Soy Sauce beer yeast as Koji?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGC

Reaction score
Yep! Exactly what you've read!
I've read some people talking here and other places about making beer with koji, to see what it makes and all.
But.. what if we go the other way around?
From what I've got, Koji is there just to be a know and safe culture to ferment the soybeans.
So.. what if I make it with beer yeast?

I can get Koji, but it's hard for me since the shipment to my region in Brazil takes really long and because of this is really expensive, so I want to try with some cheaper before trying the real stuff.If you guys think it's possible, how should I try it? Just pour the liquid starter over the steamed and still wet beans??

hahaha I'm laughing here just for thinking about what the result could be

I believe Koji is just used as a source for amylase enzyme (for example, when making sake). Enzymes break down the starch into simple sugars to allow the yeast to consume it. I don't know if Koji contains yeast. When making sake, you need both koji AND yeast.

If you're making soy sauce, you need to add enzymes in addition to beer yeast. Find some amylase enzymes.

1704551842695.png

I believe Koji is just used as a source for amylase enzyme (for example, when making sake). Enzymes break down the starch into simple sugars to allow the yeast to consume it. I don't know if Koji contains yeast. When making sake, you need both koji AND yeast.

If you're making soy sauce, you need to add enzymes in addition to beer yeast. Find some amylase enzymes.

View attachment 838346
^This.

View attachment 838346
So... I just need the enzimes for it to be possible?
Well, this will be a fun ride!

If you can’t easily get real Koji mold spores and are willing to be creative, why not use malt as your source of the enzymes that free the sugars from your “grain” or bean culture for the yeast to eat?
See what happens!

The easiest source of enzymes is Beano. Most grocery stores will have it, or a similar digestive enzyme supplement.

It's not the same enzyme as we find in barley. It is not good for beer because it will not leave any sugars at all. But for soy sauce, maybe it's ok?

Back