This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so, acknowledging it happened and honoring those who died is "commercializing" it?

someone owns a dicked-up dictionary

or has a grossly dicked-up view of the world. I guess a moment of silence on 9/11 is making a buck off those who were vaporized when the Towers fell
Odd. I just loaded the Google homepage, and there is an American Flag below the search bar. When you hover over that flag, the alt-text that displays says "Remembering Pearl Harbor, 75 Years Later"

That's pretty on par with most of what Google does...subtle. Yes, they do change their doodle for some events...but not all.

When my local homebrew store claims to be a home brew store but never has enough in stock of the most basic of ingredients; 2-row pale malt.
I want a 50lb sack.
They have to order it (from what ends up being northern brewer) then charges me for the shipping because it's considered a special order.

Stick a fork in my eye.

My mom was a real mean nasty woman. When she died, my toast to her by the bonfire with my siblings and spouses: yes we'll miss her, and we think that some where in there was a good heart. But we do know she's in heaven, cuz the devil doesn't like competition.

Mine still is and just turned 91, with no end in sight.

As someone who posts a lot on boards that have a majority of Americans and Brits, I've come to accept that cyclists have a terrible reputation in your countries.

As a dutch person living in finland, both countries have a good attitude, seperating infrastructure and more respect for eachother.

While cyclist break traffic laws, I also see the immense amount of drivers that speed, are on the phone, drive through red (scarlet green as my dad used to call it) and other such barely acknowledged traffic fouls.

A cyclist who breaks the rules, most likely only risks his own life, a driver can harm or kill others so much more easily.

(if you want to watch some outright terrible stuff, check out "canada's worst driver" especially the last season is a hoot and a half)

As someone who posts a lot on boards that have a majority of Americans and Brits, I've come to accept that cyclists have a terrible reputation in your countries.

As a dutch person living in finland, both countries have a good attitude, seperating infrastructure and more respect for eachother.

While cyclist break traffic laws, I also see the immense amount of drivers that speed, are on the phone, drive through red (scarlet green as my dad used to call it) and other such barely acknowledged traffic fouls.

A cyclist who breaks the rules, most likely only risks his own life, a driver can harm or kill others so much more easily.

(if you want to watch some outright terrible stuff, check out "canada's worst driver" especially the last season is a hoot and a half)

Ha, definitely no disagreement there.
I think part of the problem is the general American attitude of 'I'm more important than everyone else'. Put that on two very different modes of transportation and you have a disaster in the making.
I think the IDEA of share the road is great, but in actuality, need to keep them separate to keep everyone alive.

Put everyone on motorcycles. Sure, a lot of folks will get dead the first year, but after that we'll see the best driving ever.

Wanna see some hilarious 2-wheeled **** going down?
Take a trip to Bermuda and watch total noobs trying to master the art of piloting a scooter.
Especially the nitwits that - having never, ever ridden a powered 2-wheeled vehicle - decide they can go cheap, get one scooter, and put the squeeze on the jump seat :smack:

The locals love that stuff...

Cheers!

My mom was a real mean nasty woman. When she died, my toast to her by the bonfire with my siblings and spouses: yes we'll miss her, and we think that some where in there was a good heart. But we do know she's in heaven, cuz the devil doesn't like competition.

I hear you. She might have a friend there though.

This sounds awful but my mother was like Tony Soprano's mother.

My mom died in September of this year. She was in a nursing home for her last 4 years of her life (at 83 yrs old). She was totally absolutely f-ing GD pissed from being pulled from the house. It was necessary though.

She was an invalid or quadriplegic, addicted to pain killers, and verbally abusive to anybody who stood up to her ********. Totally mentally sound when not intoxicated.

My father tried to care for her until I put my foot down, about the verbal abuse and the sleep deprivation she imposed upon him. (Falling off the $hitter frequently had a lot to with this.) Despite this, I put her in the nicest Catholic nursing home possible. (At $8k/month) He still drove 20 miles every day to the nursing home for two years until his death. Which was the day before Xmas 2014.

My mother was sad for one day about his passing, then said it was my fault he died, since she wasn't able be at home to take care of him. (Insert evil laugh). Said adopting me as a baby was the worst mistake of her life. Spewed all kinds of mean. To include spitting on me. Mind you no Alzheimer's, no dementia. Pure hate and deceit. Near the end she was heavily medicated to sedate her.

FWIW - Very few of her friends visited her more than once. She told most them I was satan incarnate for putting her in this place and asked them to take her home. Then got pissed at them when they would not help.

At her funeral, 30 people showed up, nobody had any final words about her passing. No tears shed either. Death is a *****, when you live life as a *****.

On a happy note, I am celebrating 86 years of my fathers life even if he passed around x-mas. He liked dunkels!!! :tank:

I hear you. She might have a friend there though.

This sounds awful but my mother was like Tony Soprano's mother.

My mom died in September of this year. She was in a nursing home for her last 4 years of her life (at 83 yrs old). She was totally absolutely f-ing GD pissed from being pulled from the house. It was necessary though.

