2011 HBT Fantasy Baseball Season!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HoppyDaze said:
sorry for not being there...CPA here and its right in the middle of tax season. Don't fret though ...ESPN decided to draft 14 second baseman for me so I doubt I will be competitive. Two years in a row. I just dont understand it, Very frustrating

Unless you pre-rank your players before the draft, espn selects players based upon who the next best ranked player is who will fit onto your whole roster ( bench included).

Well this this being a keeper league, I just picked up Strasberg in hopes that I will not need both DL slots at the same time this season. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Well this this being a keeper league, I just picked up Strasberg in hopes that I will not need both DL slots at the same time this season. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Nice move!! Hope it works out for you. I know that I used both of my DL slots last season for most of the year. (damn you, Ellsbury)

Good Catch, Eagle. I'd thought about the same thing, but didn't pull the trigger. Hope he works out for you.

Let the questionable decisions begin!!

Just dropped Ian Stewart to pick up Grady Sizemore. How many years will I let him hurt me? The guy's name should be John-O'Rourke's Fantasy-Baseball-Ike-Turner.

Been having trouble logging into the league. Keeps telling invalid team. Hope this is a temp problem and gets fixed before next week!

Check your login and password, Guidry. I just tried and had no issue logging in.

Figured it out. Problem was from my phone which is very important on a daily basis since my employer does not understand the importance of this league and as such has blocked the league site.

Figured it out. Problem was from my phone which is very important on a daily basis since my employer does not understand the importance of this league and as such has blocked the league site.

That bastard. Where are his priorities?!?

Play begins in two days...I need to make a trade but only like three people have there trading block updated. Good Luck all!

If you need to update your trading block before the season starts, you have drafted poorly.

That being said, I'll see if there is anything I'm looking for and update mine.

ouch :)

OR

trades are a fun and basic part of fantasy sports. Everyone should be looking for ways to improve their team it seems.

John- where are you on trading me for Buster?
Take a look and let me know what you want/need from my team.

thanks,
Wendy

ouch :)

OR

trades are a fun and basic part of fantasy sports. Everyone should be looking for ways to improve their team it seems.

Totally agreed.

John- where are you on trading me for Buster?
Take a look and let me know what you want/need from my team.

thanks,
Wendy

Not looking to deal Posey per se. If you have something in mind, send it over.

@ johnnyO--- Mauer for Buster, straight up?
Too bad you arent a twins fan ;)

edit: I also filled out my trading block. I did not know about it. thanks.

@ johnnyO--- Mauer for Buster, straight up?
Too bad you arent a twins fan ;)

edit: I also filled out my trading block. I did not know about it. thanks.

As productive as Mauer can be, his injury risk is as high as Posey's growth potential.

Sorry Wendy.

no worries, Johnny, I just figured you'd need a catcher. I hopefully have the next ROY on my roster, the G-men's new 1B
:)
I'm listening to KNBR, racking 3 beers, getting ready for opening day.

no worries, Johnny, I just figured you'd need a catcher. I hopefully have the next ROY on my roster, the G-men's new 1B
:)
I'm listening to KNBR, racking 3 beers, getting ready for opening day.

Cheers Wendy! What's the local perspective on Brian Wilson's DL stint?

Anyone know how long it takes ESPN to update their DL eligibility?

Well Jason Bay was officially put on the DL within the last 90 minutes, and ESPN has him on the DL now. So pretty quick.

Actually, just saw that you had Bay. Go ahead and DL him!

Yeh, I was watching exactly that. I got a message on my phone FROM ESPN saying he was on the DL yet the game list did not have him. Just made that move. Can't figure out why it took so long for the team to officially declare it anyway.

Yeh, I was watching exactly that. I got a message on my phone FROM ESPN saying he was on the DL yet the game list did not have him. Just made that move. Can't figure out why it took so long for the team to officially declare it anyway.

He only saw the Dr. yesterday. GM hadn't had the chance to speakto Bay personally, and didn't want to make it official before dooing so.

At least thats what is being reported.

I imagine it has something else to do with roster moves.

Yeah Morrow has been on retro active DL since the last week of spring but they didnt update the DL through espn until halfway through opening day, it should have showed up at midnight or the night before like everyone elses but bummer, so I missed out on good pick ups like mike aviles.

Weren't Holds 4 points last year, thought they were half what saves were? Their set at 3 right now, and Losses were -5 last year, not -10? similar to a Blown Save being -4(half the 8 a save is)? It seems like it would make sense to have a loss similar in point value to that of a blown save? The projected points just seem like the best pitcher(halladay) is so much further from equaling the best batter(pujols) unlike last year, Im not complaining because Im on the offense side of it since I own Pujols, but I ran the numbers and if for example IP was upped from 2.1 to an even 3 which benefits pitchers equally; like john suggested/asked, Halladay would be projected not 745 but 958, which is closer to Pujol's 1026. Should a pitchers value be equal to a batter? What do you guys think? Hows everyone else feeling about the changes so far?

I don't know how it was last year, but the blown save points are ferocious... my closer got rocked by the Phils & lost the game yesterday, but to get a negative 22 for that is kinda crazy. I don't have any perspective I guess.

Anyways, I'm liking Mr Belt right now. Last nite was his 5th ML AB and hits a 3 run HR. Of course we still lose to LA, but wasn't that guy's fault!

