Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We find ourselves in a golden era of beer. There are more breweries open in the United States than ever before, with more and more opening every day. Countless styles and amazing quality are at our fingertips, and tips of our tongues, in nearly every city in the country. As homebrewers, this massive quantity of great beer can be inspiring, urging us to follow their lead, try new styles, and better our craft. If I drink a great beer, my first reaction is: How can I brew this?
But this immense quality can also be very intimidating. After a failed batch or two (or three), we can easily lose our will to continue. As one friend of mine put it: “With so much great beer, why on earth would I bother trying to make my own?”
While it takes perseverance and years of practice to brew those A+ beers consistently, the good news is, that it isn't that difficult to be brewing really good beer at home on a regular basis. In fact, with two very simple rules, the quality of your beer will get noticeably better immediately. Those rules: Keep it simple, and Brew Seasonably.

Keep It Simple

When I first started brewing, I didn't really understand how different ingredients worked together (or competed with each other) in the finished product. Wanting to brew a pine-forward IPA, I reached for a bunch of different hops, threw in juniper berries, and had a malt-soup with a menagerie of different caramel malts. The result was a sickly sweet mess that tasted more like peanut butter than it did an IPA. It went immediately down the drain.
The second batch was better, except this time I was aiming for a spicy Belgian Pale Ale. I threw in a half pound of cardamom pods, and WHOA: the finished product tasted like a cardamom-laden cleaning product. (If only I had realized that I could have replicated those flavors from the yeast alone!)
We live in an age of experimental brewing. There are delicious commercial examples of beers that use different fruits, spices, nuts, flowers, and even meats, and it's tempting to try producing some crazy recipe yourself: how about a Salad Porter brewed with dandelion greens, arugula, and iceberg lettuce! But what I was slow to realize in my early homebrewing attempts, is that great beer can be brewed with the most simple of ingredients. In fact, many traditional brewing practices use only four basic ingredients: hops, barley, yeast, and water. And while there is nothing wrong with trying to brew a Salad Porter, before one can successfully experiment, it's important to know exactly what each of those basic ingredients contribute to the final product.
Below, I've compiled six simple recipes that use relatively few ingredients, and yet are consistently household favorites of mine to brew. These are beers that anyone can brew, and I regularly feature them on draft at my house.
But the recipe isn't the only contributing factor to brewing great beer. While there are dozens of tiny variables that can make or break a beer, perhaps the most significant of them is insuring that you are fermenting your beer at the right temperature.

Brew Seasonably

The single biggest factor that can separate good beer from mediocre or bad beer is fermentation temperature. Understanding what conditions your yeast thrives in will immediately take your homebrew to the next level.
Many homebrewers either purchase or build temperature controlled chambers for their beer. Some – like myself – retrofit a refrigerator or old chest freezer with heating elements and a thermostat, and others wrap heating pads around their carboy. There are also commercial examples – like the BrewJacket – that can regulate your fermentation temperature electronically. But as important as it is to control fermentation temperature, I rarely advocate for a beginner to invest in this equipment: it takes both space and capital, and there are enough initial startup costs (brew kettle, carboys, racking canes, bottle caps, bottle capper, etc.) that these extra toys can wait.
Instead, I encourage you to be a seasonal brewer, and take advantage of the natural environment in which you live. Does it regularly get to 90°F in the summer? Try brewing a Saison that thrives in really hot temperatures. Do you live in a place with a lot of snow and ice in the winter? Try a good winter lager like a Schwarzbier and lager it in a snowbank. After all, this is how most styles developed in the first place! Most importantly, see if you can find one location in your house that is consistently around 68-72°F: this is where you'll want to brew your American ales.
What follows is a list of five of my favorite seasonal recipes that can take advantage of the natural climate, with brief introductions to those styles and simple how-to instructions.

A Note on the Beer Recipes

For each recipe, I've included percentages of grains and calculated hop IBU's in parentheses with exact quantities by weight to the left. I've found that different homebrewers prefer different sized batches: many beginners start out with one gallon batches, I prefer three gallon batches, and I have several friends who opt for five, five-and-a-half, or ten. Therefore, I've chosen to include the percentage of each ingredient required.If you're brewing 5 gallons, feel free to use the exact amounts.
There are lots of free on-line brewing software sites - like brewtoad.com, which is my favorite – that can help find the exact quantities for each batch.

