Do you consider electric/automated brewing equipment to be cheating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you consider electric/automated brewing equipment to be cheating?

• Yes

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 96.0%

• Total voters
1708565203976.png

I said 'yes', but it's not bad cheating. Lemme explain... It's not what you would call traditional, but it's not what our beer fathers did. I have a controller for my bbq, but I wouldn't say it's not 'real' bbq. Much like I wouldn't say automation for Beer isn't real, it's just getting some help. So it's not like cheating, cheating - more of an advantage.

I love automation and have never brewed in over 20 years without it. For some of us, a temperature controller is it and for others sending a grain bill to the grain processing system is required to get the correct grain milled and delivered to the mashtun.
My first brewing computer exposure was in the early 90th, two pics.
I was ridiculed on Homebrewtalk for supporting automation, and shiny brewing equipment after I joined. The same people have migrated to the same shiny equipment from plastic buckets and I never told them they were wasting their kids' college
funds.;)

1995-FranzBrauerei0001.jpg
20240222_210910.jpg

AIO electric brewing systems are "cheating" in the same way that having a car that starts at the turn of a key or push of a button instead of needing to be manually cranked with a handle is "cheating".

Or cooking food in a sous vide instead of manually controlling the temperature of water in a pan for 12 hours is.

And that way is "not".

Only if you feel like you're cheating yourself out of some other experience.
This!

I get that some folks love automation, and/or want to brew like the big boys. I love some automation but don't want it to go too far. [insert skillful analogy to vibrators here]

I want to feel involved in the process, but also to automate tasks that feel burdensome. That's a movable boundary for sure.

As part of a fancy kitchen remodel, my cousin bought a built-in espresso-drink machine. Just push a button. Too easy? Cheating?

If a machine or process makes beer well and allows for improvement, go for it. If it locks you in and limits your options, maybe it's too automated.

This!

I get that some folks love automation, and/or want to brew like the big boys. I love some automation but don't want it to go too far. [insert skillful analogy to vibrators here]

I want to feel involved in the process, but also to automate tasks that feel burdensome. That's a movable boundary for sure.

As part of a fancy kitchen remodel, my cousin bought a built-in espresso-drink machine. Just push a button. Too easy? Cheating?

If a machine or process makes beer well and allows for improvement, go for it. If it locks you in and limits your options, maybe it's too automated.
"I want to feel involved in the process, but also to automate tasks that feel burdensome."
I do give the brewer a choice to be involved, but the automation is watching over the brewer in the background.
The system may not let the brewer proceed if switches are set wrong or sensors are malfunctioning.
The automatic water, hops, and grain deliveries are disabled. The brewer has to, based on the recipe, get the grains from the silos or storage containers, weigh the different grains, and put them into the mill. After milling the operator lets the system know to transport the milled grains to the mash tun, 35ft.
The same applies to the correct brewing water volume, hops, etc.
The pictures below are from the control room, the brewery has different displays.

Attachments

• Guied brewing.jpg
    Guied brewing.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Fix problems.jpg
    Fix problems.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Ready to brew.jpg
    Ready to brew.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 0
Are you growing your own grain? Do you harvest that grain and malt it? Do you crush that malt under a large mill stone? Do you collect pond water for your brewing? Do you fell trees for firewood instead of using electricity or propane? Perhaps we're all cheaters.
Don't forget forging your own kettle.

I take it this is some brewing software you're involved in. Though (as my posts above indicate) this is not really my kind of thing, I'm a bit curious. Care to post a link to more about the system you've highlighted?
"I take it this is some brewing software you're involved in." This is for my home brewing system. I write my brewery applications for the hardware I use to meet my requirements. All the control hardware for the brewery I purchased from Automation Direct.
AutomationDierect
In 1990 I used a different brand of controllers which I quickly replaced after a short time with AD.

"I take it this is some brewing software you're involved in." This is for my home brewing system. I write my brewery applications for the hardware I use to meet my requirements. All the control hardware for the brewery I purchased from Automation Direct.
AutomationDierect
In 1990 I used a different brand of controllers which I quickly replaced after a short time with AD.
You’re running your three vessel system with a PLC? That’s kind of badass. 🍺

You’re running your three vessel system with a PLC? That’s kind of badass. 🍺
I use multiple PLCs to cut down on running too many very long cables. The controllers are connected through powerline ethernet modules for data sharing. The brewing and grain processing system can be controlled locally without going through the control room, worldwide access is also possible.
"You’re running your three vessel system" A few more. I have a separate Whirlpool tank and a second mash tun too.

Attachments

• Grain access.jpg
    Grain access.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Brewery control.jpg
    Brewery control.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Brewery operator.jpg
    Brewery operator.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 0
A quick look suggests you can get a lot going on for not a giant amount of cash with their PLC stuff. Have you got electric valves too?
Yes, and manual valves including a flow diverter board. I used pneumatic butterfly valves in the past but ran out of air supply quickly because the grain processing system requires a lot of air to move the grain around.

Automatization of grunt work is not cheating in my book. I couldn't care less when I was younger and I brewed 5 gallon batches. But with so much less time and add back pain, I am all for electric equipment, also now I care more about flavor profile than "this is the fun way to do it".

Back