FotHB XVIII: In Memory of @aharri1 [RIP]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m currentlot unboxing @3 Dawg Night ‘s shipment as we speak. Pictures in less than five!
Everything came in great. Thanks for the extras brother!!!
IMG_0030.jpeg

@3 Dawg Night

Just got home and ups was there at the same time. Everything came through unscathed @wepeeler ! Thanks! Can’t wait to dig into these. And apparently according to my kids the 0.5 zoom picture from above is all the rage. So here it is lol! and yes, I did salute these beers lol.

View attachment 831050
Kids these days.

Interesting. This is the first time I ever used whale pod shippers. Super easy to pack. My question: the two foam inserts at the top...the bottom one I installed and slid down the necks to stabilize them before putting on the top foam insert. WOndering if the middle "neck" insert just slid up on its own mid shipment OR they just slid up when you lifted the bag out of the box. Hope you enjoy them!

BTW, I will add that I spent a crap ton of time on my labels. I may have even used grog tag to print them on painters tape too! Epic labels they are :yes:

@wepeeler NEIPA. This is really a solid beer! Lighting sucks inside the house at night but this is really nice bright yellow colored beer. I also think the haze is "clean" looking to be and not a murky mess if that makes sense. Great aroma when I popped the bottle and the hops are fresh n popping with citrus, some sort of sweet candied fruityness in the middle and a little dank on the back of the palate which I dig to add depth. Great head retention with lacing down the glass as well. Very good my man!

IMG_7362.jpg
IMG_7363.jpg

another @wepeeler special. His Altbier. This is one of the main reasons why I chose him because I knew he'd been working hard on this bad boy. Sorry about crappy lighting but this beer is gorgeously clear and not as dark as the pic suggests. Great balance between the assertive bitterness and the malt bud! This is a solid beer that I would definitely like to have 5gallons of....just not willing to pay @wepeeler for shipping for that! lol :p

IMG_7445.jpg
IMG_7448.jpg

another @wepeeler special. His Altbier. This is one of the main reasons why I chose him because I knew he'd been working hard on this bad boy. Sorry about crappy lighting but this beer is gorgeously clear and not as dark as the pic suggests. Great balance between the assertive bitterness and the malt bud! This is a solid beer that I would definitely like to have 5gallons of....just not willing to pay @wepeeler for shipping for that! lol :p

View attachment 831942View attachment 831943
It's carbed!!! BRO! Looks great! One of my favorites! Cheers!

@wepeeler Cascade Pale ale. Bright, clear pale yellow. Is this really a single hop beer? Never had single hop cascade before but this is solid. Citrus with emphasis on grapefruit. This pale ale has assertive bitterness which I dig. Drinks like its 50-60IBUs which may be over the pale ale category but I like it a lot. Clean fermentation - just a nice bitterness followed by really nice flavor. Kinda reminds me of SN pale ale but perhaps a little more bitterness. Bordering on IPA territory IMHO. Enjoyed it bud!

IMG_7474.jpg
IMG_7475.jpg

@wepeeler Cascade Pale ale. Bright, clear pale yellow. Is this really a single hop beer? Never had single hop cascade before but this is solid. Citrus with emphasis on grapefruit. This pale ale has assertive bitterness which I dig. Drinks like its 50-60IBUs which may be over the pale ale category but I like it a lot. Clean fermentation - just a nice bitterness followed by really nice flavor. Kinda reminds me of SN pale ale but perhaps a little more bitterness. Bordering on IPA territory IMHO. Enjoyed it bud!

View attachment 832205View attachment 832206
AWESOME. So, funny story on that one...A neighbor came over with 5 min left of the boil. I had weighed out my 3 oz dry hop, and left it on the table, instead of putting it away. As I was chatting with him about the brewing process, the timer went off, and I started chilling the wort. Saw the hops on the table (the dry hops ffs) and panicked, threw them in, and started the boil again for 5 min. Soooo yeah, it's probably an IPA. I was shooting for 50 ibu, and the software calculated it at 70...But, dammit, it's a solid beer! Cheers!

AWESOME. So, funny story on that one...A neighbor came over with 5 min left of the boil. I had weighed out my 3 oz dry hop, and left it on the table, instead of putting it away. As I was chatting with him about the brewing process, the timer went off, and I started chilling the wort. Saw the hops on the table (the dry hops ffs) and panicked, threw them in, and started the boil again for 5 min. Soooo yeah, it's probably an IPA. I was shooting for 50 ibu, and the software calculated it at 70...But, dammit, it's a solid beer! Cheers!
Love this! lol...its still a very nice beer and honestly from time to time its refreshing to have an assertively bitter pale ale/ipa. the flavor on it was really good too.

