When is High Krausen when there isn’t much krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Langerz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first stout over the weekend. Planning a breakfast type stout and adding maple syrup. Recipe I’m using as a guide said add the maple syrup during high Krausen

So far the yeast is chugging along. I’ve dropped from 84 points to 59 in about 48 hours per my tilt but there isn’t much krausen at all. I have read that can happen and as long as the yeast keeps going I’m not worried about that. My question though is when is high krausen if I don’t have much krausen? Or when do I add the syrup

The temperature on the tilt increased and has just started to drop again which on other beers usually aligns with high krausen so I’m thinking add the maple syrup now but thought I’d check others thoughts

I don't think it makes a critical difference as it's a simple sugar, but might as well pitch it now. I'd actually be inclined to wait until "near the end" of fermentation as there's so little character in maple syrup I wouldn't want it all blown out of the fermentor...

Cheers!

Back