Helles style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so I was doing some searching on Youtube and The Apt Brewer had a cool Helles recipe that I was thinking of trying. Problem is, he uses a spunding valve and pressure fermentation that I don't have. He also does a step mash, which I have never done. I am at work and thought I would go to the pro's. What good Helles recipe's do you guys and gals have that you would recommend to a brewer who has simply a kettle, burner and fermenting chamber to work with? Like I said, step mashing and the likes I have never done, and with the propane burner might be a bit difficult for me, so single step mash is better, but I am not against it. I do BIAB is that means anything. I can sparge as well, so that is not an issue. Anyway's, enough rambling, let's see what you all have for your go to Helles style beers. Thanks in advance.

OK, so I was doing some searching on Youtube and The Apt Brewer had a cool Helles recipe that I was thinking of trying. Problem is, he uses a spunding valve and pressure fermentation that I don't have. He also does a step mash, which I have never done. I am at work and thought I would go to the pro's. What good Helles recipe's do you guys and gals have that you would recommend to a brewer who has simply a kettle, burner and fermenting chamber to work with? Like I said, step mashing and the likes I have never done, and with the propane burner might be a bit difficult for me, so single step mash is better, but I am not against it. I do BIAB is that means anything. I can sparge as well, so that is not an issue. Anyway's, enough rambling, let's see what you all have for your go to Helles style beers. Thanks in advance.

Here's one that I've won a couple ribbons with:

10 lb Pilsen
.5 lb Crystal 15

1 oz Sterling @60
.5 oz Sterling @15

SafLager W-34/70

This one is stupid simple. Just follow normal mashing, boiling, fermentation, and fining practices.

Here's one that I've won a couple ribbons with:

10 lb Pilsen
.5 lb Crystal 15

1 oz Sterling @60
.5 oz Sterling @15

SafLager W-34/70

This one is stupid simple. Just follow normal mashing, boiling, fermentation, and fining practices.
This being my first foray into lagers, would you be able to give me a bit of guidance with the mash, fermentation and fining process you use? My normal mash is at about 152 for 60 minutes, ferment in the mid range of the yeast, typically around 65 or so and I have never done any fining. As I understand it, when I keg it I have to drop the temp to mid 30's and leave it be for a few weeks as well. I really appreciate your reply so if I am asking a stupid question I apologize.

I use this recipe often and it’s a great beer. I use 34/70 yeast. Scale to your desired batch size and you’re golden.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/biermunchers-“helles-belles”-munich-helles-ag.48985/
It looks like this.
IMG_1599.jpeg

Edit: I lower the mash temp closer to 150° and I also only boil for 60 minutes and adjust the hop schedule to maintain the same IBUs.

Last edited:
Chiming in to upvote the 34/70, ideally at ~54 F but probably good at whatever steady temperature you can manage. It’s reliable, it’s easy to pitch enough of it, and it doesn’t require hand-holding to avoid diacetyl.

For malt, mostly Pilsner. A dash of Munich and/or Vienna is good. Base malts only. No crystal/caramel nothin’. No dextrin malt. A single infusion mash is fine. So is 152. Enough time cold in the keg and you don’t need to worry about fining.

Any noble hop you want will be fine. Mostly at 60, though I personally enjoy a late addition as well.

That’s my take on what to do the first time through. It will make a nice beer, and give you a reference point for further exploration.

Awesome. thanks folks. I like that it is a fairly easy brew to do as I have not done any lagers to date. I tried a Helles and really enjoyed it, so I want to give it a go. This will for sure be on my list to try soon.

This being my first foray into lagers, would you be able to give me a bit of guidance with the mash, fermentation and fining process you use? My normal mash is at about 152 for 60 minutes, ferment in the mid range of the yeast, typically around 65 or so and I have never done any fining. As I understand it, when I keg it I have to drop the temp to mid 30's and leave it be for a few weeks as well. I really appreciate your reply so if I am asking a stupid question I apologize.
Yeah, dude. No stupid questions. We all had the same question(s) before our first lagers... here goes.

Mash temp. Just know that a higher mash temp results in longer sugars that are harder to convert and you will end up with a higher FG and sweeter beer. Lower mash temp with result in most all of the sugars converted and you'll end up dryer.