Petite Saison

saison.jpg

A Saison is a farmhouse ale that was typically brewed by farmers in the warm months of the early summer and drunk throughout the year. Lighter Saisons were brewed for quick consumption in the summer, while heavier Saisons tended to be conditioned in their cellars and saved for the winter months. Saisons can be very different from each other: Belgian Saisons tend to be dry with spicy clove-like phenols and a biscuity finish. French Saisons tend to have a little sweeter profile and a fruitier aroma. Many American Saisons are often spiced with various spices or botanicals. (To learn more about the history and variety of Saisons, check out Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski.)
Saisons should be fermented very warm: usually around 80°F or even 85°F. Though the beer will show fermentation activity almost immediately, the yeast is a very slow worker, and it can take as long as a month for the beer to fully attenuate. However, if brewed in the warm months of July, the beer will be ready to drink in the hottest moments of the summer in August.
This particular Saison is a low ABV example of the style with a lot of spicy pepper and clove flavors, and – if allowed to fully ferment – it finishes really dry. The beer itself is crazy simple … if you're patient!
Grain:
5 lbs - Belgian Pilsen Malt (67%)
1.75 lbs - Rye Malt (22%)
0.75 lbs - White Wheat Malt (11%)
Hops:
1oz Tettnang @ 60 minutes (19 IBU)
Yeast:
Wyeast Belgian Saison 3724
OG: 1.040
FG: 1.009
Single Infusion Mash, 148°F – 60 minutes
Raise Temperature to 170°F – 15 minutes
Boil 90 minutes. Chill, pitch yeast at 68°F. Ferment one month or until FG is reached.

Dry Irish Stout

irish-stout.jpg

Guinness! The quintessential Irish beverage: can one even think of Dublin and not think of Guinness?
Dry Irish Stouts are pitch black beers (that, despite Guinness' claim that they are, in actuality, “a very dark shad of ruby”) with a distinct roasted flavor akin to coffee. Roasted barley is the key ingredient here; this is what lends the beer that unique coffee and bittersweet chocolate character. Irish Stouts tend be to served on nitrogen, something that homebrewers cannot accommodate without special equipment, but even when on CO2 or bottle conditioned, a long lasting, tan, frothy head is expected.
These beers are great in winter, and as long as your ambient house temperature is somewhere between 68°-72°F, they are easy to consistently brew. If you want a softer roast character, try cold-steeping the dark grains: immerse them in water in a covered glass jar, let steep for 24 hours, strain, and then add it to the last few minutes of the boil.
Grain:
5.25 lbs - Maris Otter Pale Malt (67%)
1.75 lbs - Flaked Barley (22%)
1 lb - Roasted Barley (11%)
Hops:
2.25pz East Kent Goldings @ 60 minutes (40 IBU)
Yeast:
Wyeast Irish Ale 1084
OG: 1.042
FG: 1.011
Single Infusion Mash: 156°F – 60 minutes
Raise to 170°F – 15 minutes
Boil 60 minutes. Chill, pitch yeast at 68°F. Ferment at 70°F for ten days, or until FG is reached.

Hefeweizen

Hef.jpg

Hefeweizen, literally translated as “Yeast Wheat,” is, together with Pilsner, the unofficial national drink of Germany. Nearly every brewery in the country brews one of these refreshing brews: cloudy and hazy with a thick, foamy head, Hefeweizens have a strong banana aroma accompanied by spicy cloves. Though American versions were quite common in the early days of craft beer, they've grown a little less popular amongst the wider public, and domestic examples can be surprisingly difficult to find. Thankfully, they are among the easiest beers to brew ourselves! (If you are looking for further reading on the history of the style and brewing suggestions, I highly recommend Brewing With Wheat by Stan Hieronymus.)
Grain:
5.5 lbs - Wheat Malt (52%)
3 lbs - German Pilsen 2-Row (34%)
0.5 lb - Munich Malt (8%)
0.25lb - Rice Hulls (4%)
Hops:
1.25 oz Tettnanger @ 60 minutes (14 IBU)
1 oz Tettnanger @ 30 minutes (11 IBU)
Yeast:
WYeast 3068
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012
Single infusion mash 150°F for 60 minutes.
Raise to 170°F for 15 minutes.
Boil 90 minutes. Chill, pitch yeast at 64°F. Ferment 7 days or until final gravity is reached.

