650L Roast Barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardoman

Reaction score
I raced to the LHBS yesterday just in time to grab some ingredients like Supermarket Sweep before the place closed for the long Labor Day weekend. I need to make a stout this weekend. So I got home and noticed that my pound of roast barley is listed as 650L! I thought that roast barley was usually around 300L, and that much more than that was black patent territory. Did I just get hosed? I'd like to use a pound of roast barley in my 5.5 gallon brew, but with this Lovibond, I only need 0.5 pound to get the SRM I'm looking for. I don't want an impossibly burnt-tasting stout. Any thoughts?

Be thankful you caught that now. I didn't and now I have a REALLY dark Bass clone beer. I too assumed it was around 300. Are there 2 types around?

I'd say cut it down to get the SRM you want. If you can't get the Levibond your looking for before you brew.

I've noticed the stuff at my LHBS is 500+L. The default listing in BeerSmith is 300L. I wonder if there has been a switch to a higher Lovibond in recent years. I haven't found any 300L (though I am sure you can get it online).

I've noticed the stuff at my LHBS is 500+L. The default listing in BeerSmith is 300L. I wonder if there has been a switch to a higher Lovibond in recent years. I haven't found any 300L (though I am sure you can get it online).

Interesting. This will be the first stout I have brewed, so I don't have experience with using either roast barley or black patent. I would much rather have a too-pale stout that tastes good than get the right color and have a burnt ale. I'm thinking I will probably cut back to 0.5lbs at the most.

Thank you for your comments.

There is regular Roasted Barley (300L) and Black Barley (650L). Black Barley (as packaged) is un-malted, where Black Patent is malted. In BeerSmith it is also called Black Barley. I use 3/4lb of Black Barley and 1/4lb Choc Malt in my Extra Stout. Great flavor.

Update:
In case anyone was interested, the 1/2lb roasted barley was far too little and the resulting beer was so weak-tasting that it is not very enjoyable. I might end up dumping a lot of it just so I can use the bottles for a good beer. Next time I will use the full pound.

Back