A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What fermentation Temps are people shooting for? I was fermenting cool, next batch I think I am gonna go considerably warmer to increase the fruit flavors from the yeast. I feel that's the only other missing flavor is the dark fruit flavors of mz

I hit it right at 68.

I fermented at 65 for the first week and then let it climb. Never getting above 70 though as it was still winter when I made it.

Just browsed through this thread, and wow. Can't wait to brew this! I was fortunate to have this beer at GABF, but that's my only experience with it. Has anyone tried theirs next to an actual Hunahpu?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just browsed through this thread, and wow. Can't wait to brew this! I was fortunate to have this beer at GABF, but that's my only experience with it. Has anyone tried theirs next to an actual Hunahpu?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413044524.123159.jpg

Will be!!! Mine is getting spiced now. I just took a sample and what everyone is saying about the cinnamon is spot on. Wonderfully blended cinnamon vanilla cacao flavors. My hear is a bit too restrained and I might throw another one in. I went all pasila peppers though. I'll post my dosing rates and some side by side notes when I taste it.

I checked on mine this weekend and the spiciness of the peppers isn't coming through. I've added just over 1/4 oz of both guajillo and ancho, basically one whole pepper of each and I'm getting the dark fruit aspects but none of the spiciness, is this normal? I do have a pretty good tolerance to spicy foods too so it might just be that it's not registering to my taste buds.

In case anybody has any ideas, this is also for a 2 gal batch not 5 if the amount of chile's seems low that's why, but it could also be that like someone else posted the amounts may not be linear.

Keep checking as the spice builds. I checked one day and no heat, the next day it was noticeable

Well its stout season up here on the East Coast so why not? I think I'll go off skibb's recipe... Anyone add any rice hulls to keep the wort flowing?

Brew Method: All Grain
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.091
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.124
Final Gravity: 1.038
ABV (standard): 11.24%
IBU (tinseth): 112.39
SRM (ebcmorey): 78.8

FERMENTABLES:
212 oz - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (46.9%)
88 oz - American - Munich - Light 10L (19.5%)
46 oz - Flaked Barley (10.2%)
32 oz - American - Chocolate (7.1%)
32 oz - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (7.1%)
14 oz - United Kingdom - Black Patent (3.1%)
14 oz - United Kingdom - Extra Dark Crystal 160L (3.1%)
14 oz - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (3.1%)

HOPS:
3 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 75 min, IBU: 112.39

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 155 F, Time: 90 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Ceylon Cinnamon, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
1 each - Madagascar Vanilla Bean, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
6 oz - Peruvian Cacao Nibs, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
1 oz - Ancho Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
0.5 oz - Pasillia Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
0.5 oz - Guajillo (dried, deseeded, chopped), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - London ESB Ale 1968

No need for the hulls. Make sure you have a big blow off tube and a 6.5 gallon Carboy at the very least. See my pics in post #84

I have a 6.5 big mouth maybe i should get a bigger blowoff tube though I saw that. Looks pretty furious... LOL!

^why not add few drops of ferm cap? that should stop the vast majority of blow off in it's tracks. with a beer this intensive, the extra pint you get would be worth it

I added the remainder of a guajillo and ancho chili as the spiciness just isn't coming through. I'm going to bottle tomorrow since I want this ready for Thanksgiving and the next couple weeks I won't have time to get it done. I want it to be in the bottle at least 2 -3 weeks before turkey day too, so i'm limited at this point.

From what I tasted yesterday I think it's in good shape, may just end up lacking in the cinnamon and spice aspects. The dark fruits are definitely there, maybe too much, but they should settle with time, there's good chocolate too, the roast of the base stout has come through very well, but is still hidden so it might just need time to come through.

I added the remainder of a guajillo and ancho chili as the spiciness just isn't coming through. I'm going to bottle tomorrow since I want this ready for Thanksgiving and the next couple weeks I won't have time to get it done. I want it to be in the bottle at least 2 -3 weeks before turkey day too, so i'm limited at this point.

From what I tasted yesterday I think it's in good shape, may just end up lacking in the cinnamon and spice aspects. The dark fruits are definitely there, maybe too much, but they should settle with time, there's good chocolate too, the roast of the base stout has come through very well, but is still hidden so it might just need time to come through.

