Who Would You Most Like to Have a Beer With?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Ted Williams

Just wait till they thaw him out and bring him back to life and you could probably call him up.. :tank:

well.. i don't guess he ended up in the cryo freeze after all huh...

oh well.

oh..
1 other person i'd like to have a beer with..

Yoda!

The Dalai Lama (I'm pretty sure he doesn't drink, though)
Pope John Paul II (Don't know if he drank, but he was Polish Catholic so the odds are good)
Albert Einstein (possibly the most entertaining egghead ever)

2 out of 3 dead...

well i didn't read through all the posts, but the first page contained 2 of mine , mark twain and hunter s thompson. thompsons numero uno though, and i'd definitely like to shoot guns with him after we had our buzz on. too bad he's dead, at least i got to meet him once (sans the beer though, although i'm pretty sure he was drinking some whiskey).

edit- or neal cassady now that i'm really thinking about it.

I also only read the first page...I'd definately have to agree with Douglas Adams, and Tolkien, but I'd add Terry Pratchet to the great and entertaining authors list. As for comedians, George Carlin, Robin Williams, and the late Chris Farley (But I'm not sure I could keep up). As for inspiration, I'm pretty sure most of the "great leaders" would have too much crap coming out of their mouths to get any kind of beer in there would be impossible. But, I bet whoever helped them along the way would be great.

dancingbarefoot said:
No kidding! I imagine having a drink with him would be something you'd never forget. :tank:

My wife has a few of his books. I always assumed he was a bit of a hack. Maybe I ought to pick one up one of these days.....

Living would be Dave Barry.

deceased would be Ronnie Van Zant (of Lynyrd Skynyrd fame)

SwAMi75 said:
My wife has a few of his books. I always assumed he was a bit of a hack. Maybe I ought to pick one up one of these days.....

Terry Pratchett's one of the funniest people alive, IMHO. Witty, even. Definitely worth a read.

Ya'll,

If I had the choice of any human who ever lived,
to 'have a beer with'.
It would be Linda Lovelace

J. Knife

I've never been able to answer this question but it came to me while posting on this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=103499&posted=1#post103499

I would really enjoy having a home brew or two with Charlie Papazian. Preferably some of his and some of mine. Reading his Complete Joy of Home Brewing got me hopelessly hooked over 10 years ago and I haven't forgotten how enthused he made me toward brewing. I would have him autograph my torn, tattered, and stained copy that I still use to this day.

Can't limit myself to one, but I'd have to go with:

Ben Franklin
FDR
W. Churchill
John Browning

The only 'famous' person I've had a beer with (Guiness, actually, several of them) was the bassist of Flogging Molly. Dropkick Murphys may already know who they are, but they're an 'Irish Drinking' band. The best part was that he downed these beers and a couple shots of Jameson with me and a couple of my buddies before they got up to play their set, where he proceeded to pound several more pints.

-Chris

here's just a few brain farts from me about this-

tom waits, because nobody ever sees him in public, and i'd love to ask him about his lyrics
my dad, maybe after we went fishing since we never do that anymore
van gogh, but it would have to be 1880 absinthe in france
johnny cash, any conversation with him would be deep and wonderfull
my wife, i've only seen her drunk once and i'm sure my hombrew could do it to her if she had like 4

but i if i had to pick only 1 person, it would be my old friend androo from art school after we rode a hundred miles on our motorcycles, and we would talk about the futility of making art today and then set off some fireworks while smoking black and milds and drinking pbr

barrett

Say what you will about where his company has gone recently, but Walt Disney is top of my list. I got the chance to learn a lot of about him when the Disney exhibit started its tour at the Henry Ford Museum last year and that man had a handle on the American family like no other.

Some of my favorite quotes:
"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."
"Laughter is America's most important export."
"Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought - sometimes it isn't much, either."
"You reach a point where you don't work for money." (this one refers to him getting to a point where he worked to fund the projects he wanted to create, like Disneyland)

Jason

my grandfather Leslie Ellis Blew Died when I was 18
kurt kobain 5 min before he was murderd (some of you wont know of him)
Sam Adams
the person responsiable for making Optamator
Oh this list could go on and on and on and on

Jerry Garcia, I think the drunken conversation would be a groovy trip!

jerry-peace.jpg

jaybird said:
kurt kobain 5 min before he was murderd (some of you wont know of him)

LOL. 40 and I guarantee I know who Cobain was. Had a hard time hearing him tho, blew my eardrums out with Pagey....

(And for the record, yeah Bonzo would prolly be more ready for a pint, but I'd still have a drink with the man)

EDIT: so post wasn't :off:

Ize

Bob Marley...oops, we're talking about DRINKING.

I'd have to say my son, when he gets older. (can't wait for the good times). I would love to drink with my father as well, but he doesn't drink. bummer.

desiderata said:
Bob Marley...oops, we're talking about DRINKING.

I'd have to say my son, when he gets older. (can't wait for the good times). I would love to drink with my father as well, but he doesn't drink. bummer.

my thought exactly...

Bob Marley, oops yes, we are talking about drinking

my son, oops don't have one...

my father, oops he doesn't drink either.

guess i will settle for the Swedish Bikini Team... :rockin:

A thread worthy of a bump. How this sank to the depths, I don't know.

1. Jack Kerouac
2. Jimmy Page (did this!)
3. Bruce Springsteen (did this too!)

My dad. I have a heck of a lot to tell him about the last few years. I've done some small stuff that would make him prouder of me than he was already.

My list:

1. My father. He died when I was 8, so I never really knew him.
  2. My granddad. Ditto, except I was 12.
  3. Octavia Butler. She was one of my favorite authors, and she died too early, in a tragic accident.
  4. Billy Carter, just because.
  5. George R.R. Martin, so I could give him a piece of my mind about how slow he writes.
  6. Neil Gaiman, just because I dig his sense of humor.

Reminds me of a common golfers hypothetical.. "Name 3 people to fill out your foursome..."

Pretty sure my three would be the same for having that beer and playing 18...

1. My Dad
2. My Grandfather
3. My Best Friend

I know..not exciting to most..but it would be as memorable to me as if it were...

1. Tiger Woods
2. John Daly
3. The big boobed red head that works over in accounting

OK, flyangler, just for you.

1. My dad. He died almost 2 years ago when we were just starting to get close.
2. My father-in-law. Died well before I met my wife. Apparently would have loved my brewing hobby (incidentally, I've been married twice and both FIL's had died before I met their daughters. Weird)
3. Grantland Rice
4. Shakespeare
5. Robert B. Parker. Man writes dialogue like nobody else but has lost some on his fastball recently.
6. Raymond Chandler
7. chainsaw because he's badass.

Back