A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man PianoMan I wish I played ukulele. We are jamming in the studio again this week and she said the pianos they have suck this thing and it's case is like Fifty pounds and 10 feet high. Plus the two guitars I bring and it's a full load. Interesting side note Everyday when I drive by this place on the way home you get well how should I put this a very skunky scent you know kind of like 1000 huge weed plants in a warehouse.

Man PianoMan I wish I played ukulele. We are jamming in the studio again this week and she said the pianos they have suck this thing and it's case is like Fifty pounds and 10 feet high. Plus the two guitars I bring and it's a full load. Interesting side note Everyday when I drive by this place on the way home you get well how should I put this a very skunky scent you know kind of like 1000 huge weed plants in a warehouse.

Uh, musicians, Colorado, and a weed smell. Bit of an odd combination??

Hah, lmao pianoman, sorry for the confusion, the place on my way home is a big Warehouse on I-70, but the studio definitely has a peculiar Patchouli odor inside.

desktop-1406771750.png

Thought he might be, what's the other if you know? Rescue?
Dogs rock.

Yep! Part bull terrier. He was about 3 months old off the street when we got him. Had to teach him how to eat out of a bowl. We had to put food on the floor against the cabinets to get him to eat at first. He's 6 this year and a bit reactive still, but very lovable. His big "brother" is 10 this year..

View attachment 1463534407117.jpg

Yep! Part bull terrier. He was about 3 months old off the street when we got him. Had to teach him how to eat out of a bowl. We had to put food on the floor against the cabinets to get him to eat at first. He's 6 this year and a bit reactive still, but very lovable. His big "brother" is 10 this year..

Big bro has Pit in him, what else? I was looking at Pits during my last adoption but called my insurance co and they informed me they would drop me, Still ended up with a hard case, he was rough for the first year, sweetheart now;)

The only problem with pits are humans. American bull terriers are natural care takers. Our baby grandkids have grown with them. Jack, the pool dog, goes from room to room always checking up on our family, especially the kids. Humans are way more a danger to humans then dogs. I have data. Idiot insurance!

We don't know his complete breed complexity.

Next..

View attachment 1463536117569.jpg

The only problem with pits are humans. American bull terriers are natural care takers. Our baby grandkids have grown with them. Jack, the pool dog, goes from room to room always checking up on our family, especially the kids. Humans are way more a danger to humans then dogs. I have data. Idiot insurance!

Next..

Pits were known as nanny dogs, I love the breed.
Why is it I live 50 miles away from Weyerbacher And I see this all over the place and not near me, so good!

@pianoman i love the look of those austin beers i like strong beers, always wanted a greyhound they race them or used to ? Idk in Loveland and i I think after that they went to a farm, Denver outlawed pitbulls i think. I'm going to brew the Founders Breakfast Stout clone again next probably in the next few days or week love that kind of beer

@pianoman i love the look of those austin beers i like strong beers, always wanted a greyhound they race them or used to ? Idk in Loveland and i I think after that they went to a farm, Denver outlawed pitbulls i think. I'm going to brew the Founders Breakfast Stout clone again next probably in the next few days or week love that kind of beer

Outlawed pits? Only bad mark on Colorado so far. That FBS is top notch, did you get the recipe on HBT?

Outlawed pits? Only bad mark on Colorado so far. That FBS is top notch, did you get the recipe on HBT?

Yeah, not colorado denver city. Dont know anything about it. Nope, first time used recipe from Brew your own magazine, now have recipe guaranteed from Brewer,which is same but more hops and less dark malts and well you'll see, but would like to talk about adding coffee. The BYO magazine called for grounds at flame out and dry hopped and the beer ended up tasting like well if you put grounds in your beer let it sit 5 days dry hopped. So good but that off coffee flavor ehh, im thinking coffee should be steeped at flameout and removed or just cold pressed at end. Idk, any thoughts. it's killer, never had real thing but this has lots of hops, is it hoppy?. i used 1/2 cup cocoa powder for unsweetened nibs first time. How were the austin works beers, cheers

Attached both recipes brewer one is green and brown, age 2months yeah thats not going to happen.

View attachment 1463546698613.jpg

View attachment 1463546714564.jpg

View attachment 1463546724798.jpg

View attachment 1463546735461.jpg

View attachment 1463546745878.jpg

@Applescrap, FBS is a coffee bomb but not sure about adding to wort. I know dudes who added grounds post boil and then fermented but was so bad they tossed the beer. I use cocoa powder at 5min mark , not sure if 15min boil would add harsh flavors, would be my concern. Also, I've only used nibs in secondary, with success I might add. I've seen other coffee stout recipes where a French pressed is used to make coffee then added to secondary. That would be my, conservative, approach I've I was to ever do a coffee stout. Hop schedule looks good to me on BYO, way too much on homebrewers, imho.

ABW BA was awesome! Sour was light, Belgium was quaffable for 9%, regular Sputnick was nice.

FWIW, here are the most successful ways to add coffee and chocolate IME

Chocolate - I alwyas used cacao nibs now. Cocoa powder tends to get astringent to me and I dont like how it clumps up sometimes. I will take 4-6oz of nibs, cover them in water and boil them for a minute or so. This extracts a lot of flavor and sanitizes the mixture. I let cool and add the entire mixture right into the fermentor. The nibs will not be big enough to get sucked into a typical siphon tip. Adding vanilla really helps round out the chocolate flavor and give that milk chocolate vibe. I always use 2 vanilla beans with any amount of cacao

Coffee - I've tried grounds at flameout, cold press, and whole beans and whole beans is definitely the way to go. I first read this on mad fermentationist. I dont like adding coffee hot side. The character always gets astringent to me later on and fades too quickly. I add 3-4oz of whole beans right into the fermentor. I use a sanitized bag because the contact time matters. Usually 4 days or so is good to my tastes, but I've left it as long as a week. I do not worry about sanitizing the beans so long as I use a freshly open sealed bag from a reputable vendor/roaster. Havent had a contamination from it yet...

Back