newby trying to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvannoy

Reaction score
Just got done fermenting a gallon if cider and was wanting to back sweeten alittle bit. I was going to use potassium sorbate to suspend the yeast then back sweeten and bottle, just not sure of procedure to bottle and best bottles to use, and storage.

I've had luck with using a1/4 cup of condensed apple juice to prime, mix in 5 gallon bucket then bottle and age at least a month.
Cheers!

If you're going to stabilize with potassium sorbate (plus a crushed Campden tablet, don't leave that out), you can sweeten it to whatever level you want with whatever sugar you want. I would recommend either capped beer bottles or those flip top Grolsch style bottles in case you get some fizz.

Thanks for the info, any special way I should store these. Ex: fridge ,garage or just in the closet.

I used a bottling cane and I thought it worked out very well to fill to a desired level. Just don't tip the bucket at the end like I did! You will end up with a bunch of yeast in your bottles.

I used Grolsch-Style bottles with the flip lids purely out of convenience and time. Right now, I could not imagine sitting down with a crown capper and individually putting on all the caps. The flip lids with the bails are super fast and easy.

I am going to bottle a little over two gallons of cider this week. I think I am going to carbonate (with carbonation drops) half of the bottles and leave the other half still. I may back sweeten half of each batch (carb'ed & still). I was thinking if I do back sweeten I may just go with a little bit of stevia since it will not ferment with any of the yeast.

I will leave the bottles in my basement and let them age there. It seems to stay around 66-68 year round. I'm not too worried about bottle bombs or anything since my OG was 1.048 and the FG was 1.000 using Nottingham yeast.

This is just my two cents on who I am going to bottle my first cider. Good luck and keep us posted. I will try to do the same.

Just got done fermenting a gallon if cider and was wanting to back sweeten alittle bit. I was going to use potassium sorbate to suspend the yeast then back sweeten and bottle, just not sure of procedure to bottle and best bottles to use, and storage.

Check with Yooper.

Back