made my first lousy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Somehow made my first "diacetyl bomb" beer. It's a recipe I've made at least 8 or 9 times before and has always been great, but this latest one turned out nasty -- a big load of butterscotch in what was supposed to be a nice, amber ale. I don't recall there being any "oh ****" moments on brew-day. What are the usual causes of this? Just bad temperature control during fermentation? Was brewed back in mid Sept, bottled 2 weeks later, and just now tasted a bottle -- couldn't do more than a couple of sips it was so buttery. 💩

recipe Amber Ale (og: 1055, fg: 1008, ibu: 33)
85% 2-row brewer's malt
5% munich 10L
10% caramel 60L
and brown sugar (at same weight as the 5% munich)
Cascade hops @60 and @10, no dry-hop this time
US-05
Fermented like usual in a swamp cooler down in a cool basement (just like every other time)

Last edited:
Did you notice it at bottling time?

Perhaps more time in the FV would have ridded it of the diacetyl. Was the temp of your beer in the FV low? If so, it may have needed some time at warmer temps to rid itself of the diacetyl before bottling.

What are the usual causes of this?

Here's a C&P from a presentation I did a few years ago:
BrDuFRC.png

BTW, a lack of perceptible diacetyl at bottling doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any later. If there is still significant alpha acetolactate in the beer, it can oxidize to diacetyl after packaging.

Last edited:
Yeast was not a re-pitch. Looks like best course of action is put the bottles in a warmer spot and hope that a couple more weeks does the trick.
Since they’re undrinkable now, and there’s some (probably small) chance they could become drinkable, that seems like a sensible approach.

I still think infection is a likely culprit, so keep them in closed boxes, handle with eye protection, and be prepared to carefully dispose of the lot if you have gushers.

I still think infection is a likely culprit
That's what I suspect too. Pediococcus is the likely culprit, being a fantastic diacetyl generator!

Have you ever taken apart and thoroughly cleaned the inside of the exit valve on your boil kettle?
Pediococcus can hide in there, surviving the boil, and even the indirect heat from your burner. It's often found within a black slime in the ball chamber of the valve.

Similar for spigoted fermenters and bottle buckets. Those valves need to be pushed apart to clean the space between the rotating barrels.

Boil kettle has no valves or plumbing of any sort. What's the trick to popping open the spigot without breaking it? I've got these spigots

Never mind, soaked it in hot water, seemed to loosen it up enough. Insides of this spigot were spotless. Likewise on my bottling spigot. But I have a third spigot that I won't be able to get to for a while, because I've got a just-brewed imperial stout fermenting in it right now :eek:

Last edited:
If you've never done so, take the spigot assembly out of the bucket. Clean/soak/sanitize the rubber gaskets, the nut and the threads well. Brush out (clean) the inside of the large spigot barrel. All that stuff can hold onto bugs. Sanitize, then let dry. Before use, resanitize and reassemble/mount wet.

What's the trick to popping open the spigot without breaking it? I've got these spigots
I think those come apart.
Soak the assembly in some hot water. While still hot, immediately push the rotating spigot out of the main body. Just push the barb end on a countertop or so.

Any other equipment you use that has tight spaces touching your chilled wort or beer, where bugs could hide? Like auto-siphons.

So I finally got around to trying another bottle from this same batch, and it smells and tastes perfectly fine: no butter/butterscotch/weirdness at all.

Only thing that makes sense, is that particular bottle wasn't quite cleaned before reusing...

Science, of course, dictates that I drink 3 or 4 more bottles tonight, to see if they're all good, too! :drunk:

update: only got around to a 2nd bottle, which also tasted just fine.

Last edited:
Finally bottled my imperial stout that had been fermenting in a bucket with the one remaining spigot that had never been pulled apart for cleaning. The stout smelled fine, but tasted pretty damn harsh (to be expected, it's 11% abv and 70 ibu's). When I pulled this spigot apart, it looked fine, nothing gross in there. :rock:

I made an Octoberfest one year that I donated to a club event. One of the experienced brewers told me it was awful with diacetyl, and further said he was surprised they even served it at the event. I loved the beer.

So, I do like butterscotch things lol. But I swear I thought it was a normal Ocfest. Maybe diacetyl doesn't affect some people like me.

I made an Octoberfest one year that I donated to a club event. One of the experienced brewers told me it was awful with diacetyl, and further said he was surprised they even served it at the event. I loved the beer.

Ouch! Any chance he just got a "bad bottle", or was it kegged (or maybe he was just an ass)?

I stopped using plastic buckets when I had 2 in a row go south. Dropped the money on an anvil foundry 10g and then a fermenter.. just added a leg kit (should be std or at least a few dollar discount as you toss original legs) to drop beer directly into keg. Got too much of a hassle to lift fermenter onto high enough counter... I can roll the foundry to where I want to have fermenter and pump into it, never lifting anything but the keg into fridge. Getting old sucks.

Latest posts

Back