Two batches with off taste, bitter, overcarbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortal888

Reaction score
Ok, two batches in a row with this same problem. I haven't changed my brewing method and have been brewing for two years now with mini mash recipes.

When I open the bottle, half the contents foam out. What I can get into the glass has a bitter after taste and has more sediment than what went into the bottle. The longer the time in the bottle, the worse the result.

I sanitized fully, no cutting corners. The boil to the primary went smooth. Three weeks in the primary with temperatures between 68 and 75 degrees. Krausen looks good and tastes great out of the primary. One week in the secondary because I like to get the sediment out and I usually work on this on weekends. Bottled with bottles washed in hot water, then dunked in Brewvint Cleanitizer and left for at least 30 seconds each. Left in the bottles and tested from 3 weeks to 2 months.

I have hard water but use a water softener. Also, its never caused me trouble before.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on here?
Thanks

When I open the bottle, half the contents foam out. What I can get into the glass has a bitter after taste and has more sediment than what went into the bottle. The longer the time in the bottle, the worse the result.

This high intensity foam is almost always due to a bacterial infection. I get it in a bottle or two from time to time. It is characterized by tons of foam and tiny bubbles. Additionally it will make the beer have a bitter taste.
It sounds like your are doing the right things as far as sanitation is concerned but there may be a strain in your fermenters that manifests in the aging process. Dot you ferment in glass or plastic? If plastic it may be time for new buckets or and upgrade.

Check your gear,tubing. Anything the beer touches after the boil,bottleing stuff. If you havent replaced any tubing you may want to if youve had them 2 years. I dont put anything in my bottleing bucket like alot of people do.People like to sanitize in the bucket their equiment which could scratch it. Only thing that goes in my bottle bucket is beer,cleaner,sanitizer,soft cloth for cleaning it. Definatly dont store stuff in it either. Unless you have it full protected with a towel or something.

You say it tastes great out of the primary. But you only secondary for 1 week. Why not simply leave it in primary for the extra week? Every transfer is another opportunity for infection. As long as you leave the primary undisturbed it will settle out the same.

Are you sanitizing your bottle caps?

You say it tastes great out of the primary. But you only secondary for 1 week. Why not simply leave it in primary for the extra week? Every transfer is another opportunity for infection. As long as you leave the primary undisturbed it will settle out the same.

Are you sanitizing your bottle caps?

I have to agree with this, combined w/ previous post about possible infection in the fermenter. Likely it may manifest from the secondary. Often times it happens, for the next batch.. try a small all grain brew in a bag.. see if anything bad comes out in the primary.. bottle some 3-4 beers at this stage before transferring to secondary. Then let it age in secondary..

1. Try the beer from the primary
2. try the primary beer after 2 weeks in bottle
3. try it from secondary
4. try it from secondary bottles after 2 weeks

This can help figure out if there is an area specifically causing the issue. Like others have said as well could be coming from inside the tube. I give mine a good flush w/ super hot water after use, then dunk it in starsan.. let it site for a few seconds and poor it out.

I take my bottling equipment and hoses apart and soak it too. I can try replacing the tubing anyway though. I sanitize my bottle caps and reach for them out of the solution as I bottle.

I took my beer to the home brew shop and they immediately confirmed foreign yeast infection. I also let them know that my high gravity brews don't seem to have this problem and they said that the high alcohol content is most likely killing whatever is growing in my low gravity beers. They also said my water is bad and instructed me to buy a carboy of filtered water next time i brew and gave me a few other chemicals to put into it before I use it. Indeed, my area is well known for extremely hard water.

They said I'm doing two other things wrong....that I shouldn't leave the beer on the primary for more than two weeks and that I need to start using a bottle brush when cleaning my bottles. As I already wash them out three times with scalding hot water after use and then soak them in sanitizer, I'm starting to think bottling isn't going to be my thing and am considering a kegging system.

I've done this before and didn't like it as the sediment kept clogging my bottling nozzle. Was a real pain in the butt.

I do tend to sanitize things in my primary bucket and I'll check it for scratches when this next batch is out of the bucket. (really praying its something other than the primary as I have a $70 recipe in there right now.)

Its a plastic bucket and I've been using it for two years, so I'll get a new one of those too.

If the only off flavor you are tasting is bitterness and no others I'm more inclined to think you are simply over priming your batch

Infections would throw off other foul tasting flavors like sour or vinegar.

How are you priming and calculating your sugar addition? How long are the bottles being refrigerated for prior to opening?

If you are boiling all your water then your water may be fine. However I think from what Ive read that softened water is bad for brewing because its salty? Also a good filter should do you good. If its too hard then I would buy spring water. I usually go to the grocery store and refill gallon jugs.Sometimes using half spring water or adjusting straight ro water with brewing salts to the right ph mash. Alot of people would use some of their hard water(if it tastes good) and part ro water.

Also as noted make shure your not overpriming.And that your batch is done dropping gravity over the course of 3 days or so. A reason for not doing secondary is simply its a higher risk of infection-not to say you cant do it successfully if you manage sanitation well. In my experience letting it sit for 3-4 weeks and it clears pretty good and youd probably get a little lets sediment in the bottles. Although I often bottle after 2 weeks-only because it fits my brewing timeline rotation better.

Also make shure you aerate very well and pitch plenty of yeast from the beginning to overtake any potential invaders.

The only reason I do not secondary is just because you can just let it sit for a few more weeks or even cold crash it if you want. You just have to be carefull and not rack the trub in your bottleing bucket and thats not really very challenging if your holding the siphon and being carefull from not letting it touch the bottom. Also you dont want to be sloshing and moving around the carboy as to disturb the bottom at least without waiting a few more days and then racking to have it settle out if you do disturb the trub.

I have had two batches with similar results. Both were darker beers (one a moose drool clone and the other a porter) both mini-mash recipe kits from
the same supplier. Just curious what type of beer you had the problems with and where you got the ingredients.

Back