Brewing to an Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allstar

Reaction score
So I have been looking around on here a lot. It seems when people start talking recipes, it is located in one area. I think this is because people in the same region are enjoying the same type of quality beer and looking to reporduce it. What do you think? Do you think what region you are from dictates what you are trying to brew? Do you feel your weather affects what you want to brew? Just wondering.

I would say yes to all of that. I personally find myself trying to brew ahead of time so that certain beers will be ready during the season that I typically like to drink them. Many beer styles originated from regional tastes.

Yes and no. I'd say seasonal brews (lighter, smoother during the summer and heavier, hoppier during the winter as a very rough sketch) are probably bigger than regional brews.

You'll still hear things like "west-coast style IPA," but these days you can find plenty of eastern breweries doing those same exact beers. There has been a big movement in food lately for more local, seasonal ingredients and some breweries are picking up on this. Fullsteam in Durham, NC, for example, has a mission statement of creating "a distinctly Southern beer style using local farmed goods, heirloom grains, and Southern botanicals." They've put out a sweet potato beer that you probably won't find brewed in Seattle.

I guess the short answer is: There used to be more regional variety, then people started sharing and copying more and things were all kinda the same, but there's still some areas trying for local color.

Here is an example, I am from NW Indiana orginially. I will see a lot of threads were people are trying to get a recipe right, but looking closely at it I know it will taste like one of the local summer brews. I guess I just see people influenced by their local breweries.

I would somewhat agree with the OP's observation as a whole but in many cases at least for me there is a disconnect.

I live in a region full of wonderful beers and that certainly influences some of my brew choices but in contrast, I tend to brew allot of beer from far off regions that might otherwise be difficult to get my hands on a quality commercial version.

I also consistently find myself brewing to the seasons.

I don't care what's brewed &/or sold locally. I brew whatever strikes my fancy,generally. But I am starting to brew beers for the next season. Not to mention,try to catch up with my ever expanding brew idea notes.

Latest posts

Back