Fruit prep for Sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsccorpio227

Reaction score
Hi. In the middle of making kettle sour beer. I was thinking of adding puree after fermentation, but couldn't find any brew supply store to have the puree, so I am thinking of adding a real fruit after fermentation is finished. My thought is to blend and freeze it, but not sure if this is the way to prep real. How do you guys prep fruit to add to your sour beer? TIA.

I either buy the canned Oregon Fruit or just grab a couple bags of frozen fruit from the grocery store and dump them in.

I either buy the canned Oregon Fruit or just grab a couple bags of frozen fruit from the grocery store and dump them in.
Yeah, I was thinking to Oregon Puree but nobody caries it here, order over internet gets kind of expensive

Here is some info I copied from HBT poster @MightyMosin who has a lot of experience making fruited mead. It should be good advice for your beer addition. I'd add that dicing or mashing might also help.
For fruit, I hand wash it first with water to rinse dirt and anything that comes off easily. After that, I create a wash of 1 part white or apple cider vinegar to 4 parts water. Put the fruit in the wash and let soak about 3-5 minutes. Take out and rinse in fresh water. Put out on towel to let dry.

Bag fruit and place in freezer. The frozen fruit will then be thawed and used in the mead. The freezing explodes the cell walls and really helps with the juice extraction in your mead.
Good luck!🍻

No mention of what specific fruit, but most fruits - fresh or frozen - do well being pureed, then heated to 140°F with pectinase added, and held there for 30 minutes to both pasteurize the fruit and break down the solids, before cooling and adding to the fermentor. Particularly effective wrt improved yield/reduced haze when dealing with raspberries and blackberries...

Cheers!

I usually just puree the fruit and take it up to about 180. Cover with tin foil that I sprayed with stars and and let it cool down. Then dump it into the fermenter for a second fermentation. Never tried the pectinase. The wife is a fruited sour fan big time so these are always on tap.

Back