Anyone ever order from "The Yeast Bay"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about ordering a couple vials of yeast, as I am looking at "Vermont Ale" and "Funky town" to do a couple of IPA's.
Just wondering if anyone has ordered from them, and how the quality of the yeast was. Recommendations or substitutes for the strains I am looking at?

They are excellent. A few months ago I ordered 2 vials of the Vermont strain and had it 2 days later. If you live in a warm climate you might want to pay extra for the additional coolant packaging.

I got some Vermont Ale yeast from them last week. Took 3 days and they automatically included a ice pack.

I ordered, for the first time, just yesterday. I got the Saison blend and Farmhouse blend. I ordered the shipping upgrade also. It's still in the upper 90's around here.

Got my 2 vials today. I paid for the shipping upgrade. I'm in AZ, one state over from Yeastbay. The ice packs were completely melted and not cold anymore. They were more like room temp.
My wife fetched the package directly from the Postman, it dd not sit out.

Hopefully it will be ok. I'm going to use them, and have a pack of T-58 as backup.

I ordered liquid yeast from NB once. Huge mistake. It was October and that packet was completely hot and swollen. I guess if I want anything liquid, besides WhiteLabs, I have a short window of Dec-Feb to order.

I read on their web site, AFTER I placed my order, that my shipment won't ship out until this coming Monday. The wife and i are planning a trip on Friday through the weekend, so I HOPE USPS is quick on their delivery.
I looked for a phone number for yeast bay, so I could request a small delay in delivery, but they don't list one.

I can tell you after ordering hundreds of viles for the store, I've had them at over 85 and not one complaint

I can tell you after ordering hundreds of viles for the store, I've had them at over 85 and not one complaint

Thats good news. I'm hearing similar from others. I should be good to go. Next time I order from them, I'll make sure it's a wee bit cooler.

Good to hear this news. I am on step 2 of my starter for a batch I am brewing tomorrow with the Vermont Ale. I also have some slants ready to go for some longer term storage.

I read on their web site, AFTER I placed my order, that my shipment won't ship out until this coming Monday. The wife and i are planning a trip on Friday through the weekend, so I HOPE USPS is quick on their delivery.
I looked for a phone number for yeast bay, so I could request a small delay in delivery, but they don't list one.

Contact them via Facebook. He responds pretty quick

Their yeast is cultured at White Labs so you can assume equivalent quality.

Lots of people are trying their products:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/yeast-bay-offering-some-brett-blends-460401/

Agree 100%. I think having White Labs as their contract manufacturer is a major plus. Not even a single concern about the quality of the yeast or contamination.

I've given a lot of the products from The Yeast Bay a try and they've all performed really well and have produced some great beers. Glad more people are giving them a go. Increasing diversity in the yeast market is a great way to increase the diversity in the finished product. For a small lab that isn't hasn't been on the market long, they actually have a pretty good lineup of products too.

Good luck with the yeast gwapogorilla. Hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

Thank you. And, I just got an email from Nick at Yeastbay. He was just giving me a heads up on my order and wanted to reassure me that he did indeed have a delayed delivery fir my order in his system, per my request.

Now that I have his email, I am getting good communication.

Thanks again to everyone.
CHEERS :tank:

Okay, I got the package yesterday. The yeast were still cool and I am sure in very good viability. While I am impressed with the service from "yeast bay", I have to honestly say that I think the "ungraded shipping option" is a complete rip off.
$6.95 bought me newspapers and 1 extra ice pack....and it is a SMALL ice pack.
I made a short video of me opening the package so other might be able to see what things look like from this new yeast company. Here is a video link to a facebook site I have going.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=401031373387076&set=vb.390830094407204&type=2&theater

As far as the facebook site itself, if it is something you might like joining...go for it! It's a new site. so just getting off of the ground. Not many members or posters yet. Hoping to change that.

Okay, I got the package yesterday. The yeast were still cool and I am sure in very good viability. While I am impressed with the service from "yeast bay", I have to honestly say that I think the "ungraded shipping option" is a complete rip off.
$6.95 bought me newspapers and 1 extra ice pack....and it is a SMALL ice pack.
I made a short video of me opening the package so other might be able to see what things look like from this new yeast company. Here is a video link to a facebook site I have going.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=401031373387076&set=vb.390830094407204&type=2&theater

As far as the facebook site itself, if it is something you might like joining...go for it! It's a new site. so just getting off of the ground. Not many members or posters yet. Hoping to change that.

