Just tried my first ever home brew and it tasted great but had a slight bitter after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Keven

Reaction score
I finally tasted my first home brew using this starter kit: Saison de Noel Extract Beer Recipe Kit
It only called for 1 oz of magnum hops which I assume is a quite small amount of hops. The beer smells fantastic, classic Belgian dark fruit yeasty smelling beer. The taste follows the scent and I'm quite happy how it turned out, but the beer has a slight bitter/sour after taste. Its not too bad, the beer is still very tasty but is this a sign of infection, or is it more likely the beer hasn't bottle conditioned long enough? I did a primary for 2 weeks followed by 2 week secondary fermentation. The beer then bottle conditioned for 3 weeks. I've heard higher abv beers take longer to bottle condition, so will these flavors dissipate over time or is it potentially infected?

The small amount of hops control the bitterness of the beer and one ounce is likely the right amount. The combination of the high alcohol content (about 7%), the dark malts, and the saison yeast means that this beer will take more than 3 weeks of conditioning to reach its peak flavor. Even the notes on this beer as published by Northern Brewer suggest that as they tell you to stash some for later. While you wait for this beer to reach its peak flavor, brew a batch with lower alcohol, lighter in color, and with a different yeast as it will mature much faster.

Back