Quick question about yeast nutrients......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
So I am doing my second cider. 2 gallons of honey crisp from trader joes. I added some sugar and mixed it in really well. Pitched my yeast and the next day things were happily bubbling. It's been bubbling for about 10 days or so. I get a bubble about every minute so I get the idea that I need to add some yeast nutrient. I put in what was needed, there was a slight reaction. It looked like I opened a shaken can of soda. It bubbled up pretty good and then settled down. But now there is no action going on. I can't detect a single bubble.

Is my fermentation just completely done and by adding the nutrient it release the rest of the stored Co2?

Did I screw up my brew?

I haven't checked my gravity levels yet but was just curious if anyone had any advise.

...add some yeast nutrient...It bubbled up pretty good and then settled down. But now there is no action going on....

Sounds like what happened is the pieces of nutrient provided nucleation sites for bubbles to form, which is why you saw the immediate reaction. This is normal. When making mead you have to de-gas it (by shaking, stirring, or vacuum) before adding nutrients or it can geyser out of the vessel.

Sounds like all is well, and your cider is fine. The yeast are working, even if you don't see bubbles. Give it some time.

The reaction was just nucleation effects of adding granules or powder to a solution with CO2 in suspension. Think Mentos and Coke. You didn't hurt anything, but at 10 days in there's a chance that the yeast won't utilize the nutrients you added. Left over DAP tastes nasty. Yes, read the gravity.

Cider will ferment on its own and doesn't usually need any yeast nutrients.
The exception is that some yeast will throw off sulfur odor and flavor.

Did I screw up my brew?

Maybe, depends how much and what it is that you added. If you notice an off flavor, adding another container of apple juice may get the yeast going again and use up the added nutrients.

Cider will ferment on its own and doesn't usually need any yeast nutrients.
The exception is that some yeast will throw off sulfur odor and flavor.

Maybe, depends how much and what it is that you added. If you notice an off flavor, adding another container of apple juice may get the yeast going again and use up the added nutrients.

I just might throw in another bottle and see what happens.

Doubtful that you screwed it up. Adding more juice will increase the alcohol, maybe so high that the yeast dies (depends on what it was).

I don't understand why you added nutrient. Because it was slowing down? That means it was finishing. No judgement - just asking.

I once added sugar to a bottle of stout (because I didn't think it was carbonated or something). It gushed out all over till the bottle was pretty much empty. I've also (more than once, because I don't learn) added nutrient to a starter while it was boiling and it gushed all over the stove. So, like I said, no judgement!

Adding more juice will increase the alcohol, maybe so high that the yeast dies (depends on what it was).
Since the original mixture was juice+sugar, adding more juice without any additional sugar will produce a lower ABV if the yeast ferment everything to dryness, which is what most yeast will do with apple juice.
The total amount of alcohol will be more, but so will the volume, so the percentage or ABV will come out slightly lower.
If more sugar was added without additional juice, then the volume wouldn't be increased and ABV might go up so high that the yeast dies.

So my OG was 1.09 and now it's at 1.02 and no signs of going further. I just used a basic ale yeast. What additive do I need to make sure all the yeast is gone so I can put it in bottles?

Back