She was an invalid or quadriplegic, addicted to pain killers, and verbally abusive to anybody who stood up to her ********. Totally mentally sound when not intoxicated.

My father tried to care for her until I put my foot down, about the verbal abuse and the sleep deprivation she imposed upon him. (Falling off the $hitter frequently had a lot to with this.) Despite this, I put her in the nicest Catholic nursing home possible. (At $8k/month) He still drove 20 miles every day to the nursing home for two years until his death. Which was the day before Xmas 2014.

My mother was sad for one day about his passing, then said it was my fault he died, since she wasn't able be at home to take care of him. (Insert evil laugh). Said adopting me as a baby was the worst mistake of her life. Spewed all kinds of mean. To include spitting on me. Mind you no Alzheimer's, no dementia. Pure hate and deceit. Near the end she was heavily medicated to sedate her.

FWIW - Very few of her friends visited her more than once. She told most them I was satan incarnate for putting her in this place and asked them to take her home. Then got pissed at them when they would not help.

At her funeral, 30 people showed up, nobody had any final words about her passing. No tears shed either. Death is a *****, when you live life as a *****.

On a happy note, I am celebrating 86 years of my fathers life even if he passed around x-mas. He liked dunkels!!! :tank:

Damn. Mine wasn't mean like that, that's just downright hateful. Mom was upset we put her in a nursing home, but yes, necessary. Wouldn't do therapy to get stronger so she COULD go back home. Was a royal ***** to the staff, but God bless 'em, they gave it right back! In the end, the last couple weeks held a lot of remorse on her end. 'Why was I so mean?' 'Why did people still come around, I was so horrible to them?' That sort of thing. Asked my wife to pray with/for her every time she saw her. Irony was; mom hated the church, but did have some sort of faith base. Wife is very strong in her faith, but mom used to poke fun at her for it.
Dad passed exactly 13 months prior, Oct 2015. All mom could say was 'The SOB cheated me out of my 50th anniversary party'. (She died 5 days after their 50th)
I miss dad a bunch and will mourn that loss for years, he was my rock, my best friend, the one that knew me inside and out. Mom? Well. Ok, she's gone, let's get this **** cleaned up and sold, I got **** to do. Lol

Spewed all kinds of mean. To include spitting on me. Mind you no Alzheimer's, no dementia. Pure hate and deceit. :tank:

Back early in my marriage when my mother told me she wanted to move near me I told her that while I would do what I could for her (when I was single I would do a lot for her on my visits home) my priority had to be my family.
The kindest thing she said was "I wish you were dead so I could spit on your grave, except I wouldn't waste the spit". That was over a quarter of a century ago and I haven't communicated with her since. The only one of her 4 children that have anything to do with her is my disabled brother who has no choice.

Back early in my marriage when my mother told me she wanted to move near me I told her that while I would do what I could for her (when I was single I would do a lot for her on my visits home) my priority had to be my family.
The kindest thing she said was "I wish you were dead so I could spit on your grave, except I wouldn't waste the spit". That was over a quarter of a century ago and I haven't communicated with her since. The only one of her 4 children that have anything to do with her is my disabled brother who has no choice.

That's too bad. I had a few stints where we didn't talk or see each other. 6 years in 2000-2006 and 1 year right after being in the nursing home. Social services told me to not come since she would blow a gasket whenever I came see her. It was mainly because she scared the other residents. That 1 year was pretty good. Going to the nursing home was no joy itself and worse when the family member is behaving that way.

That's too bad. I had a few stints where we didn't talk or see each other. 6 years in 2000-2006 and 1 year right after being in the nursing home. Social services told me to not come since she would blow a gasket whenever I came see her. It was mainly because she scared the other residents. That 1 year was pretty good. Going to the nursing home was no joy itself and worse when the family member is behaving that way.

I found it easy to do because she taught me how to, when she left my dad she did everything in her power to make us hate him and not want to have anything to do with him.
We left when I was 11 and I had no contact with him until he died when I was 15.

People that open their mouth when it's best they mind their own business.

I'm out to dinner with my son, wife and in-laws. We get two bills, they pay theirs. I pay ours.

They pay with a credit card, I pay with cash. I put a $100 bill down on the check. The waitress comes to table to take both checks. My FIL says "Keep the change!!!!".

I'm like no way.... The bill is only $43, she's NOT geting a $57 tip.

She knew better to bring back the change, but that's b.s. to say that when you're not paying. In fact his wife was the one paying!!!

I'm out to dinner with my son, wife and in-laws. We get two bills, they pay theirs. I pay ours.

They pay with a credit card, I pay with cash. I put a $100 bill down on the check. The waitress comes to table to take both checks. My FIL says "Keep the change!!!!".

She knew better to bring back the change, but that's b.s. to say that when you're not paying. In fact his wife was the one paying!!!

Did you tip or are we gonna have a Reservoir Dogs moment here?

I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or not about my situation. My dad passed in 2010, great guy; my mom lives by herself in their house (which needs a fvckton of updating) and is one of the most kind-hearted people you could ever meet. Problem is that she is having trouble walking, standing up, getting in and out of vehicles, is starting to get in more minor car accidents (like 2 in the past year when she rarely would have one in 10 years) and I know it's only a matter of time until she has to go into assisted living. Not looking forward to that and she isn't either.