JohnnyO said:
That would have been great input a few weeks ago, Carson.

I know I thought about that too, didn't have an idea of how things would equate to. Just weird seeing quality starts leveled to nothing from the loss. Not used to it.

midfielder5 said:
I don't know how it was last year, but the blown save points are ferocious... my closer got rocked by the Phils & lost the game yesterday, but to get a negative 22 for that is kinda crazy. I don't have any perspective I guess.

Anyways, I'm liking Mr Belt right now. Last nite was his 5th ML AB and hits a 3 run HR. Of course we still lose to LA, but wasn't that guy's fault!

Yeah sanchez was coasting for a little but I am not terribly sad the giants lost, jus wish those last runs weren't his so he'd have a no decision. Go Dodgers. Id have to say it may not have been belt just sloppy error filled bball.

That blown save might have got registered as a loss, the bs would have only been -4 but the loss -10 plus some -1's for ER and Hits. It adds up. The point change in IP wouldn't drastically make the Blown save or lose drastically easier to swallow, its only .9, yeah I don't know, just feeling things out.

Yeah sanchez was coasting for a little but I am not terribly sad the giants lost, jus wish those last runs weren't his so he'd have a no decision. Go Dodgers. Id have to say it may not have been belt just sloppy error filled bball.

That blown save might have got registered as a loss, the bs would have only been -4 but the loss -10 plus some -1's for ER and Hits. It adds up. The point change in IP wouldn't drastically make the Blown save or lose drastically easier to swallow, its only .9, yeah I don't know, just feeling things out.

Yes, it definitely does. I started Jake Westbrook today. 4.1 innings, 5 walks, 6 hits, and 8 runs. -13.9 points to the bottom line today.

Ouch.

Let's keep an eye on the scoring. If there lissome glaring issue that everyone agrees needs to be changed, we can do it.

The whole point of this is that we all have a good time with this and want to participate.

Freakin baseball is back baby!!! Awesomeness.

Well, I can see that we're going to live or die by pitching this season.

I just scored over 50 points for Jaime Garcia's complete game shutout of the Padres (9 IP, 4H, 2BB, 9K).

By contrast, last season, Ubaldo's shutout of the braves didn't quite net 50 points.

Not a complaint, just a data point

I agree with jds....some of these pitching settings need a closer look at.

for example my SP for atlanta today pitched 6 innings, 1ER, 4H, 7K, 1BB, 1HB in a no decision and ended up with 19.6 points. Seems like a lot.

but wait, the RP for atlanta who my opponent has struck out the side in the ninth for the save and ended up with 16.1 points. Seems like a lot ^2

Not trying to complain...but with the involvement level in this league I see nothing wrong with letting the settings evolve over time based on owner opinion. Just thinking out loud.

I think that losses and blown saves should "cost" the same amount of points as wins and saves. So yes it seems like ALOT of point earned/lost on pitching, but IMO I like the scoring the way it is. I don't think that losses should be taken so lightly. I think that the biggest points issue in regards to pitching was the points per inning pitched was originally too high. Johnny fixed that LAST year.

We all had a chance to review and comment on the scoring system BEFORE the start of the 2011 season. I for one would VOTE AGAINST changing the points since the season has started. Honestly, why should I or anyone else be penalized for the lack of attention to detail by a few league members? I drafted the way I did primary based on scoring strategy.

Thats my 2 cents, and I'm enjoying the season so far...missed baseball big time! Go Draybek and Walden!!!!

I think that losses and blown saves should "cost" the same amount of points as wins and saves. So yes it seems like ALOT of point earned/lost on pitching, but IMO I like the scoring the way it is. I don't think that losses should be taken so lightly. I think that the biggest points issue in regards to pitching was the points per inning pitched was originally too high. Johnny fixed that LAST year.

We all had a chance to review and comment on the scoring system BEFORE the start of the 2011 season. I for one would VOTE AGAINST changing the points since the season has started. Honestly, why should I or anyone else be penalized for the lack of attention to detail by a few league members? I drafted the way I did primary based on scoring strategy.

Thats my 2 cents, and I'm enjoying the season so far...missed baseball big time! Go Draybek and Walden!!!!

well said...I have the whole season to adjust my strategy.

Agreed.

I agree with jds....some of these pitching settings need a closer look at.

for example my SP for atlanta today pitched 6 innings, 1ER, 4H, 7K, 1BB, 1HB in a no decision and ended up with 19.6 points. Seems like a lot.

but wait, the RP for atlanta who my opponent has struck out the side in the ninth for the save and ended up with 16.1 points. Seems like a lot ^2

Not trying to complain...but with the involvement level in this league I see nothing wrong with letting the settings evolve over time based on owner opinion. Just thinking out loud.

I want to be very clear here: I don't think the settings should be changed. All I was saying is that the changes in scoring from last season place a bit more importance on pitching. You have to remember: Pitchers don't play every day. I's guess that at the end of the season, you'll still see fielders taking the top scoring position, not pitchers.

JDS votes for "change nothing" -- I'll just be scouring the available pitching more often.

midfielder5 said:
Where is the trash talkin' ... Is there another thread? :)

Hard to talk much trash when your team's performing like mine so far. Waiting for them to wake up.

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Back