Since I like to keep this one slightly sweet, I'll aim for strike water about 166°. That'll give me a mash temp of the mid to high 150s. I'll hold it here for an hour.

Boil. Nothing special here. Boil for an hour adding hops per the schedule.

Yeast. 34/70 is a very hardy yeast. You can go anywhere from low 50s, all the way up to room temp fermentation with no off flavors. I've always subscribed to high in the range for lager yeasts, and low for ale yeasts. So for this recipe, I cool to the low 70s, pitch one sachet of yeast, then put in my fermentation chamber set at 58°.

Fermenting temps/times. I let this ride for two weeks. After two weeks, I raise the temp to the 70s for a few days to help finish up any fermentation. I usually do this by just taking the fermenter out of the fridge.

After a few days, I put it back in the fridge and start slowly lowering the temp to the low 30s. I do this by dropping the temp a few degrees a day until I get to ~34°. Once it is at this lagering temperature, leave it here for one month (up to a few months if you want, but not needed). The slow decrease helps not to shock the yeast into flocculating and dropping out of solution (cold crashing).

Fining. After a month has past, it's time to clear. I do this 3 days before I want to keg. Get yourself some powdered unflavored gelatin. Fill a measuring cup with about 1/2 - 3/4 cup water. Stir in 1 tsp of gelatin per 5 galloons of beer and heat in the microwave. Your temp goal here is about 150°. Hot enough to dissolve the gelatin, but not too hot to make jello. I like to do this in about 20 second bursts, stirring in between with an instant read thermometer.

Pour this into the fermenter right away. Be mindful not to splash and definitely don't stir. Just pour it distributed around the surface and it will do its job. Don't worry about the temp difference, it won't heat the beer at all.

Let the beer sit for another 3 days, then keg. Carb it how you normally do and enjoy!

Impatient rapid lager 'I want beer now' mode: After fermentation is complete, forgo the long lagering period by dropping the temp to 34°, wait 2 days, add gelatin, wait 2 days, keg, and drink. It can finish lagering in the keg while on tap. You can now taste the difference between a lager and a lagered lager the longer it sits.

Link to gelatin --> LINK

Awesome. thanks folks. I like that it is a fairly easy brew to do as I have not done any lagers to date. I tried a Helles and really enjoyed it, so I want to give it a go. This will for sure be on my list to try soon.
Lagers are super easy. Only a couple more steps and additional time is invested. Just don't overthink it.

Yeah, dude. No stupid questions. We all had the same question(s) before our first lagers... here goes.

Mash temp. Just know that a higher mash temp results in longer sugars that are harder to convert and you will end up with a higher FG and sweeter beer. Lower mash temp with result in most all of the sugars converted and you'll end up dryer.

Since I like to keep this one slightly sweet, I'll aim for strike water about 166°. That'll give me a mash temp of the mid to high 150s. I'll hold it here for an hour.

Boil. Nothing special here. Boil for an hour adding hops per the schedule.

Yeast. 34/70 is a very hardy yeast. You can go anywhere from low 50s, all the way up to room temp fermentation with no off flavors. I've always subscribed to high in the range for lager yeasts, and low for ale yeasts. So for this recipe, I cool to the low 70s, pitch one sachet of yeast, then put in my fermentation chamber set at 58°.

Fermenting temps/times. I let this ride for two weeks. After two weeks, I raise the temp to the 70s for a few days to help finish up any fermentation. I usually do this by just taking the fermenter out of the fridge.

After a few days, I put it back in the fridge and start slowly lowering the temp to the low 30s. I do this by dropping the temp a few degrees a day until I get to ~34°. Once it is at this lagering temperature, leave it here for one month (up to a few months if you want, but not needed). The slow decrease helps not to shock the yeast into flocculating and dropping out of solution (cold crashing).

Fining. After a month has past, it's time to clear. I do this 3 days before I want to keg. Get yourself some powdered unflavored gelatin. Fill a measuring cup with about 1/2 - 3/4 cup water. Stir in 1 tsp of gelatin per 5 galloons of beer and heat in the microwave. Your temp goal here is about 150°. Hot enough to dissolve the gelatin, but not too hot to make jello. I like to do this in about 20 second bursts, stirring in between with an instant read thermometer.