When did you brew this?

oh yea, i don't plan to drink them all on Thanksgiving. i'll let most age for a while. I just wanted to have them "ready" to share on Thanksgiving. Assuming I like it, I will likely brew again with the intention of aging 6-9 months before i open any of them.

At almost 500 posts, this is quite the thread to sift through. Anyone care to recap what the "best" recipe is so far?

My basement is always about 60F. According to my stick-on bucket thermometer, we're hovering around 64. I think that'll give me a pretty clean fermentation profile.

The version I'm using:

49.5% 2 row [13#]
20% Maris Otter [5#]
10% Chocolate [3#]
10% Roasted [3#]
5% Flaked oats [1#]
3% C60 [1#]
1.7% Flaked Rye [.5#]
.8% Special B [.25#]

Mashed at 155F for 75 minutes, sparged out at 168F for 10 min.
120min boil. Initial volume ~7.3gal
2.2oz Summit @60min

Final volume: 5.2gallons,
OG: 1.114

Pitched a slurry of harvested Thames Valley wyeast from an ESB.

It's thick and syrupy. I spilled a little on my deck and I swear it looks like I spilled motor oil. Anything else you wanna know? Just ask!

It is this recipe that seems to be the best practices one. I used the grist and adjusted for my system. Added a pound of dme and boiled for 3 hours to get to 1.128. Very damn close to Zhukov

I'm also wondering how people are mashing this in...? I saw somewhere that someone use a 10 gal cooler for this 30# recipe. It just doesnt seem possible? Whats the best way to go here without adding dme. I want to go all grain all the way. Im thinking double mash?!

I'm also wondering how people are mashing this in...? I saw somewhere that someone use a 10 gal cooler for this 30# recipe. It just doesnt seem possible? Whats the best way to go here without adding dme. I want to go all grain all the way. Im thinking double mash?!

At 1.25qt/lb, 30lb of grain will take up over 11 gal of space according to "Green Bay Rackers"

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Well crap. Mine got infected in secondary. Not sure how and I'm pretty sure that it is lacto. I'm going to let it ride and hope for the best.

Great thread with a lot of great info! I took my stab at this over the weekend. I went with a single mash on this (pushed the cooler run slightly past its limits though) at 149. That temp held for the entire mash which was going to be 75 but ended up closer to 90. After collecting runnings and sparging I had a little over 9 gallons at 1.082. I did a two hour boil and the foam after adding the hops was mesmerizing to watch (and the aroma was intoxicating)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414421122.013889.jpg
In the end I had a little over six gallons that was at 1.116. I wish I could have boiled longer to get the OG up, but we had company over and I was about to get murdered as it was. :) I hit it with 3 minutes of pure O2 and pitched ~480 billion cells of 1968. Then it went into the carboys (split with half each) and has been going nuts over the last 36 hours.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414421368.852177.jpg

So now I'm turning my focus on the spices. Did anyone actually use the scaled down amounts from the barrel picture (I.e. 0.23 oz vanilla, 0.15 oz Ancho & Guajillo, etc.)?

If so - how long did you secondary on them? Have you sampled yet? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I used the exact reduction on my additions per those written on the barrel. I chopped my peppers and soaked in a little vodka over night. Added to my secondary for 6 weeks. I am now at about 14 months. I get great chocolate and heat from the chilis but not the subtle chili flavor I was hoping for. Anyone else have suggestions.

Even in real Hunahpu the chili flavor fades quicker than the rest of the spicing if you ask me.

I bottled mine after 6 weeks, I added 1/8oz of guajillo and ancho chili's after 4 weeks, then another 1/4oz of both a week later, then another 1/8oz a week after with another 1/8oz of cinnamon. The last addition was only for 2 days.
I haven't tasted it yet, but the spice was still very subtle to me. The dried fruit qualities of the chili's was definitely there, but the heat wasn't showing very much.
I used a different stout for the base, its the Double W recipe on these forums, its close to this but different so it could be something in then malts taking away from the spice in mine. I'm not planning to open any till Thanksgiving, but may sneak one early just to see before I offer it to others.

I know many say to age this but I've also read that Cigar City has a 3-4 month timeframe from brew day to hitting store shelves.

