Accidental cold temps while aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott.campion

Reaction score
While aging on the lees, I had a bit of a snafu and left the garage door open for a week while temperatures were in the 20 to 30 F (-7 to -1 C) range. Fermentation was long since over, and I’m just aging to clarify and for flavor. Any consequences of the temperature drop? I keep things pretty simple and old-school, and I’ve never really understood what you all mean by cold crashing. So I’m not sure if I killed everything, or accidentally made it better.

I was planning to bottle and do a secondary fermentation in a few weeks. Any need to add yeast, or is it cold-tolerant? The cider is currently in a series of glass carboys, plus a 55 gallon barrel.

Cold tolerance isn't a problem, at worst you have decimated your yeast and malolactic fermentation bugs. The biological processes in your cider may take a while to get back into business.

Last edited:
Back