Looks like The Yeast Bay already responded in your Facebook post:

"Nick from The Yeast Bay here. The large (8 oz) ice pack is the extra one. We usually only include 1 small (4 oz) ice pack with 4 or less vials, which is all we can fit in the small box. The reason we have to charge what we do is because the package size increases, and the cost to ship almost doubles for us with the larger box. Believe it or not, the only reason your package was cold is because of the news paper having an insulating effect and the extra 8 oz of ice pack. The small packages are almost always delivered at room temp (not a huge deal, but some people mind). If you're unhappy with the service, I'm happy to give a refund on the extra shipping, but seeing as the vials were delivered cool, seems to me like the shipping upgrade worked great for you. Let me know. Cheers!"

At this point, I have to apologize to Nick at "Yeast Bay", AND to other readers of this posting. For some f$%king reason, I was thinking "Flat rate" parcel...the yeast was sent "Priority" , which is faster, and is calculated by distance and weight.

I'm sorry guys. I had a complete brain fart going on.

I'm going to post an apology in my facebook forum as well. I've got the stones to admit when I was wrong.

Yeah, not sure what I had going through my head....It was kinda like looking at your check book balance of $234, and somehow you read it and convince yourself it reads $342. It's been a really, REALLY wild freaking week.

And again, a big "I'm sorry" to Nick and readers of this post. I got prompt shipping from Yeast Bay....on the day I requested it to be shipped. And the vials still have 3 months viability left on the labels. Which is the BEST I have ever seen.

Going to brew an IPA with the "funkytown" this weekend. Really looking forward to the results.

Yeah, not sure what I had going through my head....It was kinda like looking at your check book balance of $234, and somehow you read it and convince yourself it reads $342. It's been a really, REALLY wild freaking week.

And again, a big "I'm sorry" to Nick and readers of this post. I got prompt shipping from Yeast Bay....on the day I requested it to be shipped. And the vials still have 3 months viability left on the labels. Which is the BEST I have ever seen.

Going to brew an IPA with the "funkytown" this weekend. Really looking forward to the results.

Hey, we all act silly sometimes. I'm sure it's not a big deal. The Funktown is definitely one of my favorites. Dry, fruity, and delicious! An awesome marriage of the sacch and brett strains.

You sir, are a gentleman and more. If you are ever coming through Central Illinois, PM me. Beers on the house!

Hey, we all act silly sometimes. I'm sure it's not a big deal. The Funktown is definitely one of my favorites. Dry, fruity, and delicious! An awesome marriage of the sacch and brett strains.

Thanks, Just feeling kinda bad about it was all.
As far as the "funktowm"...it's in the primary right now. I brewed up an IPA yesterday, and pitched the yeast direct from the bottle. Hoping the extra strain by not having a starter will produce more fruity esters to compliment the Mosiac and Azacca hops I whirl-pooled in.

You sir, are a gentleman and more. If you are ever coming through Central Illinois, PM me. Beers on the house!
Buddy, I live close enough where that could be dangerous!:tank:

Here it is. ..12 hours after pitching. It's layering like an art piece.

1413124118091.jpg

6th gen of VT Ale from YeastBay is fermenting right now. I've been very satisfied. Averaging 80% attenuation overall.

How did you tell what gen it was? My vials didn't say.

I think the vermont strain from yeast bay is better than giga yeast. I got way more peach from yeast bay. Both had similar attenuation though.

How did you tell what gen it was? My vials didn't say.

I think the vermont strain from yeast bay is better than giga yeast. I got way more peach from yeast bay. Both had similar attenuation though.
I believe he is referring to washing and reusing the yeast.

When you start taking videos of opening a parcel, your attitude is already in "indictment mode" before you even see what's inside. The presumption is that if something is broken or damaged and you don't have video evidence, then the customer service is not going to believe you.

Additionally, when you start negative publicity against a company before contacting their customer service then you are changing your mode from "indictment" to "prosecution".

How would it feel to you if you'd started The Yeast Bay and got that same sort of behaviour from a customer? They were beyond generous to offer you a refund for something which clearly didn't deserve a refund because they want your business, not your video prosecutions of them on facebook.

Good that you apoligised to them.

When you start taking videos of opening a parcel, your attitude is already in "indictment mode" before you even see what's inside. The presumption is that if something is broken or damaged and you don't have video evidence, then the customer service is not going to believe you.

Additionally, when you start negative publicity against a company before contacting their customer service then you are changing your mode from "indictment" to "prosecution".

How would it feel to you if you'd started The Yeast Bay and got that same sort of behaviour from a customer? They were beyond generous to offer you a refund for something which clearly didn't deserve a refund because they want your business, not your video prosecutions of them on facebook.

Good that you apoligised to them.
Actually, I was filming because folks in another thread had questions as to what type of packaging the "upgrade" was.

The confusion on my part was the shipping charge itself. And, as I often order perishables through the mail, such as cheeses and natural hog casings, I was comparing the amounts of ice packs and dry ice those items have...compared to the yeast. But, as I mentioned before, different types of shipping for here in the states.

The misunderstanding was on my part completely.

Back