How long does it take

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnyboy1

Reaction score
I put about 8 to 10 oranges and a few grapes in a 5 gallon bucket. With 2kg sugar and filled with water and added instant yeast.
It's been about 6 days now and it has a bit of a taste to it now. How long until it's done?
1 week or 2 weeks? I have it sitting above a heater sonics warm.

As per your other thread ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/need-help-begginer-here.731677/#post-10354728 )with the same question; Do you have a hydrometer to test the gravity? If you can take gravity readings, we can help you determine when it's theoretically done....We can't really say when "it's done" as the question is a bit vague... Done fermenting is when the gravity is no longer dropping and it's moved on to the 'conditioning' phase. Since it's not beer, wine, cider, or mead but just some fermenting fruit juice with bread yeast, it's "Done" when you decide it's done. If you're happy with the taste, you can call it Done. That said, many such concoctions improve with age, and just as many don't.
:mug:

As per your other thread ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/need-help-begginer-here.731677/#post-10354728 )with the same question; Do you have a hydrometer to test the gravity? If you can take gravity readings, we can help you determine when it's theoretically done....We can't really say when "it's done" as the question is a bit vague... Done fermenting is when the gravity is no longer dropping and it's moved on to the 'conditioning' phase. Since it's not beer, wine, cider, or mead but just some fermenting fruit juice with bread yeast, it's "Done" when you decide it's done. If you're happy with the taste, you can call it Done. That said, many such concoctions improve with age, and just as many don't.
:mug:
I agree with all this except "it's "Done" when you decide it's done." I would wait until gravity is stable before bottling to avoid bottle bombs.
(Edit: As pointed out in the next post, it's fine if stabilized.)

Last edited:
I agree with all this except "it's "Done" when you decide it's done." I would wait until gravity is stable before bottling to avoid bottle bombs.
As mentioned, this isn't beer, wine, cider, or mead but just some fermenting fruit juice with bread yeast. So he can in fact decide when he wants it to be done and avoid bottle bonds by stabilizing first.

Back