What is your favorite DRY RUB??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I normally use Northwoods Fire from Penzey's Spices.
Great flavor, nice kick to it,
I use it on ribs and brisket. usually with some brown sugar on the ribs, mustard spread on the brisket.
Chicken I don't usually use that. I have a brine that I use, and a sprinkle of herbs.

Bad Byron's for Pulled Pork. SPOG for Brisket. Penzy Galena St for ribs.

I went with
1/10 old bay
1/10 slap yo mama
1/10 ancho powder
1/10 salt
1/10 garlic powder
1/10 onion powder
1/10 sugar
1/10 zatarain's crawfish boil
1/10 Kroger creole
1/10 hungarian paprika

AWESOME on the ribs.

2 kids mutineed and wanted sauce......

I took Sweet Bby Ray's sweet&spicy, added:

1 cup coffee
2 tbsp chinese mustard
2 tbsp honey
garlic and onion powder
1 tbsp sugar

The sauce was so good, I actually dipped a few of my immaculate rib bits in it.

A favorite of mine is putting a steakhouse rub on a fresh tuna steak, then searing it. Still cold raw in the middle; it comes out somewhere between the best NY strip you ever had and the best sushi you ever had. I use the Chicago steakhouse rub from Hannafords, sea salt, cracked pepper, dried onion, garlic, a bunch of other stuff. Good and fast, really tasty.

I freakin LOVE Slap yo Mamma! Great seasoning. And cheap ass Fiesta brisket rub is what i use all the time with Swamp Fire and Slap to spice things up

A favorite of mine is putting a steakhouse rub on a fresh tuna steak, then searing it. Still cold raw in the middle; it comes out somewhere between the best NY strip you ever had and the best sushi you ever had. I use the Chicago steakhouse rub from Hannafords, sea salt, cracked pepper, dried onion, garlic, a bunch of other stuff. Good and fast, really tasty.

8 years or so ago, the fam and I were in Gulf Shores in a condo highrise, shared grills.

We waited behind 4 nice redneck guys all cooking well done steaks.

We threw the heavily seasoned tuna on after they were done.

One guy in particular seemed interested in our "steaks".

I told him tuna was the steak of the fish kingdom, and even got him to try some.

Last day we ended up at the grill right after them again. He had some rare Tuna even though his buddies still insisted on ruining some beef.

Awesome!

Yep - rub those tuna steaks and sear them on a blazing hot skillet or grill. 30 seconds at most per side. I do the same with intact cuts of beef too. Once that outer 1/4" inch or so is done you're ready to eat.

Steak Tartare is excellent but I wouldn't risk it with ground meat from the supermarket. Who knows where that has been and how long it has taken to travel to your market? Had pork Mett in Germany - excellent. I wouldn't trust it unless I actually knew the butcher that prepared it. It's a shame that we're so far removed from our food in the U.S.

Yep - rub those tuna steaks and sear them on a blazing hot skillet or grill. 30 seconds at most per side. I do the same with intact cuts of beef too. Once that outer 1/4" inch or so is done you're ready to eat.

Steak Tartare is excellent but I wouldn't risk it with ground meat from the supermarket. Who knows where that has been and how long it has taken to travel to your market? Had pork Mett in Germany - excellent. I wouldn't trust it unless I actually knew the butcher that prepared it. It's a shame that we're so far removed from our food in the U.S.

You don't need to be TC... There is a farmer in foxboro that sells GF beef. There are a few pig farmers in Rehoboth too.

RUB is too expensive; I make my own with what I have in my cabinet for much cheaper; I will say a few times I've bought rub as I was in a hurry and out of my typical spices I use and it did open me up to some new flavor profiles. One had ground coffee in it and I used it on beef; it below me away!

The ground coffee on beef concept is not unfamiliar to me however for some reason i have yet to try it. I have no idea why not...

Pork: garlic, caraway, pepper, juniper berries.
Beef: garlic, coriander, pepper.
Plus salt, obviously.

The ground coffee on beef concept is not unfamiliar to me however for some reason i have yet to try it. I have no idea why not...

I have marinated steak in coffee, which comes out good. Out and out grounds sound too strong.

RUB is too expensive; I make my own with what I have in my cabinet for much cheaper; I will say a few times I've bought rub as I was in a hurry and out of my typical spices I use and it did open me up to some new flavor profiles. One had ground coffee in it and I used it on beef; it below me away!

I have a few storebought blends on hand...

CAVENDER'S GREEK - I have tried to re-creat or improve.....why re-invent the wheel?

OLD BAY - Fantastic on most anything

SLAP YO MAMA - SOLID spicy cajun goodness

.....But for the most part I make my own from scratch, or augment one or more of these.

Ive tried a ton but its tough to beat a simple 21 rub.

2 parts course salt (i prefer sea salt but most folks would prob go Kosher)
1 part everything else you have.

Fresh Course black Pepper (I over add)
Cumin
Paprika
Cayenne
Chili Powder
Granulated Onion
Granulated Garlic

I personally like a little mixed Italian herb seasoning as well and some white pepper. If I am doing pork I will add some brown sugar. If its beef, no sugar.

If its deer, I take the same dry rub and blend it in olive oil and get it wetter than a paste, more like a thick marinade. Deer is so lean it really could use the fat in the EVOO to help it along. Makes awesome kabobs.

