Added too much maple syrup to the Imperial breakfast stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbajwa

Reaction score
This f*** up happened because i forgot that i scaled down the recipe by half so i added twice as much (454g) maple syrup as i was supposed to. The recipe says it will be 8.5% ABV. The Wyeast 1084 will die at 12%. So can I assume the yeast will kill itself before the bottling time comes? Secondly, i can use CBC-1 which is bottling yeast. That has an alcohol tolerance of 12% to 14% so i have a good chance at getting proper carbonation but the tricky thing is I dont know how much maple syrup is left over in it. If i add the priming sugar like I always do (8 to 10 g/L), it will be over carbonated. If i add none, it will be poorly carbonated. How do i figure out the correct amount of priming sugar to add? Are there any other problems i dont see resulting from that mistake? The recipe is this.

Last edited:
I guess you could add a different yeast with a higher abv tolerance right now, let it ferment out all the way, then bottle as normal. Not sure how well the new yeast would take off though if fermentation is already a fair way along. Never tried it. Sure somebody has though.

Did you forget to scale down the complete recipe or just the syrup addition?

If, as I assume is the case, you just forgot to scale down a 6% syrup addition your beer will definitely not exceed 12% ABV and you won't have any issues with it reaching final attenuation or with bottle carbonation.

Agree with Vale, I don't see an issue here.

Your beer might be thinner and higher alcohol than desired but it will carbonate. Also those maximum abv values on yeast are just an average value. They don't mean 100% of the yeast die instantly when 12%abv is reached.

Let it ride and enjoy the beer

How do i figure out the correct amount of priming sugar to add? Are there any other problems i dont see resulting from that mistake?
1629019089865.png

1. Follow directions above.
2. Use Brewer's friend recipe calculator to determine your target gravity and expected ABV:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculatorI put your numbers in and it looks like you'll be at 9.1%
3. Use a priming sugar calculator to determine how much sugar to add at bottling:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/4. Or, reduce the chance of adding oxygen to your beer and use carbonation drops or a Domino Dot sugar cube and bottle from primary.
5. Sometimes mistakes make your beer even better, that extra maple syrup will boost ABV but also the flavor.
:bigmug:

The recipe says it will be 8.5% ABV. The Wyeast 1084 will die at 12%. So can I assume the yeast will kill itself before the bottling time comes?
Simple answer to this part is no. You cannot assume anything about yeast. They are living organisms and seem to just do their own thing. Although the accepted limit may be 12%, the yeast may have different ideas.

View attachment 739144
1. Follow directions above.
2. Use Brewer's friend recipe calculator to determine your target gravity and expected ABV:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculatorI put your numbers in and it looks like you'll be at 9.1%
3. Use a priming sugar calculator to determine how much sugar to add at bottling:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/4. Or, reduce the chance of adding oxygen to your beer and use carbonation drops or a Domino Dot sugar cube and bottle from primary.
5. Sometimes mistakes make your beer even better, that extra maple syrup will boost ABV but also the flavor.
:bigmug:
Thanks for your excellent advice! The mistakes per batch of beer is decreasing as i keep brewing. I also got a habit of over thinking things so i am glad to hear the abv will only go up to 9.1%. ^_^

Back