Lifetime of Possatium Sorbate/Metabisulfite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slanderkin

Reaction score
I used potassium sorbate and metabisulfite for the first time in my last cider batch to back sweeten it. Its been working well but recently I've noticed that 2 of my 1 gallon jugs have started to build pressure and have some minor bubbles forming after about a month of no activity.

I have my cider stored open to sunlight at room temperature (I don't have space to keep them cold). Would these or any other factors cause the potassium sorbate or metabisulfite to degrade and no longer work allowing the yeast to process the sugar again?

These chemicals should last for many years, probably decades, without significant degradation. It is unlikely that the age of your chemicals has anything to do with what you are experiencing. However, sulfite will in fact off-gas over time. If you don't bottle right away, if fermentation is still happening, it will be reduced over time. Sorbate is more stable.

Refermentation can happen from time to time. There are many reasons, a few of which I'll cover here to give you some things to think about.

Sorbate and sulfite don't kill yeast or prevent healthy yeast from continuing to ferment if there are sugars present that they still want to eat. Sorbate neuters the yeast so they can no longer divide and produce more yeast cells. Sulfite keeps bacteria and wild yeasts at bay. The two substances can work together to stabilize a fully fermented cider. However, if the yeast is still happy and healthy and hungry, and sugars still present, then refermentation can still happen. It's just less likely to become problematic to where you would have exploding bottles, etc.

If you want, if you haven't bottled yet (sounds like not), you can try adding another dose to see if that calms the yeast down again, which may or may not work successfully. Alternatively, you can leave the cider alone for another month or two until there are zero signs of fermentation, then stabilize once again, with better odds of success.

Bottom line: Ideally, you want your yeast to be really tired and basically wishing they were dead before you add sorbate and sulfite and any backsweetener. This will improve odds of success in stabilizing. You won't be very successful in stopping an active fermentation with sorbate and sulfite. It has to already be pretty much finished. If fermentation is happening in your cider right now... you might be best off leaving it alone for a bit longer before taking any further actions.

Cheers and good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice! I think my situation might be the gas off that you mentioned as I took steps similar to what you explained - my cider had been finished with primary for roughly 2 weeks then I added sorbate + sulfite and then waited a week and finally added back sweetening sugar.

I hadn't seen any activity from the cider for a month until now so it would seem odd for fermentation to kick back up now unless I added too little of each or some other thing that I'm not thinking of.

my cider had been finished with primary for roughly 2 weeks then I added sorbate + sulfite and then waited a week and finally added back sweetening sugar.
It is possible that your cider is releasing gas that built up during fermentation. But it is also possible that it wasn't really done fermenting when you added the sorbate and Kmeta and re-started fermentation when you added sugar. Sorbate and Kmeta won't stop an active fermentation.

I suggest giving your cider several months of bulk aging before back stabilizing and back sweetening. That will ensure that fermentation is finished and give it time to clear.

Latest posts

Back