Ive tried a ton but its tough to beat a simple 21 rub.

2 parts course salt (i prefer sea salt but most folks would prob go Kosher)
1 part everything else you have.

Fresh Course black Pepper (I over add)
Cumin
Paprika
Cayenne
Chili Powder
Granulated Onion
Granulated Garlic

I personally like a little mixed Italian herb seasoning as well and some white pepper. If I am doing pork I will add some brown sugar. If its beef, no sugar.

If its deer, I take the same dry rub and blend it in olive oil and get it wetter than a paste, more like a thick marinade. Deer is so lean it really could use the fat in the EVOO to help it along. Makes awesome kabobs.

This is reminiscent of an Alton Brown "Good Eats" episode where he makes baby back ribs in his oven, and makes his own rub. He details a ratio of ingredients similar to what you have prescribed. I have a book, forget the title, but its by some BBQ guru dude and he details making your own rubs, sauces, etc.

Don't forget a little brown sugar if you're doing a BBQ slow and low cook. High temps, the Paprika can burn. my 2¢

TD

I have marinated steak in coffee, which comes out good. Out and out grounds sound too strong.

I have a few storebought blends on hand...

CAVENDER'S GREEK - I have tried to re-creat or improve.....why re-invent the wheel?

OLD BAY - Fantastic on most anything

SLAP YO MAMA - SOLID spicy cajun goodness

.....But for the most part I make my own from scratch, or augment one or more of these.

If you like Old Bay, see if you can find JO near you. I prefer it for seafood and way prefer it when cooking crabs. Trust me, I'm from MD (southern MD on the chesapeake at that).

JO Spices

If you like Old Bay, see if you can find JO near you. I prefer it for seafood and way prefer it when cooking crabs. Trust me, I'm from MD (southern MD on the chesapeake at that).

JO Spices

LOVE hearing about something new!!!!!

:mug:

Without trying it I will say this....:

Hardly anything is ALWAYS better. Most times JO may be better, but after 4-5 times, a batch of peel and eat with old bay will be surprisingly good ;)

THAT said.....

I have a giant tub of Zatarain's crab and shrimp boil I bought before I noticed it has a bunch of MSG....I am talking an effing gallon of the stuff, lol. I put a pinch in things here and there.

LOVE hearing about something new!!!!!

:mug:

Without trying it I will say this....:

Hardly anything is ALWAYS better. Most times JO may be better, but after 4-5 times, a batch of peel and eat with old bay will be surprisingly good ;)

THAT said.....

I have a giant tub of Zatarain's crab and shrimp boil I bought before I noticed it has a bunch of MSG....I am talking an effing gallon of the stuff, lol. I put a pinch in things here and there.

A little here... a little there... a pinch tossed over a shoulder... that sort of thing?

A little here... a little there... a pinch tossed over a shoulder... that sort of thing?

Nah I hate seasoned socks! ;) Never over the shoulder.

More like this....

I went with
1/10 old bay
1/10 slap yo mama
1/10 ancho powder
1/10 salt
1/10 garlic powder
1/10 onion powder
1/10 sugar
1/10 zatarain's crawfish boil
1/10 Kroger creole
1/10 hungarian paprika

AWESOME on the ribs..................

I'm a big fan of Pappy's. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best Tri-Tip seasoning you can get, especially if you add some sugar to it. I've used it on Ribs and Brisket with success too. They're located in Santa Maria, CA I believe, so you likely would have to buy it from their website.

It depends on the meat. For poultry I like Shaking the Tree by Dizzy Pig. For most BBQ cooks I make rubs from the recipes in the Smoke and Spice cook book.

I have become SERIOUSLY enamored of the following for chicken or shrimp...(italianish)

1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp salt
tiny sprinkle of nutmeg

Blitz it all in a spice grinder into a powder.

It is also great sprinkled over evoo for a pizza crust dip.

I like to use this rub for pork and beef. I have yet to try the injection he has posted on the web page as well. If anyone has tried it, or a different version let me know the difference with and without it. I also like to use Montreal Chicken Seasoning for smoked poultry. This is a nice thread, with a lot of rubs worth checking out. It also made my mouth water!

This is my rub recipe, It's been tweaked a few times for my liking.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Hungarian smoked paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

I have yet to use the Hungarian, I am going to order some online.
Currently using McCormick smoked paprika.

I'm not sure where to start. I make so many different ones,depending on the meat. and what's in the pantry. It also depends on what it's being served on/ with as well. For a full BBQ dinner,pork gets something like Sea salt,pepper,red pepper, sage,onion & garlic powder,more onion powder than garlic,Chili powder or hot hungarian paprika. Ribs will get something like one would find in memphis. Basically a lightly spicy rub with brown sugar. I have more,just gotta think on it after pit BBQ'd steak,hash browns & sweet onion/mushroom sauce with ESB reduction.

I make my own . Never the same really . Some cajun seasoning , minced garlic , McCormick perfect pinch garlic and herb , Ms Dash salt free maybe some basil and caraway seed . good for everything .

I recommend everyone here check out amazingribs.com. His site is my number 1 resource for all things grilling.

Memphis Dustl is what we use for all types of BBQ and smoed beef/pork/chicken. We even use it as a rim on cocktail glasses for things like bloody marys and salty dogs.

Back