Am I safe to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to bottle my fifth batch today and was in for a surprise. When I opened my primary bucket there still appeared to be a bit of a krausen on top of the beer. I didn't do a secondary and left it in the primary for 3.5 weeks. I know that is a long time for primary, but I got busy, couldn't rack, etc. Anyway, that's not the point.

My OG was 1.056. I imagine it should have been done fermenting by now. I took a reading tonight and it came in at 1.015. I used Wyeast European ale yeast, so the attenuation seems correct.

Should I be concerned about bottling this beer? Can a beer still have a krausen after it ferments? Thanks for your patience with a newer brewer. If it matters at all this is my recipe:

"Autumn Ale"

6lbs gold LME
2lbs light DME
1/2lbs Caravienne
1/2lbs Durst dark crystal

1oz hallertau boiling.
1/2oz hallertau 30min
1/2oz hallertau 15 min

I know the OG is off from where it should be; I had a pretty nasty boilover that effected the gravity.

It should be ok, but I'd check the sg every day for the next three days. If it changes even slightly, don't bottle yet. If it stays the same, it's done.

Latest posts

Back