Keto-friendly Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boolean

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I imagine this has been asked before, but I wonder if any keto-friendly extracts out there will yield a low-carb count. I'm keto and like to indulge from time to time, so I figured I'd see if folks know of any solid choices to brew. Also, is there a way to measure the carb count of said beer at home? I am interested in what folks do to determine their nutritional value.

I don't think that matters much, the carbs are not getting into the beer, the starches are converted to sugars and they are getting into the beer, but that being said sugars are way worse for a diet then carbs.

Also, is there a way to measure the carb count of said beer at home?
I don't know of a way to measure carbs at home, but free recipe building calculators will predict the carb count for you. Here's one example. You can lower the carb count by using a diastatic yeast or adding glucoamylase enzyme. There are also prepackaged yeast/enzyme mixtures. You can use less extract to get the same ABV with those options. For example, a five gallon batch made with six pounds of briess pale ale DME and fermented with US-05 should give you a 5% ABV beer with 14g of carbs per 12 ounce glass; five pounds of the same DME fermented with HA-18 will yield a 5% ABV beer with 7g of carbs.

I don't think that matters much, the carbs are not getting into the beer, the starches are converted to sugars and they are getting into the beer, but that being said sugars are way worse for a diet then carbs.
That's fair. I was just attributing carbs to my diet. So it's the sugars I need to be worried about - got it! Any extracts that you can think of that'll help me brew with less sugar, per se?

I don't know of a way to measure carbs at home, but free recipe building calculators will predict the carb count for you. Here's one example. You can lower the carb count by using a diastatic yeast or adding glucoamylase enzyme. There are also prepackaged yeast/enzyme mixtures. You can use less extract to get the same ABV with those options. For example, a five gallon batch made with six pounds of briess pale ale DME and fermented with US-05 should give you a 5% ABV beer with 14g of carbs per 12 ounce glass; five pounds of the same DME fermented with HA-18 will yield a 5% ABV beer with 7g of carbs.
Oh wow.... is there a chance I can talk to you more about this diastatic yeast and glucoamylase enzyme when I get to brew here in a few weeks? I'm looking to do an Amber Ale when for my first go!

is there a chance I can talk to you more about this diastatic yeast and glucoamylase enzyme when I get to brew here in a few weeks?
Search the forums and you should find a few threads on low calorie beers. Go to Fermentis and Lallemand websites to learn about attenuation, diastatic yeasts, enzymes, etc. The "highly attenuative saison yeast(s)" mentioned above are diastatic strains like LalBrew Belle Saison and SafAle BE-134. But be aware that they may contribute fruity and spicy flavors to your beer that you may or may not want.

I've been keto for almost a year but I just accept a few beers during any given week. If I have a couple on a Friday night, I pay it back by walking a mile on Saturday morning. If I have to judge a competition, which means I am FIRMLY NOT in ketosis for that day and the day after, I try to focus on low fat, lean protein rather than my normal high fat, high protein meals. Then in the days following, I try to stay almost zero carb and I return to ketosis pretty quickly.

If I'm going to drink beer, I'm drinking what I like, calories or not. If not, it might as well just be seltzer. I've always had trouble with moderation when it came to glutinous sugar and other carb consumption, but I can moderate beers consciously without much effort. It's a hell of a lot better than 4 beers and half a loaded large pizza in the same night.

On a keto diet, it's really total carbs including all sugars that matters. Glucose, Maltose, Dextrine, doesn't matter. It raises blood sugar and causes an insulin response. You're either in ketosis or not at any given time.

On a keto diet, it's really total carbs including all sugars that matters. Glucose, Maltose, Dextrine, doesn't matter. It raises blood sugar and causes an insulin response. You're either in ketosis or not at any given time.
at my age 60 all carbs completely knock me out and give me a hangover wake up and ruins the day, it would be nice to have an alternative

Ignore anybody who says calories are all that matter. Anybody that has been successful with Keto knows how it works.

I've done keto on and off for years now and I've been using AMG in a lot of my beers. I started using White Labs Ultra Ferm but I found I get the same results from using dry Glucoamylase powder from LD Carlson (Amazon for about $30 for a damn-near lifetime supply). I add a teaspoon or two to a 5 gallon batch in the fermenter and most of my beers get down to at least 1.003 or even lower. I've tried using it in an all-grain mash and it doesn't work as well as in the fermenter but since you're using malt extract you'll be using in the fermenter. With some yeasts you can get the final gravity quite low. I've had the best luck with a French Saison yeast (Wyeast 3711) and Omega Gulo yeast. 0.996 is possible with those two.

Use the calculator on this website to get an estimate of the carb count:
http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/carb-cal.shtml
It's pretty accurate. I sent one of my beers to a lab (Oregon Brew Lab) and for $30 you can get it lab tested. Mine was in the 2-3g range IIRC. No need to test every beer unless your super serious. I did it once to confirm the calculator was close enough.

You'll need to scale your recipes because you'll end up with more alcohol then intended. I use Beersmith for that. You can also cut your beer with carbonated water or de-oxygenated water. I've done that since it's easy enough to do if you've got kegs. I've even brewed an 8% beer and then cut it down to 4% that way. Sure beats having to drink Michelob Ultra.

I know this is more extreme but I’m strictly carnivore 5-6 days per week except for beer.

I drink 5 or more beers every day and haven’t gained any weight. I do hit the gym religiously 3-5 days per week depending on my work schedule.

I tried keto years ago. Too complicated. Carnivore is simple: eat meat.

I get the same results from using dry Glucoamylase powder from LD Carlson (Amazon for about $30 for a damn-near lifetime supply). I add a teaspoon or two to a 5 gallon batch in the fermenter and most of my beers get down to at least 1.003 or even lower. I've tried using it in an all-grain mash and it doesn't work as well as in the fermenter

I've been experimenting on and off with glucoamylase powder (and you're right, it's stupid cheap considering its prodigious power). I once dropped a teaspoon in a gallon of fully fermented double imperial chocolate stout and it dropped the FG from 1.023 to 1.007 :oops: . Considering the 1.107 OG, that was a boozy ending - but fusel free, so just an uber small sipper.

Recently I used two teaspoons of Gluco' in a mash for a ten gallon batch to see what would happen in the one hour before mashout, which presumably would denature the enzymes. Well, no, turns out the denaturing curve doesn't really get interesting until it reaches 200°F. That beer is still fermenting, and while the previous two batches went from 1.073 to 1.014, this batch has gone from 1.073 down to 1.007 - so far - and it has another 2 days to match up with the other two batch's 14 days before they were ready to move along (soft crash/dry hop/hard crash/keg).

So, I'm still learning how to use the stuff which is pretty much the hand grenade of fermentation, best used more cautiously 😁

Cheers!

I know this is more extreme but I’m strictly carnivore 5-6 days per week except for beer.

I drink 5 or more beers every day and haven’t gained any weight. I do hit the gym religiously 3-5 days per week depending on my work schedule.

I tried keto years ago. Too complicated. Carnivore is simple: eat meat.

I'm ketovore because I'm still eating limited high fat dairy (cheese and full fat Greek yogurt) and low carb veg like broccoli and cabbage. Just avoiding anything without added sugar is 80% of the battle for me at least.

If one uses it in the mash, it will not go as low as in the fermenter. The boil will denature it.
This is true. I should have added "in the fermenter." It's a remarkably stable and effective enzyme. It takes very little to allow most beers to ferment dry, and 70C/158F for at least an hour to denature it. So I guess you could pasteurize your beer once it reached the gravity you wanted.

Back