Anyone doing Dry January?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing dry January for the first time. Already down over 10 lbs in 9 days and feeling pretty good. Been using kombucha to curb any cravings and it's working pretty well. Using the time to build up a good pipeline with more sessionable beers. Cheers to no beers. haha.

to elaborate on my simplistic previous statement...if i couldn't drink a twelve pack for 99 cents, i'd go broke...and i gotta save up for February, so i can afford to pay my taxes....and i know i should give that a frown, but a guy's gotta do, what a guy's gotta do...:D

Well it's almost over for those who are still doing it. I've just been cleared for beer at my post surgery checkup. Pretty sure I'll be enjoying one or more on Saturday. For the first time in a long time my beer will be properly aged, lol. I filled the pipeline prior to this month off.

Well it's almost over for those who are still doing it. I've just been cleared for beer at my post surgery checkup. Pretty sure I'll be enjoying one or more on Saturday. For the first time in a long time my beer will be properly aged, lol. I filled the pipeline prior to this month off.

I used to give up beer for Lent. Nearly six weeks going dry. Then a friend pointed out that many religious traditions gave you a "free pass" on Sundays.

Sure do miss that old church.

Brooo Brother

I used to give up beer for Lent. Nearly six weeks going dry. Then a friend pointed out that many religious traditions gave you a "free pass" on Sundays.

Sure do miss that old church.

Brooo Brother

I usually do Lent. The two ways I'm familiar with go from Ash Wednesday to Holy Thursday, no break. Or, you get Sundays off but go until Easter Sunday. I grew up with the Sunday off version. For beer I feel better doing the no break version. If I do the Sunday off version then Monday is miserable due to my desire to get the most out of Sunday.

I usually do Lent. The two ways I'm familiar with go from Ash Wednesday to Holy Thursday, no break. Or, you get Sundays off but go until Easter Sunday. I grew up with the Sunday off version. For beer I feel better doing the no break version. If I do the Sunday off version then Monday is miserable due to my desire to get the most out of Sunday.

Lent is not part of my religious tradition at all (I'm a Baptist.) But about 4 or 5 years ago I started doing Lent anyway most years. I go from the Tuesday after Ash Wednesday until Easter with no "time off" for Sundays; that's 40 days. But usually I actually start on Monday just because it's easier to remember, and by the end of it an extra day is not a big deal.

Dry January.

I have a tough time doing dry noon. Doing a whole month is................... well............. that ain't gonna happen.

I have great respect for those doing it though.

I drink one beer a night and that's 12 ounces. If I'm out of town on business I might have two with dinner, maybe three if I have a business guest who's having four.

All the Best,
D. White

Amen, brother!

I always did Ash Wednesday (not hard to do after Fat Tuesday) until Easter itself, with no time off for bad behavior! But as you point out, Hangover Mondays were never much fun if you did the Free Pass Sundays. So I figured I just forego smoking cigarettes instead of beer drinking. That was much easier to adhere to, seeing as I don't smoke.

Brooo Brother

So what comes after Dry January? F***ed up February 1? I'm going to the gas station that carries 1000 varieties of beer for a few things from Germany.

We (me and the big hair) read about dry January after New Years so we are doing it, but since we started on Monday the 13, we are going to February 14th. No weight loss, but I think it isn’t a bad thing to abstain for a period of time. There’s plenty of normal people that never drink.

I did 24 days with the intention of 24 days, had an event in the 25th I was t going to do dry. Wasn’t too difficult and it went quickly, even hung out at the breweries without drinking a couple of times. Went to a Tool concert sober! Not bad overall. Thinking of doing one week a month for poopies and gigs. And I would honestly save about $1000 throughout a year that way.

Haven't had a beer ( I only drink beer ) since January 1st, so one month. February will be the same: no beer or alcohol. In February, I'll be brewing 6 different beers, which I will start drinking in April. In March, I will drink and share the first beers of the year, with a friend. I've saved 200 euros in January, by not having any beer.

One down side of staying dry while being a homebrewer is it doesn't really save you money. I already bought a freezer full of hops and big grain sack and all the gear. Not drinking saves me 0$.

I spent 18 days in January and 9 in February on antibiotics so essentially I had a dry January. But that's all over now and beer is more delicious than ever
I was washing my amoxicillin down with home brew for Strep throat. You must have been on XXX-azole type.

We (me and the big hair) read about dry January after New Years so we are doing it, but since we started on Monday the 13, we are going to February 14th. No weight loss, but I think it isn’t a bad thing to abstain for a period of time. There’s plenty of normal people that never drink.

I made it through my dry January and learned a thing or two from my experience.

tenor.gif

Back