I had that same pic of the barrel. Downscaled the amounts to 10% and it came out real nice. Still drinkn on mine from a March brew. Didnt get into it for four or five months.

So I think I'm going to dive into this this weekend. What kind of starter do I need? I'm picking up 2 packs of Wayeast 1968 but think I should bump them up with a starter for this one. Is 2 L good if I split the 5 gallon brew in two and do 1 L in each?

Well its stout season up here on the East Coast so why not? I think I'll go off skibb's recipe... Anyone add any rice hulls to keep the wort flowing?

Brew Method: All Grain
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.091
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.124
Final Gravity: 1.038
ABV (standard): 11.24%
IBU (tinseth): 112.39
SRM (ebcmorey): 78.8

FERMENTABLES:
212 oz - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (46.9%)
88 oz - American - Munich - Light 10L (19.5%)
46 oz - Flaked Barley (10.2%)
32 oz - American - Chocolate (7.1%)
32 oz - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (7.1%)
14 oz - United Kingdom - Black Patent (3.1%)
14 oz - United Kingdom - Extra Dark Crystal 160L (3.1%)
14 oz - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (3.1%)

HOPS:
3 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 75 min, IBU: 112.39

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 155 F, Time: 90 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Ceylon Cinnamon, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
1 each - Madagascar Vanilla Bean, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
6 oz - Peruvian Cacao Nibs, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
1 oz - Ancho Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
0.5 oz - Pasillia Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
0.5 oz - Guajillo (dried, deseeded, chopped), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - London ESB Ale 1968

Question on splitting this up into a double mash...

I use Brewer's Friend and thought I'd just scale the recipe to half and that would be my 2 mashes but when I do that my total grain isn't the same... I start with 28.25 lbs of grain for a 5.5 gal batch and when scaled down to 2.25 gal it gives me 11.56 lbs of grain. If you double 11.56 you only get 23.12. So where is the other 5.13 lbs of grain? Should I just split the calculation myself or is this correct when scaling down a recipe? I plan to boil them together so this is why I am concerned... Will ferment separately though...

Question on splitting this up into a double mash...

I use Brewer's Friend and thought I'd just scale the recipe to half and that would be my 2 mashes but when I do that my total grain isn't the same... I start with 28.25 lbs of grain for a 5.5 gal batch and when scaled down to 2.25 gal it gives me 11.56 lbs of grain. If you double 11.56 you only get 23.12. So where is the other 5.13 lbs of grain? Should I just split the calculation myself or is this correct when scaling down a recipe? I plan to boil them together so this is why I am concerned... Will ferment separately though...

Try scaling to 2.75, I'm sure your problem is that you scaled to 2.25 (unless that was a typo).
I double mashed mine, and I would not do it that way next time. When I do it again, I will get a bigger mash tun or just reduce the batch size to 4 gallons

So I think I'm going to dive into this this weekend. What kind of starter do I need? I'm picking up 2 packs of Wayeast 1968 but think I should bump them up with a starter for this one. Is 2 L good if I split the 5 gallon brew in two and do 1 L in each?

BeerSmith said I needed just shy of 450 billion cells for my 5.5 gallon batch. How big a starter (or starters) you'll need will depend on how old the packs are. I'd recommend using a tool (MrMalty is a good, free tool if you don't already have one) to determine it more accurately. You don't want to underpitch on this beer! Good luck though!

Try scaling to 2.75, I'm sure your problem is that you scaled to 2.25 (unless that was a typo).
I double mashed mine, and I would not do it that way next time. When I do it again, I will get a bigger mash tun or just reduce the batch size to 4 gallons

Yeah scaled wrong... Heh gotta stop working and trying to calculate my recipes at the same time...

What was wrong with the double mash? I'm looking to split this up into to carboys anyway. Did you just get total grain and put half in one and half in the other or scale the recipe down to half and mash half and half?

BeerSmith said I needed just shy of 450 billion cells for my 5.5 gallon batch. How big a starter (or starters) you'll need will depend on how old the packs are. I'd recommend using a tool (MrMalty is a good, free tool if you don't already have one) to determine it more accurately. You don't want to underpitch on this beer! Good luck though!

Thanks!

Yeahhh... 4 L starter... Damn!!!

Back