Pour this into the fermenter right away. Be mindful not to splash and definitely don't stir. Just pour it distributed around the surface and it will do its job. Don't worry about the temp difference, it won't heat the beer at all.

Let the beer sit for another 3 days, then keg. Carb it how you normally do and enjoy!

Impatient rapid lager 'I want beer now' mode: After fermentation is complete, forgo the long lagering period by dropping the temp to 34°, wait 2 days, add gelatin, wait 2 days, keg, and drink. It can finish lagering in the keg while on tap. You can now taste the difference between a lager and a lagered lager the longer it sits.

Link to gelatin --> LINK
Awesome. Thank you so much. Going to print this and put it with my notes.

I use this recipe often and it’s a great beer. I use 34/70 yeast. Scale to your desired batch size and you’re golden.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/biermunchers-“helles-belles”-munich-helles-ag.48985/
It looks like this.View attachment 835727

Edit: I lower the mash temp closer to 150° and I also only boil for 60 minutes and adjust the hop schedule to maintain the same IBUs.
Yeah, I agree, it's an oldie but a goodie. I've brewed it a number of times, and it really scratches an itch for me. It hasn't done all that well in competitions however. I think it says more about the lack of appreciation in Americans for a good Helles (too deep into hazes of all manner). To me it's just like what I used to drink in the summer down by the Marienplatz in Munich.

As most everyone has covered, the magic of a good Helles is its simplicity.

That said, the one thing that took my Helles from "blah" to "BLAM!" was good water. In my case going from attempting to treat stupidly hard water to RO. The flavors of this beer just don't shine if your starting water has 400+ TDS.

As most everyone has covered, the magic of a good Helles is its simplicity.

That said, the one thing that took my Helles from "blah" to "BLAM!" was good water. In my case going from attempting to treat stupidly hard water to RO. The flavors of this beer just don't shine if your starting water has 400+ TDS.
Absolutely! Every year I enter at least one German varietal beer for entry into competition. Although I've chemically treated my brewing water for quite a while, it wasn't until I started using RO/distilled water and building to a proper profile, as opposed to just throwing 'chemistry' at my source water and hoping that something worked, that my beers and scores starting improving. This year I snagged Blue Ribbons in both Kolsch and Alt entries, willing to try equally to please (or offend) both Dusseldorfers AND Kolners!

Next year it'll be Dortmunders and Frankfurters. Somewhere in there I'll summon my courage to enter another Helles.

This style has taken me ages to nail. Bready, cracker, "low to mediumish" malt & noble aroma, mid palate sweetness, round creamy mouthfeel and finishes dry. This simple style is extremely hard to pull off repeatedly.

Helles über alles

16 IBU's

45.5% pils
45.5% pale malt
5% munich 10°L
4% carafoam
Sub Acidulated for pils as needed

16 IBU's Hallertau Tradition 50/50 FWH & 60 min boil addition

Mash minimum gelatinization point of the 2 palest base malts for at least 70 minutes and raise to 163°F for 15 minutes before mashout.

1 drop clearzyme per liter. Preferably ferment under pressure with desired lager yeast. 2nd gen pitch should rise to 25 psi+ in under 12 hours, adjust spunding valve after high kräusen to desired pressure for what the temperature will be when transfered to the keg. 10 ml biofine at kegging. Should be amazing and clear at 14 days and peak under 28 days from its birthday. Enjoy this simple, low gravity style quickly... it doesn't benefit from long lagering. Most excellent examples are sterile filtered and packaged in under 4 weeks, so don't wait around for greatness. Cheers 🍺

This style has taken me ages to nail. Bready, cracker, "low to mediumish" malt & noble aroma, mid palate sweetness, round creamy mouthfeel and finishes dry. This simple style is extremely hard to pull off repeatedly.

Helles über alles

16 IBU's

45.5% pils
45.5% pale malt
5% munich 10°L
4% carafoam
Sub Acidulated for pils as needed

16 IBU's Hallertau Tradition 50/50 FWH & 60 min boil addition

Mash minimum gelatinization point of the 2 palest base malts for at least 70 minutes and raise to 163°F for 15 minutes before mashout.

