This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so, traffic wasn't so bad, going to be 15 minutes early to work, decide to grab a bite at the McDs around the corner

I ordered a bagel... disembodied voice repeated back my order for a bagel, paid for a bagel, receipt says bagel. does this LOOK LIKE A ****ING BAGEL?

bad enough I spilled coffee in my car, soaking my cel phone (water-resistant Samsung S5, thankyouverymuch) and my digital camera (****... have had this Canon A620 for 10 years, LOVE IT!) and the car registration card I just got (temporary, until I get my new vanity plates DIY BEER)

now I gotta choke down some dry-assed sawdust hockey puck.

but NEVER EVER ask if things could get worse

camera is still functioning, it will take pictures, except if I want to use the flash

20170126_075929.jpg

from a FB friend:
It has always wanted to be a bagel, felt inside it was really a bagel, despite its outward appearances - felt trapped really.

Finally got its chance to dress up as a bagel and all it got was condemnation from you, with your closed mind.

Bigot.

OMG.... did I use a non-preferred pronoun?

I'm such a deplorable

so, traffic wasn't so bad, going to be 15 minutes early to work, decide to grab a bite at the McDs around the corner

I ordered a bagel... disembodied voice repeated back my order for a bagel, paid for a bagel, receipt says bagel. does this LOOK LIKE A ****ING BAGEL?

bad enough I spilled coffee in my car, soaking my cel phone (water-resistant Samsung S5, thankyouverymuch) and my digital camera (****... have had this Canon A620 for 10 years, LOVE IT!) and the car registration card I just got (temporary, until I get my new vanity plates DIY BEER)

camera is still functioning, it will take pictures, except if I want to use the flash

View attachment 386320

View attachment 386320

One more reason to avoid mcd.

Next time, I go out of my way for BK, I guess

Hate to break it to you but the people who work at BK are just as capable of screwing up your order as the ones at McD. Has less to do with the company and more to do with the acuteness of people who typically work in FF.

Hate to break it to you but the people who work at BK are just as capable of screwing up your order as the ones at McD. Has less to do with the company and more to do with the acuteness of people who typically work in FF.

Probably, but I've never had a problem at my local BK, but have had something wrong almost every time at mcd; that includes the taste being better. The last mcd visit was it for me.

Truck drivers that go 55 mph for 15-20 minutes, side by side, in 70 mph speed limit area. Basically, slowing down traffic.

Why do they do that, because they can?

Yesterday, during rush hour, I watched two semi trucks do that to another truck with a big flatbed.

It's obvious the flatbed driver was getting mad or at least annoyed. He was high beaming them for a while and tried to high beam them the shoulder too. I assume he was doing that because he was too close to be in their mirrors.

I don't understand why they feel the need to mess with people that way and risk an accident. I drive a lot and rarely see road rage among professional drivers.

We have it happen here because the one driver is tired of being behind the other one. But they've both got speed limiters. So maybe the one guy can go 1-2 Klicks faster than the other. It takes them a godawful long time to finish passing. And the. They get to a hill and the guy who's faster has a heavier load so it screws it all up and he has to try again

Thanks to an extremely generous donation, the high school I graduated from just built a new performing arts center. Yesterday was the second event of the opening concert series... the 34th Army Band. The place was almost completely packed (850 seat hall). Now, it's absolutely GREAT that they finally have the auditorium/performance hall that we were trying to get built two decades ago when I was in school, and the caliber of performances they can now bring in is significantly higher than before. But... some of the people in the audience...just...don't....get it.

A few tips, if you find yourself in attending a professional performance:

Remain in your seat. Movement is distracting to everyone seated behind you. If you must get up and leave before an intermission, try to do so during a break in the performance (pause between performance of two pieces of a band concert, break between scenes of a play, etc.). Only get up during the actual performance if you ABSOLUTELY MUST. And under no circumstances do you RETURN to your seat during a performance. Many halls will have monitors outside of the doors so you can watch from outside until a break or intermission, where you can return to your seat. It is very likely that an usher will be there barring you from re-entering. This is for a reason. When the doors at the back of the hall open, light floods in, and it can be distracting for the performers on stage. You don't just 'sneak' out. Everyone on stage knows SOMEONE left.

They will often make an announcement about turning off cell phones, no flash photography, etc. If you're an adult and need this reminder, please...stay home. You should f'n know better. And to that end, if you want to take pictures during the performance (which you shouldn't, but maybe your brother is making his big solo debut or something)... bring a good CAMERA. Not your damn phone. Something you look through a viewfinder to frame the photo, not a live display screen. Why, you ask? Again, respect for everyone seated behind you. The hall is dark for a reason - part of that is to minimize distractions in the audience. When you hold up your cell phone to frame a picture, guess what? EVERYONE sitting behind you is now looking at your screen instead of the stage, because it's a new, moving, point of light in an otherwise dark environment.

Modern performance halls are designed with AMAZING acoustics. It is not unheard of for a whisper in the back row of the seats to be clearly audible on stage. Do not say anything to the person next to you you don't want everyone in the hall to hear. In fact, unless it's intermission..don't say anything at all.