American Pale Ale

Pale-Ale.jpg

Without question, APAs (American Pale Ales), IPAs (India Pale Ales), and DIPAs (Double India Pale Ales) are the most popular beer styles right now in the United States, and their popularity has spread to places as far and near as Canada, England, and New Zealand. Hops are used in beer for two purposes: as a preservative (to prevent the beer from going rancid) and a bittering agent (to counteract the natural sweetness of wort). Hops are used in every beer style (by definition, to be called beer it must have hops), but they take center stage in these hop forward styles.
Besides “Pale Ale” (basically lower gravity IPAs) and “Double IPA” (double the hops, double the alcohol, double the fun!), there are multiple different versions of the IPA. A few of the more popular variants:
Session IPA: a low alcohol IPA that one can drink multiple of in one sitting without getting highly inebriated. Usually under 5% abv.
White IPA: a hybrid of a Belgian Witbeer and an IPA, it's brewed with coriander and orange zest.
Black IPA: also called a Cascadian Dark Ale, it's brewed with dark malts and more pine forward hops.
Belgian IPA: a Pale Ale fermented with Belgian yeast and heavy doses of (typically American) hops.
New England IPA: a hazy, cloudy, beer with minimal bitterness and bursting with juicy hop aromas and flavors.
A trip into any homebrew shop will reveal a dizzying array of different hop varieties, and though some hop combinations are magic in a glass, if one isn't careful, these hops can really clash with each other. Thus, for a first foray into the wild world of hops, I recommend a pretty straight forward single-hop American Pale Ale. Highlighting the Citra hop, this particular recipe features flavors of grapefruit juice and orange zest, and is best brewed in Fall to take advantage of the hop harvest. (I strongly recommend Hops by Mitch Steele for anyone looking to learn more about this style.)
Grain:
7.25 lbs - American 2-Row (75%)
1.25 lbs - Light Munich Malt (12.5%)
1.25 lbs Victory Malt (12.5%)
Hops:
1.75oz Citra @ 15 minutes (39 IBU)
1.5oz Citra @ 5 minutes (16 IBU)
3.3oz Citra @ Flameout – Hold 20 minutes (this is called a hop stand)
5oz Citra – Dry Hop into primary, roughly five days into fermentation (1 oz per gallon) – 7 days
Yeast:
Omega Yeast DIPA Ale (OYL-052)
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.014
Single infusion mash at 148°F for one hour.
Boil for 60 minutes. Add flameout hops and let sit for 20 minutes. Chill to 68°F and pitch yeast. Ferment 4-5 days, then add dry hops. (Optional: split the dry hops into two separate batches, one pitched 4 days into fermentation, the other 7 days). This beer will leave a lot of hop particulate in suspension, and it is recommended to cold crash and fine with gelatin when fermentation is complete before packaging.

Hoppy Amber Ale

amber-ale.jpg

One of my favorite beers I've ever made was an American Amber Ale. Not quite as sexy a style as IPA, Ambers – which are descendants from the Red Ale – have a dark (amber!) caramel color, moderate hop bitterness, and a full mouthfeel. This recipe actually came about early in my homebrewing days when I just dumped all my leftover ingredients into a kettle and hoped for the best. What I got was actually the best!
This particular recipe thrives off the interplay of the Citra and Columbus hops with the brown malt. The brown malt lends a pleasant nuttiness with just enough bitterness to counteract the full malt presence. My favorite winter beer, it is a regular on draft at my house.
Grain:
7.3 lbs - Marris Otter Malt (74%)
1.75 lbs - 17% Caramel/Crystal 20L (17%)
0.8lbs - 8% Brown Malt (8%)
Hops
0.4oz Columbus @ 45 min. (29 IBU)
0.4oz Chinook @ 20 min. (14 IBU)
0.4oz Columbus @ 15 min. (16 IBU)
0.8oz Chinook @ Flameout (15 minute hop stand)
0.8oz Columbus @ Flameout (15 minute hop stand)
0.8oz Citra @ Flameout (15 minute hop stand)
2oz Citra - Dry hop 4 days (0.4oz per gallon)
Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 minutes
Yeast
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
Single infusion mash at 152°F for 60 minutes.
Boil for 60 minutes, add hops at flameout and let sit for 15 minutes. Chill to 68°F and pitch yeast. Ferment two weeks at 68°F. Add dry hops after 10 days of fermentation.

