FotHB XVIII: In Memory of @aharri1 [RIP]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my drink poured and ready, precisely 4 minutes early lol.
IMG_6973.jpg

First up ...

1. @3 Dawg Night
  2. @TwistedGray
  3. @wepeeler
  4. @Noob_Brewer
  5. @Dgallo
  6. @fourfarthing
  7. @RCope
  8. @BrewMan13

@3 Dawg Night

Honeymoon Suite
Tropical Stout
5.9% ABV, 46 IBU, 47 SRM
Citra & Motueka hops. This one was brewed last year. It has changed over time, but it's still a good, roasty stout.

Tormado
American Amber Ale
6.1% ABV, 37 IBU, 14 SRM
Centennial hops. Malt-oriented amber. This is my own recipe based on analysis of NHC winners over the past few years. I'll be interested to hear your comments on this beer, to see if they gel with my observations.

Goldilocks
Oatmeal Stout
5.5% ABV, 35 IBU, 50 SRM
EKG & Northern Brewer hops. Recipe is based on a recent NHC winner. It didn't ferment out as much as I expected, but it didn't turn out overly sweet. Smooth and roasty.

Want of Wit
Witbier
5.1% ABV, 21 IBU, 4 SRM
Pacific Jade hops. No "extras" (e.g., citrus peel, coriander) but the Pacific Jade gives it a citrusy, peppery flavor by itself.

@Dgallo

1 - The Darkness Within (black wax) - 8 month bourbon barrel aged 14.1% imperial stout

1 - The Darkness Within (pink wax) - 8 month bourbon barrel aged 14.1% imperial stout finished on Tahitian Vanilla and coconut

1 - ESB - Traditional ESB at 5.8% abv

2 - Divinity - double hazy ipa at 8.2% whirlpooled with Simcoe cryo and Nelson and Dryhopped with 100% Nelson

1 - Josephine - a 6.1% wild ale fermented with my house culture, aged on lavender blossoms and dryhoped with Strata hops

2 - Swetter Wetter - 7.6% cold ipa utilizing solely my wet homegrown cascade, Columbus, and cashmere hops

Depending on timing, 2 additional wild/farmhouse style mix cultures could be ready if they are stable in time

@wepeeler

Kolsch - Fantastic! Floral and crispy! Tettnang + Omega Kolsh 2
German Pilsner - Tastes more like an American Pils at the moment. Needs to lager! Hallertau Mittelfruh + Tettnang 34/70
Festbier - Pilsner, Vienna, Munich. Tettnang hops. 34/70
NEIPA - if I can find the time to brew it. Should be able to get one going next week. Most likely going to be Citra, Simcoe, Cascade + Coastal Haze.
Possibly a Hefe, depending how long it lasts. Banana and cloves! Oh my! Wyeast 3608
Oh, and an Altbier I should be kegging next week

@RCope

Hop Freezer WCIPA 5.9% 60 ibus
Southern Cross, Strata, HBC 586

Vienna Lager 5.7% 32 ibus
H. Mitt and Saaz

"Citra Ass Down" Cold IPA 6.8% 72 ibus
CTZ, Nectaron, Citra Hop Hash

Prickly Pear Wheat 6.1% 29 ibus
Harlequin, Nectaron

Screaming Devil NEIPA 6.9% 28 ibus
Riwaka, Strata, Vic Secret, Lupo Amarillo

Probably a couple more...Cheers!

@Noob_Brewer

Doppelbock - 9.5% - Nice maltiness and body with dark fruit character (cherry/plum). Kegged in January and been lagering ever since.

Dunkles Bock - 7.4% - Malty, semi-dark fruit character with a touch of malty toast, more sessionable than the doppelbock.

Saison - 7.4% - Drinks like a standard strength saison despite super strength abv. Effervescent, grainy grain bill shines and backs up the nice lemon zest with clove very well. Belle Saison yeast.

Double IPA - 8.3% - This is a clear, Russian River Pliny-inspired Double IPA. Supportive malt backbone to support the hops. Note: no crystal malts were used or harmed in the production of this beer.

Belgian Dubbel - 7.3% - Nice balance between malty grain bill to support the yeast esters (Abbey Ale - WLP 530) which are straight dark cherry/plum. Yeast balances more towards fruity esters rather than spice.

Cranberry Saison - 6.0% - Same grain bill as my saison but used Farmhouse Hybrid Saison-style Lallemand yeast and added pure unsweetened cranberry juice concentrate (flash pasteurized) by Fruit Fast. Yes I cheated, but cranberries are tricky dammit!
*First 5 of these have done very well in multiple comps this year, with all 5 medaling most recently in a comp mid-August. Cranberry Saison will be kegged on 9/2 so give me a week or two for carb time before bottling and sending this to you.

@fourfarthing

Honey saison made with @LBussy shipped honey from Kansas.

Belgian Strong Dark aged on mixed culture and zante currants. Originally brewed in 2021 and probably should get rest in the bottle until next Spring.

Belgian Abbey (Single)/Pale Ale/Wheat beer. This is a frankenstein beer. Grisette grist bill, Abbey Ale yeast, about 5%. About to bottle, but if it comes out as usual, its one of my favorities.

One secret surprise Barleywine homebrew that I did not make.

