Your most-hated song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 50s has some great music like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Presley (aka "when Elvis was good"), Fats Domino and Johnny Cash, but man there's a lot of crap in there, too, like Pat Boone. Lots of novelty songs like How Much is that Doggie in the Window. I'm a vinyl aficionado and record stores are littered with the carcasses of crap records from the 1950s (and 60s, too). It seems like it's all records that are orchestrated versions of popular songs of the day. Very weird, but it must have been super popular back in the day because those records are everywhere.

The 50s has some great music like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Presley (aka "when Elvis was good"), Fats Domino and Johnny Cash, but man there's a lot of crap in there, too, like Pat Boone. Lots of novelty songs like How Much is that Doggie in the Window. I'm a vinyl aficionado and record stores are littered with the carcasses of crap records from the 1950s (and 60s, too). It seems like it's all records that are orchestrated versions of popular songs of the day. Very weird, but it must have been super popular back in the day because those records are everywhere.

those are the few notable exceptions I mentioned. add Buddy Holly and Sam Cooke.

man, if I could sing like anyone in history, it would be Sam Cooke

"Orchestrated pop," like this? I swear you have to dig through dozens of copies of this album before finding something listenable at the thrifts or yard sales. I picked up a lot once at a yard sale of 500 albums for $50 and there must have been ten copies of this album in it. Did people buy multiple copies back then? Or maybe they came in cereal boxes? Or were handed out for free on street corners?

Herb Alpert.jpg

"Orchestrated pop," like this? I swear you have to dig through dozens of copies of this album before finding something listenable at the thrifts or yard sales. I picked up a lot once at a yard sale of 500 albums for $50 and there must have been ten copies of this album in it. Did people buy multiple copies back then? Or maybe they came in cereal boxes? Or were handed out for free on street corners?

View attachment 640768
Wow she kinda looks like Katy Perry.

View attachment 640768
Huh. I didn't before, but now I really feel like having dessert.

View attachment 640768

Yes people did buy multiples of the same album. They wore out and if you liked it you got another one. Kept the old one because you never knew if there was some shake from rolling and you were in a pinch.
Marriage also created duplicates

My youngest boy, who's still in college, has sudddenly become a vinyl lover. Wish I hadn't sold my boxfulls years ago for peanuts. I just bought a CSN&Y album off ebay for him, and also new DSOTM off Amazon. Felt funny buying albums for the first time in 35+ yrs?

My contribution to the topic: when christmas comes around, we don't turn on the radio in my house. Alvin and the Chipmunks drive me right up a wall, rampage-mode.

My youngest boy, who's still in college, has sudddenly become a vinyl lover. Wish I hadn't sold my boxfulls years ago for peanuts. I just bought a CSN&Y album off ebay for him, and also new DSOTM off Amazon. Felt funny buying albums for the first time in 35+ yrs?

My contribution to the topic: when christmas comes around, we don't turn on the radio in my house. Alvin and the Chipmunks drive me right up a wall, rampage-mode.

Dammit I didn't even click on that link and the chipmunks 'christmas time is here' is looping in my brain.
What's wrong with me?

Edit: Okay I clicked it and listened to it all the way through, hopefully that will cure me.

Last edited:
because I'm old. I still crank the car stereo up to max, but not the radio anymore. I have ALL my music on a thumb drive plugged into my car.

Oddly enough, I'm now getting back into car audio... At least in my Jeep. The top is off permanently these days, so I needed to boost the radio in order to hear it when on the freeway.

Which was first the main speakers being replaced and modifying the crossover frequency of the stock tweeters.

Just recently I added a new HU because my stock one didn't even have bluetooth, so I used a bluetooth->FM transmitter which wasn't great. And the stock HU didn't put out enough power, so I was in the "distortion zone" just to be able to hear.

Unfortunately I realized as I planned the build that the stock system was built around a completely underpowered 8ch amp that drives everything at 2 ohm. And although my head unit has RCA pre-outs, of course the stock amp doesn't have line level inputs, so I have to drive an amplifier with an amplified signal.

So the next step is an aftermarket amp, which will then push me to replace the sub aftermarket, and probably the tweeters.

All that for a car I drive <20% of the time...

