Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was saying, if you brewed a clone recipe and entered it into competition, you would enter it in category 19C

because, BY THE NUMBERS, it fits the BJCP style guidelines for a barleywine more than it fits an IPA, or an IIPA

OK. But this isn't a homebrew competition, unless I've missed something. Even so, the numbers only tell a small part of the BJCP picture. I guess I don't see why this point is relevant.

classification by brewery does not make the beer so. many years ago I made a brown porter with a recockulous amount of honey (for the style). it was not a brown porter, but that's where I started and that's what I called it. as I sated before, beer is like liquid marble. it is what we want it to become. we are the artists (even the bigger boys). the interpretation is up to the beer holder. when I'm holding a 120, it's an aggressive American barley wine.

I gave my wife a taste of Surly Pentagram. much later she saw the bottle on the counter and said, "Oh, I thought that beer was one of yours." not funny, but it made me smile like I've been doing something right.

How did we get from claiming 120 is not the grail of IPAs to DFH is no good? I must have missed those critical 16 steps in the middle.

Not sure, but I see a lot of misinterpretation of my original post. I guess it was only funny to me and I should've kept it to myself and left it as a chuckle I had about a comment on social media instead of bringing it here to the "well actually" crowd where it was certain to be picked apart. And since I think it's odd to say DFH 120 is the holy grail of IPAs, apparently that means I don't like DFH and am following some sort of brewery bashing trend. Interesting assumption.

no joke, innit?

Yup. I can think of exactly one brewery of which I can say I like each and every one of their offerings (excluding the type that only have <3 offerings). And that's not to say I even really like every bottle, as I get an occasional sub par one. The good breweries have solid quality overall, a few great successes, and strong creativity.

DFH is still a very solid brewery.

Not sure, but I see a lot of misinterpretation of my original post. I guess it was only funny to me and I should've kept it to myself and left it as a chuckle I had about a comment on social media instead of bringing it here to the "well actually" crowd where it was certain to be picked apart. And since I think it's odd to say DFH 120 is the holy grail of IPAs, apparently that means I don't like DFH and am following some sort of brewery bashing trend. Interesting assumption.

I didn't read your comment like that at all. it's a good beer, but I wouldn't call it an IPA or an IIPA. certainly not "The Holy Grail of IPAs".

The point isn't whether it's an IPA according to an organization that has no more authentic authority over beer styles than your random bum under an overpass. The point was that the guy, whoever the guy was, referred to it in the exact same way the brewery refers to it. If you disagree with it that's your prerogative. I'm just trying to figure out why it was funny, and it seemed that the only thing that could make it funny in your mind was the fact that the consensus is it isn't a good beer (similar to all of us laughing at "King of Beers"), which would have been news to me.

I didn't read your comment like that at all. it's a good beer, but I wouldn't call it an IPA or an IIPA. certainly not "The Holy Grail of IPAs".

the points I was trying to make, I agree with it all

except I don't recall ever having had a 120-minute, so, if I have, it was unremarkable. If I haven't, well I'll try it the next time I have the chance.

I like 60-minute and I think 90-minute is one of those type of beers enjoyable at all stages of its lifetime; it's good when it's fresh and when it's aged

The point isn't whether it's an IPA according to an organization that has no more authentic authority over beer styles than your random bum under an overpass

I really don't care what DfH calls it, but we're speaking as homebrewers here and, as a group, have generally accepted the BJCP as one of the authorities by whose standards we define beer.

I added the "by the numbers" to qualify my response to narrow the meaning of what I was saying as much as possible. not to narrow the definition of what the beer is or how anyone else refers to it outside the scope of my response.

DYK that Pliny The Elder & Heady Topper are closer to brothers than cousins?

:D

Now those are two IPAs I'd expect someone to refer to as the holy grail of IPAs. With their relatively limited availability, hype, and everyone and their uncle wanting to trade for them, they make much better candidates than an "IPA" that really isn't an IPA and is pretty easy to acquire.

You may not find someone's off the cuff remark funny. But the good news is it gets WAY LESS FUNNY when it gets dissected, and the dissecting commentary gets dissected.

I heard that there are some people out there that are fond enough of beer to pay ungodly prices for just 1 bottle.

So I was browsing this thread and saw this. I love seeing the reactions people have when I tell them this:

In my town, a 24 is about $300. And it's not craft beer. It's the stuff you get when you walk into The Beer Store.

So I was browsing this thread and saw this. I love seeing the reactions people have when I tell them this:

In my town, a 24 is about $300. And it's not craft beer. It's the stuff you get when you walk into The Beer Store.

What town is this?

Igloolik, Nunavut, Canada.

It's a semi-dry town, where alcohol must be purchased through an alcohol committee. They'll approve or deny your order based on your ability to drink responsibly(-ish), and whether or not you've provided alcohol to people on their blacklist.

It's a semi-dry town, where alcohol must be purchased through an alcohol committee. They'll approve or deny your order based on your ability to drink responsibly(-ish), and whether or not you've provided alcohol to people on their blacklist.

Omg. That is crazy. I knew Canada was high on liquor tax but that takes the cake. Is this a reservation? I know I don't know Canadian law but is this usual? I know that would never fly down here in the states. At least not the northern half.

Do they have to approve your brewing supplies? I'm curious because I imagine all goods in must come through the same distribution channels? How do you convince them that brewing up beer in largish quantities will a) be drunk responsibly and b) won't reach the blacklisted. Sounds like a fascinating community though.

Just looked it up on Wikipedia. Wow, I guess home brewing makes the most sense for you. Do they heavily tax malts or barley?

Wait...is it now fashionable to not like Dogfish Head? Because they used to be a brewery touted for quality and innovation among the widely distributed craft breweries. I may be behind the times, here.

Either way, I still enjoy their beers very much.

THAT'S what's funny.

Wow, don't let word of that get around. I could see that system catching on in parts of Kentucky. :(

You may not find someone's off the cuff remark funny. But the good news is it gets WAY LESS FUNNY when it gets dissected, and the dissecting commentary gets dissected.

When you post something, you should also post why it's funny. Then we'll all get the joke.

I would certainly hope the frog was dead when you started.

Take your pick..

1. I remembered reading a quote about dissecting humor. Cut & paste as is.

2. If the frog was dead to begin with the comparison wouldn't fit the situation.

3. I've dissected a live, though anaesthetized, frog on at least one occasion. I think it was 8th grade science class. Saw the heart working, made muscles twitch.

4. I've stepped into your clever trap, justifying vivisection in support of science and analogies.

Take your pick..

1. I remembered reading a quote about dissecting humor. Cut & paste as is.

2. If the frog was dead to begin with the comparison wouldn't fit the situation.

3. I've dissected a live, though anaesthetized, frog on at least one occasion. I think it was 8th grade science class. Saw the heart working, made muscles twitch.

4. I've stepped into your clever trap, justifying vivisection in support of science and analogies.

4. It's definitely 4.

Back