Adding Flavors to beer(?)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khannon

Guy who really knows where his towel is.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I'm mostly a "beer flavored beer" guy. Don't get me wrong, I love well crafted beer, across the BJCP guidelines from smoked to sours, I love them all.. Issue is, I go to 5-9 home-brew fest events a year, all have some competition side that(seems to be) is mostly a popularity contest. Best I've done is a vanilla bourbon porter, and that is probably due to the "vanilla is cheating" factor..

I have a few things coming up soon, and the only things I had ready in qty enough to bring were a blonde that is great as a "lawn-mower" beer and a belgian tripel that while great, I'm not sure I want to share with the masses(slightly more expensive to brew, and I will drink it all without reservation) of 2 beer fests.

In talking with my wife, I decided to brew my ginger-ale(beer?) For a ~10 Gal batch, the base is ~20lbs turbinado, ~1.5lbs fresh ginger, 4-6oz ginger powder, 4-6 lemons, 4-6 limes, yeast nutrients. I have in the past added maple syrup or molasses, and done a few different yeasts. Mostly it comes out dry and spicy like Reeds gingerale only 8%.

Where I'm looking for advice (while I love having this on tap it's generally better mixed) for a beer fest, I ordered some "Torani" flavors that I hope to add to make it better. I ordered strawberry, raspberry, and smoked cherry flavors of their syrups. I ordered each in 750ml bottles. Anyone have experience with these flavors? Suggestions on how much to use per gallon? Thoughts on how these would play against a "dry" ginger beer/ale?

I also have a bottle of bubble gum flavor from Homebrew-con 2022 that I could add though my brain still considers bubble gum to be up there in flaws in beer with fusel alcohols.

I'm sick of losing to "raspberry-vanilla-caramel shake IPAs" when I bring a "near-to" flawless(by style) english bitter or dunkelweizen.. How do make the masses vote for me without brewing stuff that I won't drink(without cheating?)?

TLdr, I have a "dry" ginger (Ale/Beer)that need some flavor to help be voted "popular". Which flavor should I add, and among "Torani" flavors how much(per gallon) ?

What to do?,
Kevin

Let me start by saying I'm mostly a "beer flavored beer" guy. Don't get me wrong, I love well crafted beer, across the BJCP guidelines from smoked to sours, I love them all.. Issue is, I go to 5-9 home-brew fest events a year, all have some competition side that(seems to be) is mostly a popularity contest. Best I've done is a vanilla bourbon porter, and that is probably due to the "vanilla is cheating" factor..

I have a few things coming up soon, and the only things I had ready in qty enough to bring were a blonde that is great as a "lawn-mower" beer and a belgian tripel that while great, I'm not sure I want to share with the masses(slightly more expensive to brew, and I will drink it all without reservation) of 2 beer fests.

In talking with my wife, I decided to brew my ginger-ale(beer?) For a ~10 Gal batch, the base is ~20lbs turbinado, ~1.5lbs fresh ginger, 4-6oz ginger powder, 4-6 lemons, 4-6 limes, yeast nutrients. I have in the past added maple syrup or molasses, and done a few different yeasts. Mostly it comes out dry and spicy like Reeds gingerale only 8%.

Where I'm looking for advice (while I love having this on tap it's generally better mixed) for a beer fest, I ordered some "Torani" flavors that I hope to add to make it better. I ordered strawberry, raspberry, and smoked cherry flavors of their syrups. I ordered each in 750ml bottles. Anyone have experience with these flavors? Suggestions on how much to use per gallon? Thoughts on how these would play against a "dry" ginger beer/ale?

I also have a bottle of bubble gum flavor from Homebrew-con 2022 that I could add though my brain still considers bubble gum to be up there in flaws in beer with fusel alcohols.

I'm sick of losing to "raspberry-vanilla-caramel shake IPAs" when I bring a "near-to" flawless(by style) english bitter or dunkelweizen.. How do make the masses vote for me without brewing stuff that I won't drink(without cheating?)?

TLdr, I have a "dry" ginger (Ale/Beer)that need some flavor to help be voted "popular". Which flavor should I add, and among "Torani" flavors how much(per gallon) ?

What to do?,
Kevin
Rum barrel aged Dark and Stormy? Soak some oak cubes in rum and add fresh lime (in a Randall?) at serving?

Certainly nobody could decry the time-honored tradition of an orange slice in a Berliner Weisse, so who could complain about a little smoked cherry in an otherwise dry ginger beer?

Latest posts

Back