90 minute boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
I apologize for how stupid this question may seem to some of you. I just don't want to mess my beer up.

I'm going to be attempting my first 90 minute boil for a saison recipe with pilsner malt. I'm assuming the hops would go in at the 60 minute mark after 30 minutes of boiling correct? You wouldn't add hops at the 90 minute mark when it first starts to boil, correct?

The correct answer is you follow the recipe - if it calls for a 60 min addition then add with 60 min to go. In practice though if you plug into a calculator you'll see that there is minimal difference between a 60 and 90 min addition in terms of IBU's, like 1-2 IBU's typically. Sometimes when doing a long boil I'll just throw that addition in early.

It could go either way, but more than likely you have it right. Double-check the recipe; it should specifically call out how much time of the boil that the hops should be in the kettle.

You just have to make sure your addition and amount are right to get the IBUs that you want. That could be an ounce at 60 minutes or .75 ounce at 90 minutes. It depends on the hop's AA and when you want to add them. Use what the recipe calls for or use a recipe building app to get the right amount/timing.

You could also foward wort hop (FWH) by adding the bittering charge before the boil occurs. It tends to make the bitterness less harsh, if you desire that.

Back