@wepeeler Kolsch! Admittedly, Ive never brewed a kolsch but its definitely on my list of "to-brews". This beer is really good to me. Its super clean and even though everything is kind of delicate with the presentation I absolutely love the bready malt that has a touch of sweetness to it kind of like honey sweetness? The malt makes this beer what it is IMHO. I really and truly dig this beer. Despite the maltyness wihich has that nice malt sweetness to it, its definitely well attenuated and super clean. Great job bro! Curious as to just how fresh this beer was when you sent it to me.

Lastly - I forgot to take a pic of @wepeeler festbier which was solid as well. From my memory I was shocked at the maltiness considering it was very pale, more pale than I was expecting.

In summary - out of @wepeeler beers he sent me there wasn't a bad beer in the lot and my personal favs were the altbier and the kolsch. Thanks for sharing bud!

IMG_7483.jpg
IMG_7484.jpg

@wepeeler Kolsch! Admittedly, Ive never brewed a kolsch but its definitely on my list of "to-brews". This beer is really good to me. Its super clean and even though everything is kind of delicate with the presentation I absolutely love the bready malt that has a touch of sweetness to it kind of like honey sweetness? The malt makes this beer what it is IMHO. I really and truly dig this beer. Despite the maltyness wihich has that nice malt sweetness to it, its definitely well attenuated and super clean. Great job bro! Curious as to just how fresh this beer was when you sent it to me.

Lastly - I forgot to take a pic of @wepeeler festbier which was solid as well. From my memory I was shocked at the maltiness considering it was very pale, more pale than I was expecting.

In summary - out of @wepeeler beers he sent me there wasn't a bad beer in the lot and my personal favs were the altbier and the kolsch. Thanks for sharing bud!

View attachment 832386View attachment 832387
Kolsch!! That's my baby! Been tweaking that beer for a few years now. I've started doing step mashes and I feel it helps with attenuation. It's crispy, but the malt is definitely the star of the show. It malty sweet, not underattenuated sweet, which I love. I brewed that in 8/11, and kegged exactly 2 weeks after. It just kicked the other night 😭 Truth be told, I brewed it thinking SNERC was 9/22, but it was 10/22. But it held up!! I have another version in the keg now with only Pilsner malt as I didn't have an Vienna on hand. I think the Vienna gives it that malt flavor you're picking up! Brewing it again Friday!

Glad you enjoyed all the beers. Appreciate the killer feedback!

Tried some @BrewMan13 beers last night. Wasn't able to grab any pics, but here's my "judging".

American Strong Ale
Smells great! Malty and hoppy but balanced. Full of flavor and invites another sip. I don't know much about the style, but I'm getting fruity, which I did not expect from looking at the color. A little citrus and caramel, but caramel in a good way. Medium to full body, but definitely attenuated. Hoping it's not 9% because I just drank it pretty fast lol. Well done!

English Porter
Chocolate! Complex milk chocolate/dark chocolate flavor. Dark amber appearance, but clear. No oxidation. Touch light on the body, but very nice malt flavor. Crisp, clean, attenuated. I'm impressed with the flavor big time. This is a winner!

I'm still waiting on @TwistedGray but we've been in communication & tracking says it should show up today.
OK, I think I've matched everyone up, and when @BrewMan13 gets his beers today, that's everyone. I'm thinking about letting everyone have the holidays off and scheduling the pick day for the next round in mid-January. However, I'm not opposed to putting it together for a mid-December pick, if everyone would rather do it earlier. Thoughts?

Update: never showed yesterday, they changed the delivery date for today.

Also, while I'm always a last minute decision on these, the later the better. Need time for my last few batches of the year to condition.

@fourfarthing had one of his beers that he was planning to send out fail (blew up or something :) ) So he was brewing another in its' stead. I'm never in a hurry so when he is ready, he'll send. So no worries. I'm in for a New Year, New Beer trade! Cheers! Rick

Just bottle two of those and keep it cold and do that every beer you make. Then next round you’ll make it. That’s the only way I have multiple beers. I brew 1 time every 2 or 3 months now
@Dgallo - I would like to eventually get in one of these FotHB. Like you I brew about once every 2 months. I always keg my brews so any bottling would be done after the fact. Care to share secrets on keeping those bottled homebrews from going flat over long periods of time? Do you bottle from keg or do you bottle a few at the same time you are kegging?

Back