My Smoke Vault Propane smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Reading the thread about smoking has me all fired up to get my old smoker out of the shed and start using it again. So, I pull it out, uncover it, and be darned of the hinges are not stuck. WD40 and Liquid Wrench be damned I got it open. Inside, well it was pretty bad. I had my wife look at it, she said a hard clean with some oven cleaner should take care of most of it, and soak the grates in soap and water. So, next weeks vacation will be spent cleaning the old cabinet. I did fire it up and it worked well, so I know the burner and smoke tray are ok. I was looking at Offsets but gonna ride the propane one out until either the door falls off or a great deal on something newer comes up. Either way, I am going to be trolling thread to see what kind of rubs and bbq sauces you all use. Rock On!!!!!!!

I built my own smoker years ago, and I was pretty proud of it. Then I got a Smokin-It and learned how the other half lived. So much better. Last week I got an Inkbird wifi thermometer, and it's fantastic. Bluetooth thermometers are worthless.

I've used something like PBW to clean my smoker, and it works. A steam cleaner is also good. A lot of the hardware comes off and goes in the dishwasher.

I'll post my dry rub. It's fantastic for butts and spare ribs. No promises for other meats. You don't want to cake it on. You should be able to see through it. When I apply it, I put the meat on a bath towel, and I use a dredge, which is like a big salt shaker. Then I shake the towel off outdoors and throw it in the washer. Keeps the rub off the floor and counters.

I think everyone's basic rub is pretty much the same, just like everyone's secret jerky marinade. Some people think I should use brown sugar instead of white sugar, but they are mistaken. It's not as good.

The other day I got really nice results by salting a butt, leaving it in the fridge for a day, and then making the rub without salt. Someone has suggested I make the rub up normally and apply it the day before instead of just salt. I haven't tried it.

My smoker is electric and doesn't make a smoke ring. This means nothing as far as taste goes, but a smoke ring looks nice. I have been advised to add pink curing salt to the rub to create a fake ring.

I like soaking pork in Jim Beam or Jack Daniel's before smoking it. I think Jack Daniel's is low-grade liquor, but the harsh flavor is good for cooking.

INGREDIENTS

3 tablespoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon salt (may use 2 if it really seems necessary)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon chipotle powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder

I built my own smoker years ago, and I was pretty proud of it. Then I got a Smokin-It and learned how the other half lived. So much better. Last week I got an Inkbird wifi thermometer, and it's fantastic. Bluetooth thermometers are worthless.

I've used something like PBW to clean my smoker, and it works. A steam cleaner is also good. A lot of the hardware comes off and goes in the dishwasher.

I'll post my dry rub. It's fantastic for butts and spare ribs. No promises for other meats. You don't want to cake it on. You should be able to see through it. When I apply it, I put the meat on a bath towel, and I use a dredge, which is like a big salt shaker. Then I shake the towel off outdoors and throw it in the washer. Keeps the rub off the floor and counters.

I think everyone's basic rub is pretty much the same, just like everyone's secret jerky marinade. Some people think I should use brown sugar instead of white sugar, but they are mistaken. It's not as good.

The other day I got really nice results by salting a butt, leaving it in the fridge for a day, and then making the rub without salt. Someone has suggested I make the rub up normally and apply it the day before instead of just salt. I haven't tried it.

My smoker is electric and doesn't make a smoke ring. This means nothing as far as taste goes, but a smoke ring looks nice. I have been advised to add pink curing salt to the rub to create a fake ring.

I like soaking pork in Jim Beam or Jack Daniel's before smoking it. I think Jack Daniel's is low-grade liquor, but the harsh flavor is good for cooking.

INGREDIENTS

3 tablespoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon salt (may use 2 if it really seems necessary)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon chipotle powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Awesome. Thanks. I will print it and add it to my file of rub recipes. I am going to do something simple with it once I clean it to make sure it still does what it is supposed to do. Then, who knows. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!

Nice, fire it up... I have a master built upright and I love the simplicity of it. If I were you I'd do a dry run to season it some, then throw a pork butt in there, simple and fairly cheap cut, plus the low slow and long timeframe will help season the smoker more and give it a good test.

