Adding coffee to keg after its carbed already

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly224

Reaction score
I have a milkstout I brewed about three weeks ago that is now kegged and has been on gas for about a week. It's decent but I think it could really benefit from some coffee and I have a lot of coffee beans I need to use. Would grinding some up and throwing them into the keg be a bad idea? If not how much coffee should I throw in there?

It would be okay as long as you bag the grounds. I'd approach it differently, though. I'd cold-brew a few ounces of coffee in some water for a couple days, filter out the grains, and add the cold-brewed coffee to the keg. Maybe add half of the coffee at first and add more later if you feel it needs more. Better to sneak up on it than over do it.

I like adding adjuncts after the beer is fully carbonated and ready to serve, it gives a better idea of how much needs to be added to not overwhelm the beer, but same as if adding fruit, if you add the actual beans you'll have floaties in your beer the entire keg, especially with something as fine as coffee grounds.

For my fruits I always make a very strong tea (for lack of better word- I believe tincture is the correct term) and add the filtered liquid to the keg after carbonation. For coffee I'd brew a mighty strong cup and add that to the beer. With the extra caffeine perhaps a "Four Loko Stout" might be a suggested name...

I have a milkstout I brewed about three weeks ago that is now kegged and has been on gas for about a week. It's decent but I think it could really benefit from some coffee and I have a lot of coffee beans I need to use. Would grinding some up and throwing them into the keg be a bad idea? If not how much coffee should I throw in there?

Here is my take. I use about 2oz of Coffee Beans, but I cold press them overnight then pour into keg. Grinding is totally up to you. If you want more a robust and caffeine kick then grind them up and let them sit for 24hrs overnight in the fridge in a french press. If you just want light to moderate flavor without caffeine kick let them sit (whole beans) in the french press for about 3 days in the fridge to extract the flavor and aroma. Cheers brotha :mug:

My original idea was to soak a chemex filter in some vodka, grind beans pretty coarse and then wrap them in the filter and tie it off with a piece of floss. I ended up doing this with whole beans before I read the cold brew idea so I think I'll let that go a day or two and see where that gets me for now. If I'm still not happy with it I'm gonna add a bit of cold brew like suggested here.

Back