clean it. Using a beer line cleaning kit now. Or do I need to replace the beer line. And if I need to replace the line, how hard it that for someone not mechanical. Thanks.

If I bought a used kegerator, I'd replace the beer line even if there were not a black spot that won't come clean.

I have a home built keezer rather than a kegerator, but I'm sure someone here would know how easy/difficult it will be. It might help if you identify the brand and model. It might also help to ask a mod to move this thread to the Bottling/Kegging sub-forum.

mix up some oxiclean in a bucket...submerge line overnight.

or do same with bleach...

or do both.

if not successful, replace.

Replacing all the beer lines and giving everything a good cleaning is the least you should do. Inspect all the parts too while you're at it; gaskets, QD's, taps - all that stuff. Scoring a used kegerator at a good price is a win win but replacing all the old stuff that touches your beer is a better win win.

What @OakIslandBrewery said above. I would also suggest looking into duotight connectors and evabarrier line. It's a bit more of a $$ outlay but worth it in the long run. Duotights offer the convenience of easy attaching and removing; and evabarrier line is the e-light of beer line. I completely redid my kegerator last year with both, and very glad I did. Worm clamps, if tightened too much, can cut vinyl (shudder) and silicone line, and leak all your beer into a nasty puddle; or worse, run your co2 tank out. Ask me how I know!

Plus, plus with the Duotight fittings!

My beer lines are needing to be replaced so I've been looking into them as well. I've read lots of great things on them here from the HBT folks that have convinced me it'll be a great swap. So far I'm leaning toward Williams Brewing as a source but there's lot of others out there that sell them. I like Williams as I have a catalog from a recent order, nice to lounge around paging through a paper copy but I'll dig more on the internet before pulling the trigger. One thing I'm really liking is the keg QD's have a low profile that the standard QD's, and the tubing exits from the side rather than a slight angle. In most instances not a big deal except some of the head room in kegerators isn't much or possibly if kegs are stacked.

Also, for gas lines, invest in a check valve so beer isn't pushed up the gas line into the regulator. There are options available for a check valve at the QD plus most gas manifolds and regulators have them already, but check first, don't assume.

Back