First time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SciderMan

Reaction score
Started my first ever brew today. The plan is to have a light carbonated, slightly sweet apple cider ready for Christmas. Here’s what I’m using…

1 Gal of fresh pressed 100% apple juice (pasteurised)
1 Cup sugar
1 packet Lalvin 1118 yeast
1 Tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 Tsp pectic enzyme

Im going to to leave it in the carboy for 3 weeks before backsweetening, priming, and bottling for another 2.

I’m still deciding on what to use for the back sweetening. I don’t want to risk pasteurising the glass bottles so looking at the unfermentable sugars.

Picture is around 3 hours after pitching

IMG_5404.jpeg

Congratulations and welcome to the hobby! You're in the right place to get help on this topic. I'll let others weigh in on non-fermentable sweeteners as I don't have any first hand experience. I do have a couple suggestions.

Firstly, I know pasteurization sounds scary, but of you're careful, monitor the temperature of the water bath and watch the time it's really not that hard to do safely.

Secondly, in my experience, aging greatly improves the flavor of ciders. I would recommend at least 6 months and up to a year. It gives the cider time to mellow a bit taming some of the harsh initial flavors.

Something you might consider is what I'm currently doing. I've got 3 gallons ready to bottle this weekend. I intend to gift some this Christmas to friends and family, but I'm going to tell them it would be best to wait until next year to drink. I'll try some now, and make notes on the flavor but will definitely wait.

Good luck!

Secondly, in my experience, aging greatly improves the flavor of ciders. I would recommend at least 6 months and up to a year. It gives the cider time to mellow a bit taming some of the harsh initial flavors.

I think this heavily depends on the yeast used. I use SafCider, and the cider is good after 2wks in a bottle (because, bottle conditioning time). I've had them at 6mo, 12mo, 12mo+, and there's not an appreciable difference.

Congratulations and welcome to the hobby! You're in the right place to get help on this topic. I'll let others weigh in on non-fermentable sweeteners as I don't have any first hand experience. I do have a couple suggestions.

Firstly, I know pasteurization sounds scary, but of you're careful, monitor the temperature of the water bath and watch the time it's really not that hard to do safely.

Something you might consider is what I'm currently doing. I've got 3 gallons ready to bottle this weekend. I intend to gift some this Christmas to friends and family, but I'm going to tell them it would be best to wait until next year to drink. I'll try some now, and make notes on the flavor but will definitely wait.

Good luck!
I’m going to make a dry non carbonated gallon in the new year. That one I’ll bottle and leave to age. Maybe after a few goes I’ll attempt to bottle pasteurise…

Trying to stay clear of xylitol as I have 3 dog running round the house. Right now I’m thinking maybe Erythritol or Lactose

Yeah, I can understand that (we've got a dog, too...she doesn't go into the brew area when I'm working with xylitol).

Xylitol has been the only thing I've found that's successfully sweetened to my liking.

I have used a monk fruit sweetener product, Lakanto brand. The label says it contains erythritol also. It works well and I get no unusual taste like the other nonnutritive sweeteners. Lactose is not particularly sweet tasting. It adds viscosity and some sweetness but not like one might expect from sugar.

Back