Bad wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slice

Reaction score
I made some Catawba wine. This is probably the 8th batch of wine I've made and this one didn't turn out good. Has a slight sour taste to it and I added pictures of the settling that is in the bottle. Can anyone provide any insight into what went wrong? I used campden tablets, I racked it a few times....my initial thought is I just didn't wait long enough for all of the sediment to make it's way to the bottom before bottling, but I'm still just learning.

Attachments

• IMG_20240213_192450423.jpg
    IMG_20240213_192450423.jpg
    761.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240213_192413614_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240213_192413614_HDR.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 0
Top pic looks a bit like a Scoby to me and you might be making vinegar from this batch. Not certain that is what it is but it is a possibility ot that or some other infection. I haven't seen sediment clump together like that. Is it in all of the bottles from that batch or a few?

What do you smell from the bottle? If you are getting a vinegar or acetone smell from the bottle it is a possible you picked up something along the way that grew.

A reused bottle can sometimes look clean, but may not have been rinsed well holding some bugs. If it is not in all the bottles, I am wagering that you may not have sanitized them well enough. If it is in every bottle in the batch it was likely picked up transfering or at bottling.

It may not have been your intention but it may not be a total loss. The white wine vinegar I was making was quite tasty and I used up quickly.

Top pic looks a bit like a Scoby to me and you might be making vinegar from this batch. Not certain that is what it is but it is a possibility ot that or some other infection. I haven't seen sediment clump together like that. Is it in all of the bottles from that batch or a few?

What do you smell from the bottle? If you are getting a vinegar or acetone smell from the bottle it is a possible you picked up something along the way that grew.

A reused bottle can sometimes look clean, but may not have been rinsed well holding some bugs. If it is not in all the bottles, I am wagering that you may not have sanitized them well enough. If it is in every bottle in the batch it was likely picked up transfering or at bottling.

It may not have been your intention but it may not be a total loss. The white wine vinegar I was making was quite tasty and I used up quickly.
It's in every bottle. I always clean and rinse bottles before use. For future reference is there anything I should have added to help prevent it?

I made some Catawba wine This is probably the 8th batch of wine I've made and this one didn't turn out good. Has a slight sour taste to it and I added pictures of the settling that is in the bottle. Can anyone provide any insight into what went wrong? I used campden tablets, I racked it a few times....my initial thought is I just didn't wait long enough for all of the sediment to make it's way to the bottom before bottling, but I'm still just learning.
My catawba turned out tart and had some sediment after 1 year and 2 rackings, I post sweetened with 2 cups of sugar before bottling, it looked clear at bottling, I should have hit it with bentonite prior to bottling. I won't make catawba again,

Back