Masstoberfest 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,
just got on line from a boat deep in the West Pacific. Here's a pic from a few years ago showing PTN's date... I mean pig...I mean...........never mind.

Can't wait - This is always a good time. I hope to be brewing, but I'll definitely be there either way - with or without pizza. wait, maybe that's what I'll bring. Domino's for everyone. That way I can win the first ever Masstoberfest pizza trophy.

And oh yeah - GFY.

Aloha.

Pauls_pig2.jpg

Well, looks like special guest Robin Williams isn't going to be able to make it this year.

What is that anyway, Paulie? Discharge from your bilge pump?

Just a question for you guys, I was over @ Strange Brew in Marlboro, and they just got bags of Vienna malt for 85$ for a bulk bag. And the Marris Otter was 75. To me that seems a bit high, as when I was in Maryland 2-3 months ago, I paid 60$.

What are you guys paying for grain prices, and would the fine people going to this party might want to do a group buy to get some lower prices?

You should be able to get bags for less. You're in the Worc area so you may want to check out the Homebrew Emporium in Boylston. I had called them when I was buying grains a couple of months ago. They were doing a group buy in the price range you were talking about. I eventually got in on the group buy on this forum with CrazyIrishman. I've never even visited or bought anything from HE so I can't give a review. Strange Brew is expensive but they run a 50% off groupon every so often. Try Kaiser Malt instead of Vienna. It's twice the cost but you'll be impressed.

Call B*g I**n Brewery. They have the best prices. They'll sell it to you if you know the right person to ask.

That's a good idea. And its Wednesday afternoon, Cape should be there, he generally is on Wednesday afternoons.

Their number is on their website.

Tell him we advised you to call him so you get the friends and family discount.

Both the Tallywacker and the Porter are fermenting nicely. They will be all set for Masstoberfest. I need to get supplies tomorrow so I can make some Double D (Damned Drinkable) IPA using The Witches Brews Steve Andberg's outstanding recipe.
Saturday I'm diving in the morning and working on the oven in the afternoon.

Also how does one go about winning the masstoberfest cup? Being a competitive person I just want to give you all a fair shot at it. Having some young whippersnapper steal it from you isn't fun but I will take great pleasure

Heady Topper is an OK beer but it's not going to change anyone's life, despite what the wool and flannel crowd from VT would have you believe. It's made with a double dose of Unobtainium and Unicorn malt. It's cache is that you can't get it. You can't get it because it's made by a couple of goofs using a glorified homebrew rig and they can only pump out 10 gallons a day. Guess what? The same could be said about The Bog Water...

"EXTREMELY Limited Availibility!!!"
"Artisanal Beers."
"Unique Recipe."

If Cape had half a brain he'd box up a few bottles of Bog Water, pad the shipping carton with $20 bills and ship them out to Azippah, MuttonChop, Yoop and TexBrew (All of whom live very far away) and have them start whispering. Then he'd load up 10 or 15 Brazilian hookers with bottles and send them over to BA headquarters, then just sit back and listen to the unwashed masses clamor for his product.

As for the Kaiser malt, that is Cape's answer to Unobtainium. He bought the process license from this guy...

Also how does one go about winning the masstoberfest cup? Being a competitive person I just want to give you all a fair shot at it. Having some young whippersnapper steal it from you isn't fun but I will take great pleasure

Pretty sure it goes to the slowest escapee...

Cheers! ;)

Just a question for you guys, I was over @ Strange Brew in Marlboro, and they just got bags of Vienna malt for 85$ for a bulk bag. And the Marris Otter was 75. To me that seems a bit high, as when I was in Maryland 2-3 months ago, I paid 60$.

What are you guys paying for grain prices, and would the fine people going to this party might want to do a group buy to get some lower prices?

I think I have around 40 lbs of unmilled Vienna in a Vittles Vault from the group buy. I need to get my ass lagering. I'd be willing to sell a portion of it for what I paid at the group buy. I have others too (2row, munich, pale) if you want. I work in Marl right off of 495 if you want to pick it up there. I haven't used my mill but you could be the experiment. Send me an im if you want.

Back