Recipe for someone who does not like beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernoob88

Reaction score
So, my gf does not like beer at all. She can tolerate sours that are super fruity. She is the kind of girl who likes fruit wines that are not dry.
I have a sour recipe I am making next weekend. but I'm looking for some other ideas.
I also have a cider fermenting as well.

Any ideas would be great. :)

Thanks

Search the recipe drop down on the static bar above for a English mild with a fruity yeast. The ones that fit the bill have inverted sugar added, but that's another rabbit hole..... but good leaning too! Search this section for NEIPA -some of the new yeasts are crazy fruity, although a bit hazy.

shoefferhoffer grapefruit is the most soda like beer i have drank and i kind of like it. swimbo loves it. its only 2.5 percent and very crushable. the problem is i have heard its tough to clone. i think your best bet is prolly mixing a wheat beer 50/50 with a decent grapefruit soda . this will cut the alcohol and add the grapefruit flavor.

one of these
https://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/non-alcoholic/article/grapefruit-soda-taste-test

proly the jarritos would work if you cant get the others

getting a good soda is key as most of them taste like junk.

and the other shoefferhoffer flavors are crap and dont mix well with wheat beer .

I would do a English bitter and use some fruity New Zealand hops and apply the apricot dominant Verdant IPA yeast. -Not to high ABV so not overly malty. Maybe 1.049 OG.
Maybe 25 IBU as not to make her sneeze on hops.
Verdant has medium attenuation, so mash medium say 152F, that way it'll be some malt and *not dry.*
Many ways to get fruit without adding actual fruit.
Go light on the caramel malts, for some reason Verdant don't attenuate fully with them.
No oats or wheat so it'll be thin like wine.
Bet she'd like that!

Maybe
95% Amarikin pils
5% Amarikin Munich 5L

Sort of a "Blond" ale in English style, if you'll pardon the moniker!

Get a Perry kit, or look up “Making a good thing better” cider recipe. Make sure to use the original hops, citra and Amarillo.

I would do a English bitter and use some fruity New Zealand hops and apply the apricot dominant Verdant IPA yeast. -Not to high ABV so not overly malty. Maybe 1.049 OG.
That OG is way above anything you'd see on a typical British pub bar, it's not the low ABV you think it is....
So, my gf does not like beer at all. She can tolerate sours that are super fruity. She is the kind of girl who likes fruit wines that are not dry.
Having been in a somewhat similar position, my experience is that in general people who "don't like beer" have a problem with bitterness. So avoid styles where the bitterness is obvious, but it's OK if there is some buried under malt or fruit flavours. My missus didn't drink beer before meeting me, she now is OK with NEIPAs but what she's really got into is porters, either classics like Fuller's or the fruit ones like Titanic Plum Porter. Things like Mackeson milk stout also work for her, but it's the porters that have really become her thing. So try some commercial beers in that direction on her before committing to brewing your own.

There's a recipe on here for a Margarita Gose that is really good. I've been upping the lime, and will probably cut back the coriander to .75oz next time I do it.

Berliner Weiss served on syrup fits the bill.

Long Island Iced Tea is amazing. But I am wanting to make a drink for her that is not some mixed drink. :)

I actually have this Recipe that I am trying on Saturday.

Title: Fruit Sour

Brew Method: BIAB
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (ending kettle volume)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.007
ABV (standard): 6.21%
IBU (tinseth): 14.86
SRM (morey): 5.56
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - North Star Pils (38.6%)
1 lb - Vienna (9.6%)
4 lb - Flaked Wheat (38.6%)
4 oz - Acidulated Malt (2.4%)
2 oz - Special B (1.2%)
1 lb - Corn Sugar (9.6%)

HOPS:
1.15 oz - Crystal, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.3, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 14.86

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 5 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil
4 lb - raspberries, Time: 7200 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Primary

YEAST:
Lallemand - WildBrew Philly Sour

HOPS:
1.15 oz - Crystal, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.3, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 14.86
My wife hates beer. :confused: It's the hops. She tried a fruited sour with no hops in it once and thought it was ok. So if the GF does not like beer because of the hops, better find something you can make without hops.

She can tolerate sours that are super fruity.
Buy her a bottle of Lindeman's Framboise or Delirium Red. If she doesn't actually LIKE those, then I would give up. In all seriousness, if she only tolerates super fruity sours then you're probably wasting your time. Try making her a sweet-ish cider instead.

Back