We had to "place" my father last January. It was an assisted living facility (had his own apartment, microwave, etc) and it didn't work out. He has Alzheimers/dementia/fried brain from years of drinking, pick one because his doctors keep changing his diagnosis. He hated it there, wouldn't participate in anything, wouldn't shower for weeks, and they just didn't keep him very well. We moved him a few months ago to a "memory care" facility that is much better, but he's still very angry and wants to come home. I hate Alzheimers and what it's done to my dad. This Christmas is gonna suck. Bah freakin humbug.

Surely he was trying to make a joke, no? Was he seriously trying to (grossly over)tip with your money?

It wasn't a joke. He was serious. He wasn't paying attention and just blurted it out as if he was paying and it was no big deal. My wife let him have it though.

I imagine he doesn't know why he said it, but he was not dialed in to what was going on at the table.

I hate to open my mouth when it's best I mind my own business, but your FIL doesn't like you. Most don't.

I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or not about my situation. My dad passed in 2010, great guy; my mom lives by herself in their house (which needs a fvckton of updating) and is one of the most kind-hearted people you could ever meet. Problem is that she is having trouble walking, standing up, getting in and out of vehicles, is starting to get in more minor car accidents (like 2 in the past year when she rarely would have one in 10 years) and I know it's only a matter of time until she has to go into assisted living. Not looking forward to that and she isn't either.

It comes down to her safety as well as others. Taking a way keys is the precursor to going into a home and a loss of freedom.

Its like they become a child, unable to care properly for themselves. Starts with making bad decisions, or none at all, that clues you in to the fact there's a problem.

I had to take the keys from my Dad when he could no longer put gas into the car. The whole zip code security thing would throw him. After showing him several times i came to conclusion he should not drive. He was unable to gas up the car.

I live 3 hours from his house. He was isolated to weekend visits. I stocked him up with cigarettes and food every weekend.

Near the end he would not even reheat plated food. He went down hill fast.

We had to "place" my father last January. It was an assisted living facility (had his own apartment, microwave, etc) and it didn't work out. He has Alzheimers/dementia/fried brain from years of drinking, pick one because his doctors keep changing his diagnosis. He hated it there, wouldn't participate in anything, wouldn't shower for weeks, and they just didn't keep him very well. We moved him a few months ago to a "memory care" facility that is much better, but he's still very angry and wants to come home. I hate Alzheimers and what it's done to my dad. This Christmas is gonna suck. Bah freakin humbug.

Its very hard, but you have too remind yourself its for their best interest and their own personal dignity. Their safety is the most important thing. They're like a young child who can't be left alone.

FWIW - I could have never bathed or changed diapers of one of my parents.

Until today, I did not know that aged white wine vinegar could spoil. :(

I have a bottle of "Orlando - Age White Wine Vinegar, Product of Italy, 6 % acidity." that has a pelicle. I picked it up, jiggled the bottle and a pelicle dropped to the bottom of the bottle.

FWIW - Smells like stinky feet, rubbed with vinegar. I am thoroughly confused. :confused: Vinegar spoils?????

You hack that up last week?

Hell No!!!!

Imagine how bad my breath would have to be to accomplish that? :D

Those Italian women had more than athletes foot when they stomped those grapes!!!!

GrapeStompAlleigh2_zpsc2ab3b2e.jpg

Annoyance: highway drivers in the right hand lane who change lanes into the on-ramp merge lane to cut ahead.

Bonus annoyance: highway drivers on the offramp who stay in the right turn lane till the end and then cut into the left hand lane 10 metres before the intersection to "skip" the congestion. YOU ARE THE CAUSE OF CONGESTION.

I'm not talking about merging out of a lane at the end of the lane. That I agreed with. I'm talking about hopping from a lane that isn't ending into a lane that is ending... only to hop back into a lane that is ending.

Anyway the only way to win that war is for everyone to now hop into that exit lane making it no longer an advantage. Basically scortched earth.

Do the zipper!

I'm not talking about merging out of a lane at the end of the lane. That I agreed with. I'm talking about hopping from a lane that isn't ending into a lane that is ending... only to hop back into original lane again.

Anyway the only way to win that war is for everyone to now hop into that exit lane making it no longer an advantage. Basically scortched earth.

Do the zipper!

I'm not talking about merging out of a lane at the end of the lane. That I agreed with. I'm talking about hopping from a lane that isn't ending into a lane that is ending... only to hop back into original lane again.

Anyway the only way to win that war is for everyone to now hop into that exit lane making it no longer an advantage. Basically scorched earth.

I'm not talking about merging out of a lane at the end of the lane. That I agreed with. I'm talking about hopping from a lane that isn't ending (left lane) into a lane that is ending (right turn lane)... only to hop back into original lane again. It messes with people making a right turn and it causes additional merges in the left lane.

Anyway the only way to win that war is for everyone to now hop into that exit lane making it no longer an advantage. Basically scorched earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back