To much coffee in a brew, what should I adjust down to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arc_jpiv

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
Made a custom batch from scratch for the first time recently, and unsurprisingly over did some of the ingredients. I wanted to add a hint of coffee flavor to it, so I added 3oz into my secondary. I cracked the beans with a rolling pin and threw them in. Went to taste test it the next day and it tasted like a straight espresso. No hoppy flavor, no beer flavor at all, just straight coffee. After a few weeks, the flavor hadn't reduced at all; and likely got a bit stronger.

I still like the idea of subtle coffee flavoring in a brew, but not to that extent. How low should I drop the bean amount down, or should I brew coffee and add the liquid instead of the beans?

Thanks!

Hey y'all,
Made a custom batch from scratch for the first time recently, and unsurprisingly over did some of the ingredients. I wanted to add a hint of coffee flavor to it, so I added 3oz into my secondary. I cracked the beans with a rolling pin and threw them in. Went to taste test it the next day and it tasted like a straight espresso. No hoppy flavor, no beer flavor at all, just straight coffee. After a few weeks, the flavor hadn't reduced at all; and likely got a bit stronger.

I still like the idea of subtle coffee flavoring in a brew, but not to that extent. How low should I drop the bean amount down, or should I brew coffee and add the liquid instead of the beans?

Thanks!

I’m no scientist but I believe you just made yourself a large volume of cold brew coffee.

Next time, make some cold brew separately, add a small amount (ML’s) to a pint of the beer and then once you find the flavor you’re looking for you can scale up.

Coffee is a tough flavor to make subtle due to its strength. You could use grains (chocolate malts/black patent malts) if you don’t want to use the cold brew coffee idea.

when I use coffee in my pale ale I keep the beans whole and no more then 2-3 oz per 5 gallons (depending on roast level). Drop them in a hop sock in secondary 48 hours before you keg/bottle. This should give you just enough that it doesn’t over power the hops or malts.

I’ve never done this in PF but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

About 30grams of beans in 20L is ideal, just dump them in after primary fermentation is done.

When making my coffee stout, I've rough-ground the coffee and steeped in the wort at flameout for about 20 minutes. This has worked well - coffee flavor, but not overwhelming.

Latest posts

Back