Smoke on!!!

I have a Smoken-It model 2 that I run with an Auber wifi controller. To be honest, the old offset Charbroil made much better food but need my attention every hour. I think the compromise in food quality for stepping away for the entire cook is probably reasonable.

I like the Smokin-It because it correctly uses burning, not smoldering, wood. A lot of people think dark smoke is the way to go, because they've gotten used to the bitter taste of creosote. I used to believe the people who threw water on their wood and turned their meat black, but now I understand that the tingling and medicinal taste were flaws.

I also like the insulation. The old smoker pushed a 15-amp circuit to the very limit.

I can't cold-smoke anything, though.

I welded a separate fire box together for my old smoker, and I plumbed the smoke in through a huge steel conduit elbow. Very little heat came in with the smoke.

I cold smoke in the Smokin-It by inserting the biggest pan I could fit of crushed ice and water on a shelf between the smoke box and shelf of cheese or whatever. Get the smoke going good, then insert the ice/pan for 5 minutes, then put the object on the top shelf to be smoked.

Honestly, I don't get that clear blue smoke in this thing that I can get on the offset. I think it does mostly smolder (not wet wood at all).

That's a great tip about cold smoking.

The only time I had bad smoke in the Smokin-It, it turned out the vent holes were clogged. I think they should be bigger.

To be honest, the old offset Charbroil made much better food but need my attention every hour.
I love my offset Char-Griller. The need for constant attention is a feature not a bug as long as you recognize it as an opportunity to spend twelve hours smoking cigars and drinking beer and/or bourbon.

I got a big green egg for Christmas. If you mix chips in with the lump charcoal, it's basically set it and forget it for at least 12 hours at 275F. But where's the fun in that?

I love my offset Char-Griller. The need for constant attention is a feature not a bug as long as you recognize it as an opportunity to spend twelve hours smoking cigars and drinking beer and/or bourbon.

I got a big green egg for Christmas. If you mix chips in with the lump charcoal, it's basically set it and forget it for at least 12 hours at 275F. But where's the fun in that?
I've had 20 pounds of pork butt in the Smokin-It for 24 hours low and slow and I would never be able to do that on the offset. I need my beauty sleep.

The egg also saves me from the 12 hours of work. No electricity required. I've only smoked on it a few times, but I'm pretty sure it could go for 24 hours at 225. I never would have bought one for myself though.

That's another great thing about the egg. I've done three low and slow smokes and a half of dozen regular grill sessions and I haven't had to clean it out yet. Still on my first bag of lump charcoal too. The ability of this thing to retain heat is absolutely phenomenal.

I've cold-smoked a lot of cheese in my Smokin'-it #2. It's awsome.

At first I used their cold-smoke tray (an insulated tray) with a big pan of ice on top .
Lately I've simply been smoking outside the smoker, putting a cardboard box over the vent, spaced off the smoker top by 3/4", and letting 'er rip. No more worries about the cheese getting too hot.

That's another great thing about the egg. I've done three low and slow smokes and a half of dozen regular grill sessions and I haven't had to clean it out yet. Still on my first bag of lump charcoal too. The ability of this thing to retain heat is absolutely phenomenal.
I've had my large BGE for 10+ years. the only overnight cook that failed was early on when the fire channeled through to the bottom and failed to spread across the top of the bed of lump. I learned that I had to light the lump in several places--I generally light in a 12-3-6-9 o'clock pattern a few inches in from the perimeter, then in the middle. I use a MAPP torch, which I discovered works fine for lighting charcoal using 1-lb propane tanks rather than the more expensive MAPP gas.

I lay chunks of smoking wood on the 5 areas where I light the charcoal.

I generally just rake the ash out of the ash door with the BGE raking tool, but every dozen or so uses I completely empty the unburned lump, remove the ceramic inserts, and vacuum all the ash. make sure the ash is not clogging the holes in the sides of the top ceramic insert.

I've never had to add lump to achieve a 24-hour low and slow.

I learned that BGE lump charcoal is made by Royal Oak, which is available lots of places and is priced reasonably.

Back