Some of us are painfully ignorant of most classical music, so wouldn't know the end of one movement from the end of the entire piece

Please forgive us neanderthals when we're incapable of hiding that ignorance

But, yeah... context. If other audience members are not clapping, follow their lead.

Clap when the conductor turns around.
This.

Watch the conductor. Specifically, watch the baton. If the conductor cuts off the band and holds the baton at the ready, he is doing one of two things; either pausing before moving into the next movement, or holding a few moments of silence at the end of the piece. If he's moving into the next movement, he will remain at attention and start directing the next section. If it's the end of the song, the baton will come down, his posture will relax, and he will turn around. The lowering of the baton is where you will often see the audience react.

Well, there you go, good to know

Not so ignorant anymore

I clap between movements from here on, you can call it stupidity

Thanks for the lesson

Don't think I have ever been proud enough of my movements to applaud

Probably because I am not one of the Participation Trophy generation

But if yours deserves applause, power to you

I would advise against standing ovations until after clean up

We have it happen here because the one driver is tired of being behind the other one. But they've both got speed limiters. So maybe the one guy can go 1-2 Klicks faster than the other. It takes them a godawful long time to finish passing. And the. They get to a hill and the guy who's faster has a heavier load so it screws it all up and he has to try again
So much this. The inlaws live out in Cornwall. Every single time, we get a couple pairs of these yahoos once the 401 narrows down to two lanes.

McDs was my first job when I turned 16 and the last job I had before I joined the Navy, so thanks for calling me a cuteness

and I don't know when they switched coffee, but the new **** tastes like ****. like DD coffee, which is super gross ****

swung by BK this morning. SEC croissandwich, was meh. coffee infinitely better than McCafe ***insert puking smiley here***

a bit harsh, don't you think?

this is what flashbangs are for. just one should clear an aisle

Not nearly fun enough.

This is what the mexican restaurant up the street is for. Stand right next to the offender and let one roar. They'll move.

Or they'll suffer.

(Hey, if you're going to be an inconsiderate jerk, I have no problem doing the same to you)

Not nearly fun enough.

This is what the mexican restaurant up the street is for. Stand right next to the offender and let one roar. They'll move.

Or they'll suffer.

(Hey, if you're going to be an inconsiderate jerk, I have no problem doing the same to you)

goes straight to nuclear option

not my style, but can't argue its effectiveness

goes straight to nuclear option

not my style, but can't argue its effectiveness
Nah, my nuclear option is after a four day spaghetti binge. I live alone, and don't like cooking small meals, so I'll make a full batch and eat it for 3-4 days. I make a killer garlic bread, and after pre-loading my system with that a couple days, I can peel wallpaper with garlic farts. And those things HANG.

Throw in some murky homebrew from a keg that got jostled a little bit and call the hazmat team.

If you are at an event that is thoroughly covered by all sorts of news organizations and there are cameras everywhere, there is no fricking need to whip out your phone to document it. I saw clips of the inauguration and of when Obama presented the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Biden. Both of those events had just a few cameras about but sure enough, folks felt the need to hold their phones overhead (blocking camera views) so they'd have their own (much lower quality and much shakier) video of the same thing that you can download later.

Same goes for weddings. There are professional photographers all over the place. No need to hop into the aisle in front of the bride to get yourself a little snapshot.

Illinois Emissions testing.....

My wife's car is a Lexus ES 300H The H means it's a hybrid ES.

Why does a car that 50% of the the time doesn't burn fuel, need to be emissions tested?

When the car is not moving it doesn't run the gas engine provided it has a working battery.

**Scot Sean Connery worst ever Irish accent voice**

"That's the CHICAGO way"

(correction: Kelly MacDonald in Boardwalk Empire was probably the worst Scot trying to do an Irish accent, but dang, she purty)

**Scot Sean Connery worst ever Irish accent voice**

"That's the CHICAGO way"

(correction: Kelly MacDonald in Boardwalk Empire was probably the worst Scot trying to do an Irish accent, but dang, she purty)

Yeah, while I think it's good for a congested city. It's silly for fuel efficient cars. They should be exempted.

My wife needs to submit a change of address to get away from this. My other car's registration is in Decatur so I don't need to do emissions on a 2006 Camry.

I wonder if I had a Volt and had a Chicago address if I'd get the notice for testing. I can imagine the knucklehead trying to find the exhaust pipe....

BTW - I have two addresses. If you're not in Chicagoland no testing required.

Illinois Emissions testing.....

My wife's car is a Lexus ES 300H The H means it's a hybrid ES.

Why does a car that 50% of the the time doesn't burn fuel, need to be emissions tested?

When the car is not moving it doesn't run the gas engine provided it has a working battery.

Stupid Fokkers....

Pretty simple actually. All of the energy comes from the GAS engine. The state is not the 'stupid fokker' here.

I'll retract the stupid fockers comment.

It's not about energy it's the emission. A hybrid car has much less than the conventional gas burning car.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sc...-production-waste-offset-hybrid-benefits2.htm

The emissions are only less if the gas engine is functioning properly though. That's why you have emissions test it still.

All that battery does for you is allow the engine to run at more efficient speeds when its running (so uses less fuel and ideally less emissions), and recover some energy when braking. Other than that's still fundamentally the same as a normal car. Even then the fuel savings aren't that significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back