Age range type question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I have seen some posts that say homebrew can last a year or more. Don't remember if they were talking about bottle carb'd or not, so I was wondering the top end of aging bottle carb'd beer in bottles. I assume the yeast that falls to the bottom will eventually start to negatively impact the beer. Is there any guidelines to length of time for bottle carb'd to remain good? I had a pale ale go that was pretty good (and perfectly clear) start to go cloudy and taste weird at the five month time frame. It could have been something else wrong that just took 5 months to reveal itself. Ideas?

Normally it is the higher ABV beers that age well.
The dead yeast won't play a major factor once they settle out and form a compact cake.

As long as there isn't a huge amount of sediment in your bottles, that shouldn't be a major factor in aging. To a degree, less yeast is better, but you need enough to carb the beer over a reasonable time frame.

I know what the common guidelines are, but I've also seen a lot of variation in my own beers. I've had some 5%ers taste off after 6-8 months carbed and in the bottle, and others taste better after a year or more. In general, the bigger the beer, the more gracefully it ages, but there are many other factors.

I don't know that you're going to get anything specific that's going to actually be helpful to you. Experience is the best way to learn. Sanitation, storage temps, recipe, yeast, FG, racking and bottling processes, all these things and more play a role. I will say, though, that my beers tend to age better now than earlier in my brewing career. I suspect better brewing practices are involved, but have not hard evidence.

A properly sanitized brew that is bottled will last a very long time. Some styles age better than others. Some will change and flavor will change. Some brews taste better young but will still be very drinkable with age. For example an IPA will taste best when younger. After time the hop flavor and aroma will diminish., but it will still be beer. Just not the same.

Some brews actually like a lot of age for them. I brew a lot of Belgians an the bigger BDSA's love to age. I have some that are over three years old and they taste amazing.

Back