@BrewMan13

English porter "In Darkness Begotten": 5.5%, 22 SRM, 38 IBU. Just this side of a brown ale. A decent amount of brown and crystal malt give it an interesting flavor. First time doing this style, but it went over very well at our brew club meeting.
Piwo Grodziskie "It's Always Sunny in Albany": 6.6%, 5 SRM, 67 IBU. I guess you could call this an "imperial" grodziskie since the style is normally 3-4%. Super light, but very smokey with a firm bitterness. Basically a SMASH with Bootleg biology grodziskie yeast blend, polish Lublin hops, and oak smoked wheat malt.
American strong ale "Get to the choppa!": 8.7%, 12 SRM, 96 IBU. Hopped basically like a DIPA with simcoe and mosaic, with a solid malt backbone. Still conditioning, so final opinion TBD.
West coast IPA "This is why I don't like "C" hops": 6.8% ABV, 67 IBU, 9 SRM: fairly heavily hopped with chinook (bittering) and cascade (whirlpool), then chinook and citra in the dryhop. Brewed for a club comp, not my usual cup of tea, but tried to make it fairly true to style.
Märzen "Hopfen & Malz": 6.3%, 10 SRM, 23 IBU. Note: *this is ear-marked for a friends' party, but I have a lot so I should be able to siphon off a couple bottles beforehand*. Super malty, always goes over very well. Basically a Munich malt bomb. Has become one of my favorites.
Imperial stout "The Darkness within" 14.1%, 63 SRM, 57 IBU: the HUGE stout I brewed with @Dgallo. Bourbon barrel aged for ~8 months; no adjuncts. I still haven't drank any of my share...yet.

@TwistedGray

Hard cider - It's my "house" cider. Pretty much keep this bottled throughout the year

Raspberry / Hibiscus Hard Cider - Similar to the above expect overloaded with tart raspberries and a fistful of hibiscus

Mexican Pumpkin Stout - A standard American Stout with several pounds of Mexican pumpkin added to the boil

(SSB) Session Saison fermented w/ Brett -

Hibiscus Saison - To me, the yeast didn't really impart a lot of saison characteristics, or the hibiscus changed that. I'm not sure...drinks more like a regular ole' hibiscus ale (still good - just not the intent)

Remaining offers - apologies for any spacing issues

@3 Dawg Night

Honeymoon Suite
Tropical Stout
5.9% ABV, 46 IBU, 47 SRM
Citra & Motueka hops. This one was brewed last year. It has changed over time, but it's still a good, roasty stout.

Tormado
American Amber Ale
6.1% ABV, 37 IBU, 14 SRM
Centennial hops. Malt-oriented amber. This is my own recipe based on analysis of NHC winners over the past few years. I'll be interested to hear your comments on this beer, to see if they gel with my observations.

Goldilocks
Oatmeal Stout
5.5% ABV, 35 IBU, 50 SRM
EKG & Northern Brewer hops. Recipe is based on a recent NHC winner. It didn't ferment out as much as I expected, but it didn't turn out overly sweet. Smooth and roasty.

Want of Wit
Witbier
5.1% ABV, 21 IBU, 4 SRM
Pacific Jade hops. No "extras" (e.g., citrus peel, coriander) but the Pacific Jade gives it a citrusy, peppery flavor by itself.

@wepeeler

Kolsch - Fantastic! Floral and crispy! Tettnang + Omega Kolsh 2
German Pilsner - Tastes more like an American Pils at the moment. Needs to lager! Hallertau Mittelfruh + Tettnang 34/70
Festbier - Pilsner, Vienna, Munich. Tettnang hops. 34/70
NEIPA - if I can find the time to brew it. Should be able to get one going next week. Most likely going to be Citra, Simcoe, Cascade + Coastal Haze.
Possibly a Hefe, depending how long it lasts. Banana and cloves! Oh my! Wyeast 3608
Oh, and an Altbier I should be kegging next week

@RCope

H. Mitt and Saaz

Harlequin, Nectaron

@fourfarthing

Belgian Strong Dark aged on mixed culture and zante currants. Originally brewed in 2021 and probably should get rest in the bottle until next Spring.

Belgian Abbey (Single)/Pale Ale/Wheat beer. This is a frankenstein beer. Grisette grist bill, Abbey Ale yeast, about 5%. About to bottle, but if it comes out as usual, its one of my favorities.

@TwistedGray

Hard cider - It's my "house" cider. Pretty much keep this bottled throughout the year

Raspberry / Hibiscus Hard Cider - Similar to the above expect overloaded with tart raspberries and a fistful of hibiscus

Mexican Pumpkin Stout - A standard American Stout with several pounds of Mexican pumpkin added to the boil

(SSB) Session Saison fermented w/ Brett -

Hibiscus Saison - To me, the yeast didn't really impart a lot of saison characteristics, or the hibiscus changed that. I'm not sure...drinks more like a regular ole' hibiscus ale (still good - just not the intent)

I agree. I’m currently stuck between 2 and I’ve already picked one them in two FOTHB in a row and would feel bad but at the same time, his beers are great lol
I ended up choosing my choice simply based on the types of beers offered that Ive wanted to try because I had confidence in the two brewers I was deciding between.

Remaining offers are below

@fourfarthing is on the clock at 640-645

@RCope

H. Mitt and Saaz

Harlequin, Nectaron

@fourfarthing

@TwistedGray

(SSB) Session Saison fermented w/ Brett – sub3%, brett fermented, easy easy drinker

I think we know how this ends, so @BrewMan13 you're up. Your options are as follows...

@TwistedGray

(SSB) Session Saison fermented w/ Brett – sub3%, brett fermented, easy easy drinker

Anddddddddddddddddddddddd thank you all for contributing, and you all should be well familiar with the routine now. Please connect with the person who you've selected to make sure that they have your address and availability (for shipping/receiving).

Here's the breakdown for those not tuning in...

@3 Dawg Night picks @Dgallo
@TwistedGray picks @Noob_Brewer
@wepeeler picks @BrewMan13
@Noob_Brewer picks @wepeeler
@Dgallo picks @3 Dawg Night
@fourfarthing picks @RCope
@RCope picks @fourfarthing
@BrewMan13 gets stuck with @TwistedGray

CHEERS!!!

Back