1 drop clearzyme per liter. Preferably ferment under pressure with desired lager yeast. 2nd gen pitch should rise to 25 psi+ in under 12 hours, adjust spunding valve after high kräusen to desired pressure for what the temperature will be when transfered to the keg. 10 ml biofine at kegging. Should be amazing and clear at 14 days and peak under 28 days from its birthday. Enjoy this simple, low gravity style quickly... it doesn't benefit from long lagering. Most excellent examples are sterile filtered and packaged in under 4 weeks, so don't wait around for greatness. Cheers 🍺
Now this is a very interesting recipe, and especially intriguing approach to the fermentation. Two questions: is the 163F rest sufficient for both maltriose/dextrins and mash out; and, why do you pressurize to nearly 2 BAR initially and then reduce to spund at the targeted carbonation?

Two BAR is really close to maximum tank pressure for most home unitanks, and is a lot higher than the pressures I’ve seen for most descriptions of fermentation under pressure. I’ve got a couple of purpose-built kegmenters that could safely take 2 BAR, but I’d hate to take my unitank that high.

I’m interested in trying both your recipe and process, but just want to verify the numbers. Sounds like a winner of a Helles. For the 50% pale malt, would you recommend German 2 row pale malt? I’ve got some leftover Weyermann Kolsch malt that seems like it might work well.

Now this is a very interesting recipe, and especially intriguing approach to the fermentation. Two questions: is the 163F rest sufficient for both maltriose/dextrins and mash out; and, why do you pressurize to nearly 2 BAR initially and then reduce to spund at the targeted carbonation?

Two BAR is really close to maximum tank pressure for most home unitanks, and is a lot higher than the pressures I’ve seen for most descriptions of fermentation under pressure. I’ve got a couple of purpose-built kegmenters that could safely take 2 BAR, but I’d hate to take my unitank that high.

I’m interested in trying both your recipe and process, but just want to verify the numbers. Sounds like a winner of a Helles. For the 50% pale malt, would you recommend German 2 row pale malt? I’ve got some leftover Weyermann Kolsch malt that seems like it might work well.
My intentionally slow ramp to 163°F for the glycoprotein rest is sufficient for alpha amylase activities and to capitalize on the Carafoam in the recipe for a dense long lasting foam in the glass.

I will let lager yeast naturally build pressure to up to 32 psi and then slowly start backing off to 2.5 vols as I'm reaching kegging temperature. You of course don't need to go above 15 psi, but I really love the results of high pressure and the yeast doesn't mind at all. Once kegged, I slowly bring the yeast in the fermenter down to 0 psi over about 12 hours with an old leaky spunding valve for harvest or repitch. (I use only all rounders and I think they absolutely fantastic and cheap as chips)

I have never used Kölsch malt, but it looks like it will be a great substitute and quite similar in color. I like Maris Otter and Carolina Gold from Carolina Malt House, but I think any flavorful pale malt will work great. Using only Pils malt lacks depth for my taste with this style, but of course that's subjective. Since you know your Kölsch malt, you may want to use a different percentage in the blend.

My intentionally slow ramp to 163°F for the glycoprotein rest is sufficient for alpha amylase activities and to capitalize on the Carafoam in the recipe for a dense long lasting foam in the glass.

I will let lager yeast naturally build pressure to up to 32 psi and then slowly start backing off to 2.5 vols as I'm reaching kegging temperature. You of course don't need to go above 15 psi, but I really love the results of high pressure and the yeast doesn't mind at all. Once kegged, I slowly bring the yeast in the fermenter down to 0 psi over about 12 hours with an old leaky spunding valve for harvest or repitch. (I use only all rounders and I think they absolutely fantastic and cheap as chips)

I have never used Kölsch malt, but it looks like it will be a great substitute and quite similar in color. I like Maris Otter and Carolina Gold from Carolina Malt House, but I think any flavorful pale malt will work great. Using only Pils malt lacks depth for my taste with this style, but of course that's subjective. Since you know your Kölsch malt, you may want to use a different percentage in the blend.
Just spent the last hour loading into BeerSmith. Thanks for the explanation and notes on process. This one just moved up to #3 on the To Do list. Many thanks!

Latest posts

Back