Berliner Weisse

berlienr.jpg

Berliner Weisse is a low ABV sour ale that was very popular in Berlin in the 18th and 19th centuries. Dubbed by Napoleon “The Champagne of Beers,” it is highly carbonated and lightly tart. Traditionally, the beer was served in goblets (or bowls) and a sweet woodruff syrup was added. Though the beer has lost favor amongst most native Berliners, it has been gaining massive popularity throughout the United States, and is frequently blended with fruit, dry hopped, or barrel aged.
Berliner Weisse gets its sourness from a bacteria called lactobacillus (the same bacteria that sours yogurt). Though not the only souring agent found in beer, it is easy to work with, and at its best produces aromas of lemon curd; at its worst, it gives off aromas of vomit and urinal cake.
Some may argue that Berliner Weisse is a more advanced style to brew, and the last sentence in the previous paragraph may initially scare off some rookie brewers. But no fear! This recipe is easy, inexpensive, refreshing, and perfectly suited for brewing in the hottest months of summer: not only does lactobacillus thrive in temperatures between 100-115°F, but it only takes 15 minutes to boil! Just be sure to drink it fresh: with so few hops in this beer, it's shelf life is only a few weeks. (There's a great chapter on Berliner Weisse in Brewing With Wheat, as well a more thorough chapter in Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow.)
Grain:
5.25 lbs - American 2-Row (83%)
1.25 lbs - White Wheat (17%)
Hops:
0.5oz Tettnang @ 15 minutes (4 IBU)
Yeast:
Rehydrated Safale US-05
OG: 1.033
FG: 1.005
Single infusion mash at 148°F for one hour. Raise temperature to 170° for 15 minutes. Mash out and collect ¼ gallon more than your batch size (if doing a 5 gallon batch, collect 5.25 gallons of wort) into a sanitized brew kettle or cooler. Pitch a handful of unmilled American 2-Row into the wort, and cover the top of the wort with sanitized plastic wrap: the goal is to keep oxygen out of the wort. Cover and keep as close to 100°F as possible for one-two days. (The longer it sits, the more sour it will become.) Remove the plastic wrap and boil 15 minutes. Chill and pitch yeast at 68°. Ferment one week.
berlienr.jpg

Good start. I would like to add to use this website. For example this link https://www.homebrewtalk.com/homebrewtalk-top-homebrew-recipes-24-1.html is very useful

Saison is the simplest by far. I brewed one in the attic in summer (hot) using a light lager brew kit and pitching Belle Saison. I served the five gallons at a party and it was just simply a Saison: Pale, dry, light, spicy. All pilsner malt is fine.

What a great article and variety of recipes. I have turned to all-grain here in Ecuador, in fact have to make my own malt if I want to have all-grain beer.
I am having a problem with hazy beer, and cannot seem to get around it. The biggest problem is that the hazy beer has a bad sort of sour aftertaste, that I would really like to get rid of. I have been closely following instruction and info in this blog as well as Beersmith information, but I just can't seem to get around to getting this beer cleared up. I went to whirl pooling on my last batch, but come bottling time, I still have the haze. I added gelatin, which helps, but I must be doing something wrong to be getting this haze and aftertaste.
Any suggestions???

This article sort of misses the point in why home brewers try to brew. IMO, home brewers brew because they can't get what they want from the commercial brewing scene, they are not trying to reproduce or compete with that. You might want to look at what commercial brews have to offer and how they are all pretty much the same bottle conditioned brew with only hints of life or spice, and what a home brewer can produce that is outside the commercially feasible beers. For example, small beers, or alternate bases, like potatoes or fruit wine mashups.

Nice write up for those doing 3 gallon batches. I always found it frustrating to scale down from the 5 gallon standard and often missed the mark of what I was going for. I honestly feel that for someone getting into all grain, 3 gallons is a great way to get started given the lower financial risk of not hitting the mark. I recently upped my gear for 5 gallon batches but the 3 gallon batches I did gave me a stronger understanding of balancing the grain bill. Kudos!

Hmmm.. I think plenty of us brew the styles we enjoy commercially and this is a good article for a beginner brewer interested in that. I have zero interest in brewing a potato beer or fruit beer to be honest.