Oddly enough, I'm now getting back into car audio... At least in my Jeep. The top is off permanently these days, so I needed to boost the radio in order to hear it when on the freeway.

Which was first the main speakers being replaced and modifying the crossover frequency of the stock tweeters.

Just recently I added a new HU because my stock one didn't even have bluetooth, so I used a bluetooth->FM transmitter which wasn't great. And the stock HU didn't put out enough power, so I was in the "distortion zone" just to be able to hear.

Unfortunately I realized as I planned the build that the stock system was built around a completely underpowered 8ch amp that drives everything at 2 ohm. And although my head unit has RCA pre-outs, of course the stock amp doesn't have line level inputs, so I have to drive an amplifier with an amplified signal.

So the next step is an aftermarket amp, which will then push me to replace the sub aftermarket, and probably the tweeters.

All that for a car I drive <20% of the time...
Alpine makes one that fits in the back, it's pretty cool. Start with speakers, imo.

I am a 70's to 80's rock kinda guy. I grew up then and love the classic rock bands. I do remember though at barbecues when I was young my father cranking his 50's doo whops, which he and his friends loved. Songs like "In The Still Of The Night", "Tonight Tonight", "Please Say You Want Me To", among many others where always in the background. So I did grow up appreciating that genre of music and all of that cool harmony.

John

Robert Earl Keen’s “Merry Christmas From The Family” will cure that.

Robert Earl Keen’s “Merry Christmas From The Family” will cure that.

Nope.
Now I have Alvin singing "Merry Christmas From The Family"...

I have to admit, it is pretty damn funny in my head, but I am sleep deprived and mentally exhausted- everything is pretty damn funny at this point.

Cotton Eye Joe. Just typing it gets that garbage pile stuck in my head.
+1 to Dave Matthews and throw in Blues Traveler too. Makes me want to punch something.
I love me some Herb Alpert, though. This is hanging above my couch.
1566518962539.jpeg

Hah! I actually like cotten eye Joe! I bought the CD just for that. Haven't listen to it in ages but just might have to bust it out.

Music is funny. Some like what others hate.

Still stuck on my first concert, where Bon Jovi opened for Ratt. Still like Ratt, can't stand that emer effer BJ. Funny it's the SWAMBOs favorite artist. Must be oil and water.....

Herb Alpert, Underachiever:

1. The "A" in "A&M Records."

2. "Alpert's musical accomplishments include five No. 1 albums and 28 albums total on the Billboard Album chart, nine Grammy Awards, fourteen platinum albums, and fifteen gold albums. Alpert has sold 72 million records worldwide."

3. "In 1966, over 13 million Alpert recordings were sold, outselling the Beatles." 1966! Outsold the Beatles!

A complete disappointment to his parents, but he soldiered on...

Rap so-called music
It wouldn't be as bad if there was a requirement that it be an instrumental.
It exists and falls under hip-hop.
Rapping is one of the elements of hip-hop, but you rarely hear anything that I would consider music on the radio. Most of what gets awards and airplay isn't part of hip-hop, its an abbreviation for the word, cRAP!

PM me or start a new thread if you want some names of some turntablists and producers who actually put out good music.

I'd be interested in some suggestions to check out.
Some are albums others are tracks. This can get you started. Should probably start a new thread as this is way off topic.

The Visioneers - ikes mood
J-Walk - a night on the Rocks
Pete Rock - PeteStumentals
J Boogie's Dubtronic Science
the alchemist - rapper's best friend: an instrumental series songs
DJ Mark Farina any of the mushroom jazz series.
DJ Shadow - Introducing
DJ Krush - beyond raging waves

Mercifully, the factory that I work at quit playing music over the PA system about a decade ago. It wasn't too bad when it was just variety every day, but someone had thought up 'theme days'. So all day Tuesdays was 100% country. And not the tolerable country of old, but it was whatever the new country is classified as. That was rough. I was super annoyed at first, but not having to deal with any type of holiday music also outweighs the negative. I couldn't hear much through the earplugs over my press hammering away anyway, but when I was in a less loud environment a handful of years ago, there was a point where hearing "Little Drummer Boy" made my eye twitch.

Latest posts

Back