Turpentine for Keg Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would tell of my continuing adventures in keg cleaning. I have a good system now.

Now that I have a Bucket Blaster, the insides of kegs bend to my will easily, but the outsides of used kegs are another matter. I came up with two things that worked, after messing with various solvents and other ideas.

First, a steam cleaner does a good job getting tough plastic stickers off. You steam a little and peel a little. It will also soften the glue residue so you can rub it off, but it's not the best thing for it.

Second, turpentine. This turned out to be the best solvent I found. I didn't try absolutely everything. I didn't fool with MEK or naptha, for example. But I tried a few things, and turpentine was way better than anything else. It beat Goo Gone, acetone, WD40, and mineral spirits, to name some contenders.

I put a little on a paper towel and rub sticky areas with it. It takes about 5 minutes to finish a keg, but it will get all the tape and sticker residue off. It's easy, but you can't rush it. The solvent softens a little layer, the paper towel rubs it off and exposes another layer, the solvent softens that, and so on.

It will also melt the rubber on the ends of the keg, but that's a bonus. If you use a paper towel and a very small amount of turpentine on these parts, it will remove the cruddy top layer of rubber and leave a smooth, relatively shiny layer behind.

Third thing, as people here have predicted, Bar Keepers Friend really grinds off oxidation, or whatever that grey and black stuff is, once the goo is out of the way. Takes like 10 seconds per keg.

Not claiming my way is best, but it definitely works without struggle or scratching kegs.

Well, I wrote all that, and then I went after a keg that didn't respond well to Bar Keepers Friend. Must have special crud on it. Still looks better than it did, though.

I found a hot air gun makes sticker removal easy, then Goo Gone to remove any sticky residue.
As for polishing, I did that to one keg just to see if I could (a rather long process) and it came out great but I wasn't inclined to do it again...

Cheers!

I found a hot air gun makes sticker removal easy, then Goo Gone to remove any sticky residue.
As for polishing, I did that to one keg just to see if I could (a rather long process) and it came out great but I wasn't inclined to do it again...

Cheers!
When I said polishing a keg was quick, I should have added that my standards are not very high. I'm just getting rid of the black grime and little rusty bits. And I guess it takes me more like 30 seconds than 10.

For me, turpentine was much better than Goo Gone.

I thought you would say you used turpentine for cleaning the inside of the keg 😅.
That would likely leave all sorts of nasty residue...
I'd be willing to be 75 cents it would taste better than you think. A little turpentine residue would add a pine aroma. And turpentine doesn't really taste bad.

A long time ago in Greece, I had retsina, and although it sounds disgusting, it was very good the way they served it.

Try charcoal lighter fluid. Works great on sticky stuff, and evaporateds quickly.

Back