beer taste like yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek81

Reaction score
Its my third batch, "nut brown ale" its been in bottle for 3 weeks and hardly has any head. Taste and smells like yeast. I fermented for nearly 3 weeks and it had the same OG for 2 days before i bottled

what was your grain bill, process? without details we don't know what could be wrong or if anything is wrong.

Still need more info:

What was the recipe, which yeast? What was the OG, what was the FG?

Are your glasses cleaned properly? Are you leaving the yeast sediment in the bottle or pouring it in the glass?

For whatever reason, the browns I have made seem to do this as well. All of my other brews do just fine but the few browns that I have made have needed a good two months post bottling/kegging to hit their stride. In my case, I have attributed it to the yeast (WLP0002).

Back to the OP, lets see your recipe. Did you suck up any sediment when you went to bottle?

It tastes like yeast 'cuz there's yeast in it. :D

Just let it sit for a couple more weeks. The yeast will drop out of suspension and it'll probably carb up better.

I did a Munton's wheat kit a month and a half or so ago, and I have the same problem. It's been bottled for weeks, and it's not mellowing out at all. Let it sit in the fridge, and it tastes like ice cold sweet yeast. It makes me gunshy about Munton's, but I'm pretty sure I probably screwed something up.

I did a Munton's wheat kit a month and a half or so ago, and I have the same problem. It's been bottled for weeks, and it's not mellowing out at all. Let it sit in the fridge, and it tastes like ice cold sweet yeast. It makes me gunshy about Munton's, but I'm pretty sure I probably screwed something up.

I had the same issues with Munton's yeast and once I quit using the Coopers and Munton's yeast, it went away!

My house never gets above 67 degrees.

Yes i pour it slowly in a cup and there's alot of sediment in the bottle. I only had them in fridge for 24hrs.

I clean my bottles after drinking then again with Iodine before bottling (i spend more time on my bottles than any other step)

Slightly carbonated but no head... i used 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar to bottle...

I skipped bottling and went straight to kegging, but my guess is you should let them sit a while at room temp and see if they carb up.

wburn said:
I skipped bottling and went straight to kegging, but my guess is you should let them sit a while at room temp and see if they carb up.

Yeah im going to. Might as well just shocked at the yeasty taste and amount of sediment in bottle..

Im thinking of switching to keg

Well, I don't have any experience with bottling, but I can tell you, from what I've been reading, kegging seems so much easier. Plus I love having beer on draft, friends love it too.

Well, I don't have any experience with bottling, but I can tell you, from what I've been reading, kegging seems so much easier. Plus I love having beer on draft, friends love it too.

that's fine for 2-3 types of beer but once you have more and more beer it gets expensive to exclusively keg.

MaynardX said:
how long has it been in the bottle? At what temp did you let it condition?

3 weeks in bottles.... I'm cool with waiting considering the stout tasted its best at 6 weeks in the bottle.

Back