Alternative NEIPA yeast thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
I’m looking for a quasi “house yeast.” I typically brew NEIPAs and don’t enjoy London fog/London III in other styles for some reason. I’d love feedback/thoughts on a few yeasts that could make a great NEIPA but could also branch out for other styles. Here are my options and some thoughts on them…

BRY97- pretty much Chico but seems to enjoy hoppy styles. Ideally I’d prefer something English but I’m not against this.

WLP006 Bedford- seems to attenuate a lot but seems in range with Conan. Not sure why more haven’t tried it for the style?

WLP033 Klassic- “leaves beer slightly sweet” sounds great but I’ve never met anyone who’s used this yeast in anything

WLP059 Melbourne- old English strain with little info

WLP028 Edinburgh- ester profile seems nice and sounds pretty versatile all around

Any and all feedback would be great. Also I know there’s lots of variables so please assume my recipe/water/hopping is all on point and just looking for yeast thoughts thanks

It's too bad Gigayeast went out. Their GY054 was amazing imo. I've used Imperial yeast . Juice, barbarian, flagship . All those were good . They last couple batches I've used Verdant ipa yeast , which works well .

If you're looking for a strain to make excellent NEIPA but also some non-hazy hoppy beer, and cleaner lawnmower type beers, I can strongly recommend Lallemand Koln and Lutra.

My new favorite is Cosmic Punch and Helio Gazer. These are Thiol boosting yeasts and I have made my best NEIPAs with these. I just read about Imperial Capri which is combo of A38 Juice and A43 Loki that I’m excited to try.

These are all great and dusky noted. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the ones I listed in the original post?

Mangrove Jacks M66 - Hophead
Lalbrew (Lallemand) - Verdant IPA
SalAle (Fermentis) - S33
I’ve heard rumors that Mangrove Jacks simply repacks Fermentis and Lallemand yeasts (there is an interesting correspond between yeasts, and MJ will come out with a “new” corresponding yeast some time after Lallemand does…) and that M66 is Verdant IPA. Can anybody refute or corroborate this hypothesis?

I’ve heard rumors that Mangrove Jacks simply repacks Fermentis and Lallemand yeasts (there is an interesting correspond between yeasts, and MJ will come out with a “new” corresponding yeast some time after Lallemand does…) and that M66 is Verdant IPA. Can anybody refute or corroborate this hypothesis?
For some yeasts or looks like they are just straight repacking other yeasts and for some of their yeasts it looks like they are actually mixing other distributors yeasts to create a unique blend.

I figure it's about 50/50 odds of being either Lallemand Verdant or New England.

YEAST MASTER Perma-Living by Yours Truly

So I’m on a NEIPA binge these days, anyone know if the Thiolized yeasts like Cosmic Punch can be re pitched like other yeast?

WY1272 is the house strain for Fidens (who make incredible NEIPAs) but its called an American Ale strain so you could probably use it for lots of other styles. WLP006 is the Nottingham strain. I havent used it but friends have said good things about it and its versatile as well.

I think cheap baker’s yeast, pitched at a high rate, will work just fine in a NEIPA. These genetically modified strains are unlikely to be stable genetically unless the inserted DNA confers a benefit to the yeast. Otherwise it’s just ‘neutral’ DNA therefore likely to randomly mutate, especially if inserted into an exposed region of the genome, which is likely. There are natural therefore stable options available for promoting bio-transformations, if that’s your thing.

My "house" NEIPA strain is Lallemand Köln. Medium attenuation, fast fermenter, pretty neutral leaning into fruity at higher temperatures, and high levels of beta-glucosidase enzymes which are supposed to promote biotransformation.

Never brewed a bad beer with it.

Back