I am not sure I would recommend a beginner try an all-grain saison with Wyeast 3724 but if I did I would definitely point out that if you ferment it at 68 degrees you are likely going to see a stall in the attenuation that will require raising the temp into the 80s to complete.

i love this article! have been brewing for years, but dont need to brew fancy just because. am always interested to try a new recipe and simplify the brew day so i can get back to relaxing!

Great article, i'll try that saison recipe at some point.

Hey that pale ale recipe looks pretty damn good I'm gonna have to try that out!

Just because commercial versions are out there doesn't mean they will be as good or better than what you make at home. If you brew your own you have the ability to tweak the recipe to your liking and possibly exceed commercial quality. Lots of people start out home brewing before going commercial. Its not just about unique recipes its about having pride in something that you crafted.

I think your average brewer that isn't affiliated with the brewing industry(or a wanna be) is much less interested in commercial beers than you might think.

The term "homebrewer" paints with an exceptionally large brush, so making any generalizations is not advisable, and typically very inaccurate.

I think you'll find people homebrew for all kinds of reasons. I can brew the hoppiest IIPA for maybe 20% of the price of a commercial one, and often mine taste better since they are fresh, haven't had to go through the retail distribution process. So there's that.
I actually think this is a pretty great list, only thing I disagree on is here is the hefeweizen which a lot of people struggle with, myself included.

Maybe you can find a homebrewer who is perfectly satisfied with commercially available beers, I doubt they exist, except in some viral marketing doppelgänger sense.

I guess a SMaSH is pretty simple, but you shouldn't need a recipe for one, I wouldn't think. I mean, 100% maris otter malt and 100% EKG hops makes a great beer. Few brewers would need a recipe for something like that.

It's a recipe page for beginner brewer's, Water treatment is the last thing someone just starting out should be thinking about.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think there is a large group of homebrewers that simply enjoy the process of brewing and sharing the end product. I don't think you have to want to only brew what you can't find commercially, or have to brew with alternate ingredients as a homebrewer. I know when i started i was truly just interested in learning the process. I think this article does a good job of listing a few styles that someone just starting out could brew with minimal equipment and end up with a solid beer that would keep them going and learning.

wow I must say brewing beer is not easy at all. I tried but the flavor coming out is not tasty as we might think. :(

Thanks, good article! No Saison or Sours for me, but I have a lot of raw Montana Wheat I'd put into the Hefe .... I use a bit in each wheat beer I brew - after all, it was free, and I don't waste nuttin"!

I may do the saison with Belle Saison yeast. Love rye beers. Nice article.

I like the recipes! A couple of suggestions for newbies reading the comments:
1.) For the saison recipe, I'd suggest grabbing a packet of Belle Saison dry yeast, instead of the 3724. No starter, and no problems with it stalling out. Not as much character as the DuPont strains, but super easy to use.
2.) For the Berliner Weiss, rather than using grains to sour, use a 1L carton of Goodbelly Juice probiotic. It's cheap ($4) and has a strain of Lactobacillus (L. plantarum) that works at room temp.

I disagree. I wish someone had talked to me about water treatment when I started. My beers were just soso until I started treating water...then they became really good. Really good is what all beginners want to make...not just soso. Basic water treatment is not rocket science although some folks like to make it seem like it is.

Quick followup - did the rye saison with Belle Saison yeast and it is outstanding. Quite often simplicity can yield some of the best results, and this straightforward recipe combined with a packet of dry saison yeast did exactly that. Just a delightful, effervescent, flavorful brew with a touch of that unique Belgian funk. Thanks Keith!

Yay!! Great to hear the recipe has worked well for you! Cheers!

I agree with the dork. I got into homebrewing because I was interested in learning the process, and also because I was on a limited budget and thought "if I learn how to make beer, I can drink more for less money!" Then I got hooked and spent a lot of money upgrading equipment... Oh well. Now I'm a pro brewer and I still have no desire to brew with potatoes, oyster shells, pig testicles or the like... Although I do brew with fruit and it's the worst, most annoying process ever(but does make damn good beer).
Elitists love to say "I started homebrewing because I wanted to drink good beer and was tired of the crap that breweries are making." To them I say good luck, and please hire me when all the breweries shut down because the world has finally discovered your master brewmanship.

Can any one assist in brewing in Saudi Arabia.
The easiest way/method and recipe for a home brew with ingredients available here.
Not too long waiting time and a step by step instruction to go about as this will be my first time.
Hope to hear some advice.
Regards
Gert

Latest posts

Back