100% Brett C. Necessary cell count.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guiriguiri

Reaction score
I'm planning on trying my first 100% brett beer soon. I've got 2 packs of Wyeast Brett C, so 200 billion cells.

Pitching brett as the only yeast requires lagering rates, which I've read is 12 million cells/mL.

According to my (possibly incorrect) math, it would require 270 billion cells to fully ferment 12 gallons.

If that's correct, then a few days in a starter should be sufficient?

Am I not seeing something correctly here?

Look at milk the funk wiki on brett starters. Slow growth is typical of brett. Then deciding whether to stir or not. Etc.

That math is incorrect - depending on OG, 12 gal at lager pitch rates would be more like 800-1200 billion cells. In my experience, Brett gives you a lot of leeway in terms of pitching rates. Lower pitch rates just take longer, but can have more expressive Brett character. Honestly, one fresh smack pack per 6 gallons would work, or feel free to do a 1 L starter per 6 gal

if I'm not mistaken the Brett cell counts are way low compared to sacc.

From Micheal Tonsmiere in his post about his 100% Brett Brux Trois IPA he has this to say:
I talked to the WL people while researching the book. There is a range depending on cell size, but under 3 billion for the pure-strain Brett vials (35 ml at 50-80 million cells/ml - 1.8-2.7 billion cells). Perfect for a secondary fermentation, but needs to be grown to get in the safe-range for 100% Brett. The blends have about twice that many cells, but still need some help in the Sacch department in my opinion.

if I'm not mistaken the Brett cell counts are way low compared to sacc.

From Micheal Tonsmiere in his post about his 100% Brett Brux Trois IPA he has this to say:
I talked to the WL people while researching the book. There is a range depending on cell size, but under 3 billion for the pure-strain Brett vials (35 ml at 50-80 million cells/ml - 1.8-2.7 billion cells). Perfect for a secondary fermentation, but needs to be grown to get in the safe-range for 100% Brett. The blends have about twice that many cells, but still need some help in the Sacch department in my opinion.

White labs has a disappointingly low cell count, as you mentioned. But wyeast is about 80 billion!

White labs has a disappointingly low cell count, as you mentioned. But wyeast is about 80 billion!
it's a racket if you ask me. like how suddenly they managed to make the proper amount of the yeast formerly known as Brett brux. once they noticed it's technically sacc for the same price.

it's a racket if you ask me. like how suddenly they managed to make the proper amount of the yeast formerly known as Brett brux. once they noticed it's technically sacc for the same price.
good to know wyeast have a proper count

You'd think they'd notice a lot more people are using it for primary.

Back