Coffee...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugel

Reaction score
I'm planning on adding some brewed coffee to an ale recipe, later this year. Hopes are to add color, flavor and bitterness - but not too much - to the homebrew.

However, I wanted to share some advice from a friend that used to work in the coffee industry.
- Only use good water.
- Only use good/high quality coffee - 100% Fresh Arabica Beans.
- Only use Whole Beans and grind it yourself for every pot.
- Always use a High Quality, fast-flow, drip style coffee maker - like a Bunn.
- Always remove the filter basket, immediately after the brew has finished.
Because the grounds immediately start to sour, as soon as the brew is finished.
If you leave the grounds hanging over your pot, condensation will cause the basket to drip
sour coffee into your pot and taint the whole pot, over time.
- NEVER use a pot warmer! It will cook your coffee and cause it to burn and/or sour and taint the pot.
- You are better off a) drinking room temp coffee or b) reheating, gently, in the microwave.

All that to say that, because of the grounds souring, after they get wet, I think you are better off brewing a fresh pot and adding the liquid to the volume of your homebrew, instead of adding ground fresh coffee or even whole beans (Although, whole beans would be less of a problem.).

Anyway, I've been following that friends advice for many years, and I greatly enjoy the coffee that I make using his advice.

Just my contribution and a suggestion!

Good Brewing and God Bless!!

Kugel

Don't listen to Day_Tripper!!! No trap....no trap at all!!! Bwaaa ha haaaaa!!!!
Maybe look into doing a cold brewed coffee addition would be my suggestion.

All good advice.

I roast my own beans and have made several coffee beers from coffee blondes to porters. I've had great success with tossing in the whole beans for a day or two. For a 5 gallon batch, 2-3oz will give you a note of coffee and 4oz + will make it more coffee forward. That's from my experience at least, a lot depends on the beans used.

Likewise. I used a small addition of whole beans in a porter for one of my 1st batches. Turned out great with just the hint of coffee undertones.

Using drip coffee can cause head retention issues in my experience. I’ve tried every way possible. No doubt, IMO, adding beans to the batch is best. I have always cracked them and use 4oz/5gallon. I agree with what your friend stated for enjoying a cup. Adding to a brew is a little different.

Back